Cruelty to horses exposed at Red Lion Abattoir

2»

Comments

• Options
    HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't bring myself to watch the video.

Just reading the article makes me feel sick.

The sick thing is the video is quite tame compared to others i've seen. It's very disturbing don't get me wrong!
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    This was on the news earlier. It's pretty horrible. An apparently stunned horse coming round from the stun whilst it is suspended in mid air awaiting slaughter.

Does that happen to just horses, or is there a chance of it happening to cows, goats, chickens, etc that a lot of people eat?
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,058
    Forum Member
    Interesting that people are upset about this, but thing nothing of wolfing down unstunned halal and kosher meat, which is an extremely cruel method of slaughter. The hypocrisy stinks.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is what happens when consumers demand cheap products. Supermarkets etc put pressure on suppliers to cut their costs and animal welfare goes out the window. Pats on the head instead of jail time and a cut in government inspectors means these people have no fear of what will happen if caught. I'm glad I dont eat meat. None of this will ever be done on my behalf.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    Seems pretty strange to do a whole piece on cruelty in an abattoir. Isn't that like going to a prison and complaining that people are locked inside cells??

No it would be more like going to a prison complaining inmates are being torture.

I am totally against the actions of this abattoir but we must remember these actions are already illegal.

I for one eat meat but don't support any cruelty to livestock and believe they should be treated with respect at all times even in a abattoir.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I for one eat meat but don't support any cruelty to livestock and believe they should be treated with respect at all times even in a abattoir.

I hope don't eat non pre stunned halal or kosher meat then!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    Does that happen to just horses, or is there a chance of it happening to cows, goats, chickens, etc that a lot of people eat?

Probably does in disreputable establishments. It's probably a bit more shocking(really, no pun intended) because we generally don't associate horses with food here. They're pets, working animals, and racers rather than mince.
  • Options
    Amnesia HazeAmnesia Haze Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    Not hypocrisy - you can eat meat but choose products that signify the animal has been treated humanely.

Why? It's inhumane to kill them in the first place.
  • Options
    Amnesia HazeAmnesia Haze Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spkx wrote: »

It happens everywhere. There's been plenty of studies into it, but apparently it's the way Muslims and Jews kill their animals that's the issue :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why? It's inhumane to kill them in the first place.

I disagree. Human Beings are historically omnivores. Many species of animals eat other animals. However as intelligent creatures we can ensure the animals we eat lead good lives and die painlessly and without stress, indeed I believe we have a moral duty to ensure this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    I hope don't eat non pre stunned halal or kosher meat then!

Hope you don't eat in KFC.....