Nokia EOS - Nokia Lumia 1020 phone leaked!

Comments

• MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    If you go for a 41MP camera certainly you intend to present your photos differently than watching them on a phone screen. Although a realistic presentation on the camera itself is important, too, at least for a good photographer. But then they would probably get a dedicated camera for that. So I guess the AMOLED would be fine for the photography enthusiasts, they shoot something and then sort through the photos later.

Someone buying such a phone is likely to want to change the settings to suit their preferences.

A photographer would want a good screen to help them figure out what are the right settings for their desired image.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    The screen is used more for composition.

41mp is not (normally) used in that mode, its more frequently used in 5 or 8mp mode to give lossless zoom or much improved image quality.

And I'd happily take the 808 with its AMOLED screen over my iPhone4S - you really can't see the iPhones screen that well in bright sunshine, no such issues with the 808 (due to the CBD layer).

The CBD layer is a polarising filter, no reason it can't be overlaid on top of a LCD screen other than there's often no need as LCD often can go brighter than AMOLED.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Someone buying such a phone is likely to want to change the settings to suit their preferences.

A photographer would want a good screen to help them figure out what are the right settings for their desired image.

Seriously?

As a moderately competent photographer i use the screen on my dslr for composition. i use my eyes for colour. I find it hard to imagine any photographer wanting to use a sepia mode or anything like that.

I think you are wrong basically. Even on expensive cameras the screens don't have great colour reproduction, and it changes with the lighting.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    The CBD layer is a polarising filter, no reason it can't be overlaid on top of a LCD screen other than there's often no need as LCD often can go brighter than AMOLED.

Reflection cutting aside.. Surely a polarising filter would actually darken the screen?
    Forum Member
    Reflection cutting aside.. Surely a polarising filter would actually darken the screen?

It depends if the light coming off the screen is polarized.

Like all LCD screens have a polarizer, because that is how they work.
  • daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A birdie told me that it would be out sometime between sept and oct and that it WOULD have a SD card slot
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's inherent in the technology - the Galaxy S line still has these issues compared to the iPhone and HTC One.
    When in Adobe RGB or movie mode, the S4's screen produces more accurate colours than either the iPhone 5's or the HTC One's.
    So there's no inherent problems with AMOLED panels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Seriously?

As a moderately competent photographer i use the screen on my dslr for composition. i use my eyes for colour. I find it hard to imagine any photographer wanting to use a sepia mode or anything like that.

I think you are wrong basically. Even on expensive cameras the screens don't have great colour reproduction, and it changes with the lighting.

Surely a moderately competent photographer would be using the optical viewfinder on an SLR not the screen for composition? Otherwise what's the point of an SLR over an SLM or SLD?

Sepia mode? We're not talking about instagram here mate! We're talking about white balance, colour profiles etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    When in Adobe RGB or movie mode, the S4's screen produces more accurate colours than either the iPhone 5's or the HTC One's.
    So there's no inherent problems with AMOLED panels.

Whilst I've seen reports that movie mode improves the screen a lot, I haven't seen anything about it being better.

Link?
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I've seen reports that movie mode improves the screen a lot, I haven't seen anything about it being better.

Link?
    This article and the one it links to.

GSMArena says that in movie mode the colour reproduction is described as 'very natural', with green reproduction all but perfect and red and blue very close too. If you then look at the source article and compare the graphs, you see that overall the colour levels for the S4, in movie mode in particular, are closer to 100% accurate than either the iPhone5 or HTC One.
    Forum Member
    Surely a moderately competent photographer would be using the optical viewfinder on an SLR not the screen for composition? Otherwise what's the point of an SLR over an SLM or SLD?

Sepia mode? We're not talking about instagram here mate! We're talking about white balance, colour profiles etc.

You're assuming there is a problem that you have no evidence to support.

as for white balance. why would you need a good colour screen for that. you could do it on a black and white screen. unless you are imagining doing it by eye and having a screen in exactly the same colour space as your output.

The whole notion of professional photography and a phone camera is absurd. at best it'll take decent snaps. but that is unrelated to using an amoled screen or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More pics have leaked this time of the front and back of the Nokia EOS.

Those newest alleged specs of the EOS:

- 41MP camera with Xenon flash
    - Nokia Pro Camera
    - 32GB internal
    - OLED Screen 768X1280
    - WP8 V 8.0.10322.71
    - FM radio
    - Flip to silence
    - Polycarbonate body
    - Takes a 35MP picture and a 5MP picture at the same time one to save one to share
    - Comes in yellow
    - No SD card
    - About 1mm thinner than Lumia 920 with a big camera hump
    - No visible OS changes

http://www.phonearena.com/news/41-MP-Nokia-EOS-specs-and-pics-leak-again-AT-T-version-named-Elvis_id43703
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM radio, flip to silence is new for WP8. It's out only as a beta atm, it will come out officially in a month or two.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The permanent camera that was on the Nokia N9 with the tap-to-wake feature is coming soon to the Lumia 925 and then to other Lumias. No doubt this will have it too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    41MP camera officially confirmed for the Nokia EOS.

Really curious about this now. Only 3 weeks away before we get to see it.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    41MP camera officially confirmed for the Nokia EOS.

Really curious about this now. Only 3 weeks away before we get to see it.

So it's the 808 sensor in a WP8 device. About time.

Wonder if the camera app will have the flexibility of the 808 application, or if it'll be more like the standard WP application?

While many may knock the 808, the camera application really is excellent. Only lacks the artificial horizon, but then there are apps for that .... :D
    Forum Member
    It's over a year since the nokia 808 was launched.

you'd have to assume that in 17 months they had done some work on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    It's over a year since the nokia 808 was launched.

you'd have to assume that in 17 months they had done some work on it.

IIRC the 808 had a special co-processor just for the camera?
    And special software etc. A lot of work was needed on the software side to bring this to WP.

Apparently this may well also combine the Lumia 920 OIS tech. From the 920 to the 925 they made an improvement to the camera by adding that sixth element to the lens. Similar refinements to the lens that was on the 808 may debut on the EOS.

Also, the inside word is that although the camera lenses are branded Carl Zeiss, they are all apparently made by Canon.
    Forum Member
    OIS would certainly be nice. interesting about the lenses. but that still leaves the sensor. i wonder if that has changed.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IIRC the 808 had a special co-processor just for the camera?
    And special software etc. A lot of work was needed on the software side to bring this to WP.

Apparently this may well also combine the Lumia 920 OIS tech. From the 920 to the 925 they made an improvement to the camera by adding that sixth element to the lens. Similar refinements to the lens that was on the 808 may debut on the EOS.

Also, the inside word is that although the camera lenses are branded Carl Zeiss, they are all apparently made by Canon.

Yup, it has two GPUs - one for normal display work, the other for handling the 41mp data stream and performing the pureview processing.

Zeiss branded but made by canon is interesting - seems unlikely.
  • Stuart PStuart P Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wilt wrote: »
    I really don't like that hump on the back.
    i'd rather have that than a phone with a sub par camera that takes just ok pictures
  • Stuart PStuart P Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    While many may knock the 808, the camera application really is excellent.
    agree. there is nothing currently available in a phone that can touch the 808 camera. until now :)
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People here saying the S4 is the closest competitor camera wise to this? have you ever seen the Nokia Lumia 925's pictures? even the HTC One
    Forum Member
    People here saying the S4 is the closest competitor camera wise to this? have you ever seen the Nokia Lumia 925's pictures? even the HTC One

This is quite a good tool.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/piccmp.php3?idType=1
    Though they don't have the 925 yet.