Options

Why do people on here turn on and diss a character who was popular in Easties?

Black VelvetBlack Velvet Posts: 702
Forum Member
✭✭
Why oh why do viewers of Eastenders end up dissing a character who was popular on these forums? I'm talking in particular about Jo Joyner who was very popular on here until recently.
Do viewers ever think that its down to the producer and writers that a popular character has become unpopular?
I was totally amazed the other night on here reading that some were wanting Derek Branning back after what started off as being a good character then viewers started to hate him on here until he was eventually killed off.
Posters on here were like a pack of wolves tearing his character apart and the actual actor himself. So excuse me if I was really taken aback by a sudden change in opinion of some about him.
It's the old story "Be careful what you wish for" as you might just get your dream come true.
I don't know if its true but I read sometime last year on here that the writers producer and cast read these soap forums.
People seem to forget how marvellous Tanya was when she was suffering from cancer. She's a great actress and its been unfair all this dissing of her.
She is taking time out six months I believe to be with her children then she will be back.
As much as I like Kirsty her character is nowhere near as good as Tanya.
Her and Max do not have the same repore on screen as he and Tanya have.
I read some people here not wanting Tanya to come back. Well if its anything like what I read the other night about people wishing that Derek was still in it then if Tanya doesn't come back you'll regret it mark my words.
I have even seen people not wanting Phil and Kat to stay in Easties when they are great characters.
As I say just be careful what you wish for as it might come true then down the line people regret that they aren't still in the soap anymore.

Comments

• Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    It isn't to do with the actors, I don't think: I think it's more to do with the fact that the writing is terrible for those characters. Jo Joyner seems to be a perfectly fine actress, but as long as she is in EE TPTB will have Tanya and Max constantly falling in and out of love and getting with each other, only to break up again, only to get back together again, and it's annoying. People seem to be sick of that same story being told over and over. Ditto Kat and Alfie, ditto Phil. Sharon was brought back and everyone knew as soon as it was announced that Phil and Sharon would be getting back together.

We don't' want the same thing again; we want something new and interesting. Well, I do, anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps some people didn't think her that great to begin with?
    I certainly didn't.

Loved her in No Angels though.
  • Options
    EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    los.kav wrote: »
    It isn't to do with the actors, I don't think: I think it's more to do with the fact that the writing is terrible for those characters. Jo Joyner seems to be a perfectly fine actress, but as long as she is in EE TPTB will have Tanya and Max constantly falling in and out of love and getting with each other, only to break up again, only to get back together again, and it's annoying. People seem to be sick of that same story being told over and over. Ditto Kat and Alfie, ditto Phil. Sharon was brought back and everyone knew as soon as it was announced that Phil and Sharon would be getting back together.

We don't' want the same thing again; we want something new and interesting. Well, I do, anyway.
    Yeah but it doesn't mean Jo Joyner can't return at some point and Jo and Jake have got really good onscreen chemistry
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps some people didn't think her that great to begin with?
    I certainly didn't.

Loved her in No Angels though.

Are you talking about Jo? Didn't you like Tanya in 2006 and 2007 before she buried Max alive?
  • Options
    hetty100hetty100 Posts: 4,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the writing and storylines that are bad not the actors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you talking about Jo? Didn't you like Tanya in 2006 and 2007 before she buried Max alive?

No I've never found Tanya endearing or a particularly sympathetic character MG, she's always thought herself better than others - especially Max with whom she's equally as flawed - yet nothing is ever her fault, always his / everybody else's.

I don't blame the actress though, she was fantastic as Beth in No Angels.

I just don't particularly like Tanya Branning, never have.
    Poor excuse for a mother & one of the biggest hypocrites to have lived on the Square.
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Tanya was good until she buried Max alive, her credibility was thrown out the window. That is no reflection on Jo Joyner who has given good performances since but I can't take Tanya seriously ever since.

To be honest, Jo doesn't seem to these days either. She seems as fed up as the viewers and I can't blame her.

Also I totally agree about No Angels, her character was so good. She was like a Stacey/Janine combo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I've never found Tanya endearing or a particularly sympathetic character MG, she's always thought herself better than others - especially Max with whom she's equally as flawed - yet nothing is ever her fault, always his / everybody else's.

I don't blame the actress though, she was fantastic as Beth in No Angels.

I just don't particularly like Tanya Branning, never have.
    Poor excuse for a mother & one of the biggest hypocrites to have lived on the Square.

Did you like Tanya in 2006 and 2007? Did you think Tanya was a good mother to Abi and Lauren in 2006 and 2007?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tanya was good until she buried Max alive, her credibility was thrown out the window. That is no reflection on Jo Joyner who has given good performances since but I can't take Tanya seriously ever since.

To be honest, Jo doesn't seem to these days either. She seems as fed up as the viewers and I can't blame her.

Also I totally agree about No Angels, her character was so good. She was like a Stacey/Janine combo.

