Thirty years of compulsory seatbelts.

2»

Comments

• Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mackara wrote: »
    First time I ever heard of that, do you have a link?

My secretary has posted the link for you (above);)

Blimey I thought nanscombe was a she.:eek:
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as you don't expect me to sit on your knee!!! :eek:

shhhhh wrote: »
    ... Blimey I thought nanscombe was a she.:eek:

Not the last time I looked. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    As long as you don't expect me to sit on your knee!!! :eek:

Gulp..........:eek:
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:D:o :rolleyes:
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Here's the one study I found ... Cycle helmets - a hard case to crack
    Hardly factual as his findings were found to be nonsense and I certainly would not believe a doctor who tested the helmet/non helmet theory by dressing up in a womans wig and riding a bike, its just crazy to think that was a scientific test.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardly factual as his findings were found to be nonsense and I certainly would not believe a doctor who tested the helmet/non helmet theory by dressing up in a womans wig and riding a bike, its just crazy to think that was a scientific test.

And guess what?????

I just knew you wouldnt believe it.:rolleyes:

It would be unenforceable anyway.
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    The only person who survived the Diana crash was the one wearing a seatbelt.
    Isn't that because of the conspiracy? :D
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And guess what?????

I just knew you wouldnt believe it.:rolleyes:

It would be unenforceable anyway.

Perhaps the good doctor should have worn a mini skirt, suspenders and a pair of fishnet stockings as well as a wig, his findings were a joke . Compulsory helmet wearing is easy to enforce as it was 40 years ago with other road users and which has greatly reduced serious injury.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the good doctor should have worn a mini skirt, suspenders and a pair of fishnet stockings as well as a wig, his findings were a joke . Compulsory helmet wearing is easy to enforce as it was 40 years ago with other road users and which has greatly reduced serious injury.

Reasons why its unenforceable:

1..........You cannot get banned from riding a pushbike.

2............Cycles dont have any number plates to identify the rider.

3............The police force would never be allowed to chase after cycles in their patrol cars. They might be allowed to follow, but at a really safe distance.

4.............Cycles can go where police cars cannot.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reasons why its unenforceable:

1..........You cannot get banned from riding a pushbike.

2............Cycles dont have any number plates to identify the rider.

3............The police force would never be allowed to chase after cycles in their patrol cars. They might be allowed to follow, but at a really safe distance.

4.............Cycles can go where police cars cannot.

Also, children as young as 4 can ride pushbikes, they can't be enforced and neither can their parents!
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If half are on their phone, it cant be that unsafe, or there would be far more accidents.

Well, the white van man swerving on a country road in front of my dad the other day was on his phone.

And the pedestrian who just walked across the road without looking was also on her phone - had my dad been going any faster......
  • Options
    djcityboydjcityboy Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Why isn't it compulsory to wear seat belts whilst on a bus that has seat belts fitted? The amount of times I have seen people not wear seat belts whilst on buses with seat belts fitted is shocking!
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it 30 years since it was compulsory for cars to have seat belts, or only seat belts in the front or what?

Because I'm only 25 and my granddad's car definitely didn't have seat belts when I was 7, whilst I remember sitting on my mum's knee on family holidays in the back of the car for a good few years.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure why it's compulsory anyway. If someone wants to risk it then surely that's up to them?
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Is it 30 years since it was compulsory for cars to have seat belts, or only seat belts in the front or what?

Because I'm only 25 and my granddad's car definitely didn't have seat belts when I was 7, whilst I remember sitting on my mum's knee on family holidays in the back of the car for a good few years.

It is not compulsory for cars to have seat belts; it is thirty years since it was compulsory to wear them in the front, if fitted. However all cars built since the mid sixties have to have seat belts in the front and all built since '87 must have them in the back.
    If a car has belts in the back it is compulsory to wear them (since 1991).

Your Grandfather's car could well have had no belts if it was over 30 years old in 1995. Since 2006 it has been illegal to carry a child under 3 in a car with no belts.
  • Options
    thapthapthapthap Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I appreciate the safety of the modern vehicle, however I far prefer jumping into the seat of something classic with no modern health & safety crap installed and taking her for a spin.
    You keep on your toes and the drive is fantastic, modern cars are totally 'pedestrian' in comparison.

Although no where near as safe the motoring world was much more fun 50 years ago :) - the price you pay for progress