Death in Paradise - Series 2

Comments

• RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    00tommo wrote: »
    Reading the end of that it says that Fidel is leaving? Is that correct? Leaving the show? That'd be a real shame.

Yeah Wiki also has him as leaving in the first episode of S4
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    00tommo wrote: »
    Reading the end of that it says that Fidel is leaving? Is that correct? Leaving the show? That'd be a real shame.
    RFS wrote: »
    Yeah Wiki also has him as leaving in the first episode of S4
    Yes Gary Carr is leaving. Here's the official press release that the story came from.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/death-in-paradise-casting

Some good guest stars.

"With filming underway for the hotly anticipated fourth series of Red Planet Pictures’ hit crime drama Death In Paradise for BBC One, it has been announced today that the stellar line-up of guest stars will include comedy actor and presenter Tyger Drew-Honey, Strictly Come Dancing runner-up Natalie Gumede and Downton Abbey star Amy Nuttall.

Filmed on the Caribbean island of Guadeloupe, the sun-soaked drama starring Kris Marshall has gone from strength to strength over the past three series, pulling in an average consolidated figure of almost 8.5 million viewers and cementing its position as one of BBC One’s highest rating midweek dramas.

Other guest stars joining Saint Marie’s finest include: Will Mellor (Broadchurch), Rosie Cavaliero (A Young Doctor’s Notebook), Hetti Bywater (Eastenders), Simon Day (The Fast Show), Leo Staar (Call The Midwife), Don Gilet (Holby City), Katarina Cas (The Wolf Of Wall Street), William Ash (The Last Witch), David Bamber (What Remains), Claire Goose (Mount Pleasant), Sharon D Clarke (The Shadow Line), Ali Bastian (Hollyoaks), Susannah Fielding (The Knot) and Amanda Root (The Iron Lady)."
    Forum Member
    So what's the bet the new sergeant will be the love interest/triangle for Humph/Camille as a plot device...?

And the prospect of the Commissioner getting more invoved sounds a hoot. Maybe the one good thing to come from Ben Miller leaving is the development of the other characters ...
  • nic6nic6 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Mike_HowlandMike_Howland Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    nic6 wrote: »

Can't compete with Camille though!:p
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We love this programme but my OH admits to mainly watching it because of Camille!
  • Wench02Wench02 Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please stop this after series 4 BBC. Sorry but the last series was OK, now another one of the "main" characters is leaving, quit whilst your still (kind of) ahead.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wench02 wrote: »
    Please stop this after series 4 BBC. Sorry but the last series was OK, now another one of the "main" characters is leaving, quit whilst your still (kind of) ahead.

It got its best ratings ever after it changed its lead, not just in Britain but France and Australia too. It's making the writer a tidy amount as well. It's not going just yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I have said previously that the third series was watchable, the acting and plotlines are very thin in comparison to series one and two.

I cannot see it getting any better.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There is no reason to end it after S4.

Fidel was a side character, and if a new woman comes in, it will freshen up the dynamic between Camille and Humph and maybe give Dwayne a running love interest. As for S3 being "OK", frankly after a couple of episodes I preferred Kris's character to Bens.
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind too much that "Fidel "is leaving. For entertainment value, I prefer "Dwayne" and I'm sure his interraction with the new female officer will provide some comic moments.

In any case, "Fidel" is just working on another island so there's always scope for him to return or make a guest appearance. At least he's not being killed off.

As for Kris Marshall, I'm really surprised how well he fitted into the lead role, considering Ben was so popular. He's much better than I expected and after a couple of episodes I didn't miss "Richard" anymore.

Looking forward to series 4. Hopefully, the writers are still able to come up with some intriguing mysteries for us.
    Forum Member
    Well I was always a fan of the whole Richard/Camille dynamic, and I think Kris did ok in fitting in - sometimes the gags/dialogue seemed a little forced, but no more so than the first series when the characters were finding their feet.

Personally I am really looking forward to seeing what the changes add - Ben's leaving helped develop the other characters a little which was no bad thing, so hopefully that can continue.
  • mds143mds143 Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    D.I.P. is one of my favourite Shows.

Changing the lead character worked out very well (although I thought Ben was great).

I think a new character for Fidel won't hurt and maybe we'll get a bit more from Dwayne.
    Although I find it hard to watch him without singing the

"I'm gonna catch you Little fishy" song.
    (From Red Dwarf) :)
    Forum Member
    mds143 wrote: »
    D.I.P. is one of my favourite Shows.

Changing the lead character worked out very well (although I thought Ben was great).

I think a new character for Fidel won't hurt and maybe we'll get a bit more from Dwayne.
    Although I find it hard to watch him without singing the

"I'm gonna catch you Little fishy" song.
    (From Red Dwarf) :)

Thank God for that - I thought I was the only one!!!! :D
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit strange if "Fidel" is leaving.

They interviewed Gary at the superbikes one Sunday and he mentioned that he was about to fly to Guadeloupe to film the next series "someones got to do it har har etc etc" - no mention that he was leaving it at all.
  • nic6nic6 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    There is no reason to end it after S4.

Fidel was a side character, and if a new woman comes in, it will freshen up the dynamic between Camille and Humph and maybe give Dwayne a running love interest. As for S3 being "OK", frankly after a couple of episodes I preferred Kris's character to Bens.

Quite correct, for me the worst episode was no.6 of series 1 called "An Unhelpful Aid" . :p
  • joel turcottejoel turcotte Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    Bit strange if "Fidel" is leaving.

They interviewed Gary at the superbikes one Sunday and he mentioned that he was about to fly to Guadeloupe to film the next series "someones got to do it har har etc etc" - no mention that he was leaving it at all.

It was Danny John-Jules interviewed at BSB, he is Dwayne Myers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Err.. Last series was best yet, Kris Marshall was brilliant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    Err.. Last series was best yet, Kris Marshall was brilliant.

Errr..... maybe not everyone thinks that, personally I think it was very poor compared to one and two!
    Forum Member
    It was nice to watch the Making of on the DVD where both BM and SM said it was frustrating that their characters hadn't got together - but it also has to be said... the handover and the cast all do seem to gel as well as when BM was part of the series...

So if they're happy then who are we punters to argue!

Anyway - with my heating inexplcably firing up at 5am this morning, I am waiting for Season 4 to warm the winter away now.... (not that I really want to wish the rest of the year away!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Do you think we will get to see the mysterious Juliet before Fidel leaves?
    Forum Member
    Thurinius wrote: »
    Do you think we will get to see the mysterious Juliet before Fidel leaves?

Hahah - probably an Indistinct figure waving from the ferry as they head off to Guadaloupe or Basse-Terre!
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was a bit daft of the Beeb to start repeats of Season 3 only to stop after 2 episodes and replace it with the new season of New Tricks
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    I thought it was a bit daft of the Beeb to start repeats of Season 3 only to stop after 2 episodes and replace it with the new season of New Tricks
    Yes it did seem daft, but I'm hoping they pick up on season 3 repeats in the run up period to series 4. I missed a couple.
    Forum Member
    I did wonder what had happened to those!!!!!