A Tory is making money out of people downloading" Ding Dong the witch is dead"

2»

Comments

• IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another irony - 'ding dong' is swelling the coffers of prominent Tory - Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber.

I wonder if he'll donate his royalties to offset the funeral expenses.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are people really buying the Lloyd Webber version instead of the original?

I wonder in what proportions...

Sounds like another Mail "exclusive".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »

I wonder in what proportions.
    Downloads of the song from the music mogul’s 2011 West End production are outselling that from the 1939 Wizard Of Oz film on one of the country’s most popular download sites.

Taken from this article:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2308799/Lloyd-Webbers-Ding-Dong-royalties-Composer-earning-money-Wizard-Oz-song-downloads-anti-Thatcher-activists-trying-to-No-1.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »

I wonder in what proportions...

Sounds like another Mail "exclusive".
    It's been reported in other publications.

Let me believe it - I just love the irony.:p
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I'm a fan of musicals and film soundtracks, and although I did download the original for the chart position, I've now checked out this version for the normal reasons, one more download I'm afraid. Sometimes the work you admire and that inspires you will be made by someone with Tory beliefs or anything else you may not personally agree with, it is the work I judge not the person behind it. I wouldn't purposefully avoid downloading it for this reason.

I do think the original version of the song is way better, I've just been listening to it and so many touches were not included in the Lloyd Webber version, I've listened to the original Wizard Of Oz version anyway and so much of the music is not included by the Lloyd Webber version, the munchkinland songs in general are probably some of the most classic songs ever written for a film, even better than many Disney classics.

I do think for the Thatcher protest purpose, a punk band covering "Ding Dong" would have been best, in the style of the Sex Pistols, then there would have been a more original chart song to mark history and peoples divisive feelings towards Thatcher.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »

Not true. The only versions which counted were the ones from the film - there were two or three versions. The ALW version didn't chart in the top 40 on iTunes and wasn't even mentioned in the chart forum I look at. Neither was it pushed by the Facebook campaign. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere until today.

Barrels being scraped, I reckon.

ETA: Here we go:
    Music download website, 7digital said the recording by Lloyd Webber’s cast at the London Palladium was outselling the original film version because it shows up first on its search engine.

The website would not confirm how many people had downloaded the track, but a spokesman said it was in the hundreds.

So not the 50k+ that the original sold.