If you were EP of Eastenders from 2007-present what would you of done with Tanya after the affair reveal? Do you believe that Jo will return to Eastenders at some point and maybe the break could be good for her and just relax and be with her children and just to fresh up until she is ready to return?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you were EP of Eastenders from 2007-present what would you of done with Tanya after the affair reveal?

Had her move on from Max, looked after her kids properly and herself.

Obviously there would have to be drama in her life for her to work as a character but I wouldn't have this on/off balls with Max still haunting the show 6 years later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah but it doesn't mean Jo Joyner can't return at some point and Jo and Jake have got really good onscreen chemistry

Did I f**kin say she couldn't?
  • Options
    felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    Why oh why do viewers of Eastenders end up dissing a character who was popular on these forums? I'm talking in particular about Jo Joyner who was very popular on here until recently.
    Do viewers ever think that its down to the producer and writers that a popular character has become unpopular?
    I was totally amazed the other night on here reading that some were wanting Derek Branning back after what started off as being a good character then viewers started to hate him on here until he was eventually killed off.
    Posters on here were like a pack of wolves tearing his character apart and the actual actor himself. So excuse me if I was really taken aback by a sudden change in opinion of some about him.

Had it occurred to you that it might not be the same people? :confused: Posters on DS do not form one congruent entity. I'd imagine the people wishing Derek hadn't been killed off wouldn't be the same people calling for him to be killed off in the first place.
    It's the old story "Be careful what you wish for" as you might just get your dream come true.
    I don't know if its true but I read sometime last year on here that the writers producer and cast read these soap forums.
    People seem to forget how marvellous Tanya was when she was suffering from cancer. She's a great actress and its been unfair all this dissing of her.

And had it occurred to you that not everybody thought she was so 'marvelous' in the first place?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had her move on from Max, looked after her kids properly and herself.

Obviously there would have to be drama in her life for her to work as a character but I wouldn't have this on/off balls with Max still haunting the show 6 years later.

Would you of had Max and Tanya get back together eventually like in 2009 or 2011 and maybe had a tragedy bring them back together like Oscar falling ill or Max falling ill or something like that or may got them back together at some point but maybe have one of them be in a accident so then its not a happy reunion or had Tanya die from Cervical Cancer and then have Max be a single dad? Would you of still shown the chemistry between Jo Joyner and Jake Wood onscreen and shown that Max and Tanya still love each other but resist temptation
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you like Tanya in 2006 and 2007? Did you think Tanya was a good mother to Abi and Lauren in 2006 and 2007?

Erm, as per my last post, no.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Would you of had Max and Tanya get back together eventually like in 2009 or 2011 and maybe had a tragedy bring them back together like Oscar falling ill or Max falling ill or something like that or may got them back together at some point but maybe have one of them be in a accident so then its not a happy reunion or had Tanya die from Cervical Cancer and then have Max be a single dad? Would you of still shown the chemistry between Jo Joyner and Jake Wood onscreen and shown that Max and Tanya still love each other but resist temptation

Nope.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did I f**kin say she couldn't?

No you didn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope.

Would you of shown that they still love each other and resist temptation?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No you didn't.

Well there you go then. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Nope.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well there you go then. :)

Do you want Jo to return to Eastenders at some point? Who would you rather have in Eastenders Jo Joyner or David Witts, Tony Discipline, Jasmyn Banks, Himesh Patel, the actor who plays Aj or Tameka Empson?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope.

I think Max and Tanya will always love each other do you think they will? Would you of had Max and Tanya be friends and shown a spark between them? Would you of had Tanya get cervical cancer and have Max support the mother of his children just as a friend? How would you of written Tanya out 2009 and bought her back in 2010?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you want Jo to return to Eastenders at some point? Who would you rather have in Eastenders Jo Joyner or David Witts, Tony Discipline, Jasmyn Banks, Himesh Patel, the actor who plays Aj or Tameka Empson?

Can I only choose one? If so, Himesh Patel. If i can choose two, then Paul Sharma who plays AJ as well. I prefer both Tamwar and AJ to Tanya. That being said, I don't think Jo Joyner is leaving for good. She'll be back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I only choose one? If so, Himesh Patel. If i can choose two, then Paul Sharma who plays AJ as well. I prefer both Tamwar and AJ to Tanya. That being said, I don't think Jo Joyner is leaving for good. She'll be back.

I don't think Jo is leaving for good neither unless Tanya is killed off or unless Jo says she doesn't ever want to return and she wants Tanya to be killed off but Simon Ashdown and Lorraine Newman would probably want Jo to return. When a soap character doesn't get killed off we just have to say never say never to someone returning. If you were EP of Eastenders from 2007-present what would you of done with Tanya and would you of bought Bianca back? You can choose as many as you like
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or can she return, EE will most likely say, "we have no plans to bring back Tanya Branning"7
    I really want her to come back!
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Definitely not.