Options

BBC and Pudsey P&P

CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
Forum Member
✭✭
I am thinking of getting a plush Pudsey to be my new bike lock key ring

http://www.bbcchildreninneedshop.co.uk/mini-pudsey-keyring.html

However at £4.25 P&O, its not worth it, how is that P&P anything for Pudsey to brag about, is any of money going to CiN, I dont think so. Ive sold a litlte bit on eBay no way it costs that much to send out such a small item.

Whats the deal?

Comments

• Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The deal is, you are a cheapskate. It is £4.25 no matter what you order. Be more generous and the deal will get better.:p
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    The deal is, you are a cheapskate. It is £4.25 no matter what you order. Be more generous and the deal will get better.:p

Quite:
    Pay £4.25 postage, no matter what you order! Sent via First Class post from Friday 7th November!

Rather similar to ordering packets of seed - for example Suttons charge £1.99 per order, regardless as to whether it's one packet of seed, or twenty packets (*which could include bulky, heavy packets of broad bean seeds, or just a single flat packet of .foxglove seeds).

http://support.suttons.co.uk/Knowledgebase/Article/View/54/5/what-are-your-delivery-charges

It's an incentive to buy more.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC has been pushed to behave commercially for years, and this is what that looks like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    The BBC has been pushed to behave commercially for years, and this is what that looks like.

That is wrong.

BBC Children in Need is a registered charity.

No-one would expect such a charity to be run on non-commercial lines, it simply would not be viable, and would not raise what it does.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

Children In Need in particular is run on a much more commercially effective basis than it was, say, 15 years ago and in that time, its income has doubled.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    Children In Need in particular is run on a much more commercially effective basis than it was, say, 15 years ago and in that time, its income has doubled.

Should the BBC not behave ethically? "Other people are doing it" is the excuse that BBC executives tend to use when caught out in some dodgy immoral (but legal) scam.

Principles are important for charities, just as important for their existence as the actual donations.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is just unfortunate with such a small item. They are probably trying to keep costs down by simplifying postage rates.

Some of the cost is handling i.e. getting the item, wrapping, sticking in an envelope and fixing label and postage. That will be same for one as for two or three.

It's just unfortunate but any extra cost is going to the charity not to the postal company.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    I suspect the reason for the flat rate postage is fairly simple, it tends to cost a lot to implement variable postage that is effective (and it's time consuming, as you have to set the system up with the weight and size of every item, then test that it actually works with different variations).

£4.25 is about the price RM now charge for "small parcels" (up to about 2.5cm thick), and about what some couriers charge if you have an account with them for packages that are much larger/heavier.

So minimum cost to post something from the the CIN store using RM (at normal over the counter prices) would be something like 93p + packaging, with most of the stuff on there looking to require at least small parcel shipping (starting at about £3.20 for over the counter, not including packaging).
    £4.25 would also allow for the a lot of bulk courier shipments that are much larger (but courier prices don't tend to drop much below that).

Suddenly a fixed rate of about £4 for shipping starts to make sense in terms of simplicity of the store system and cost of actual shipping given the items being sold.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    I think it is just unfortunate with such a small item. They are probably trying to keep costs down by simplifying postage rates.

Some of the cost is handling i.e. getting the item, wrapping, sticking in an envelope and fixing label and postage. That will be same for one as for two or three.

It's just unfortunate but any extra cost is going to the charity not to the postal company.

Agh you posted whilst I was typing and checking pricing on RM etc.
    I used to know RM pricing fairly well, but they've changed it recently so there are now about 5 basic shipping options, not taking into account first/second class or compensation levels (so I was playing with the pricing calculator).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • Options
    hugonhugon Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is 'fair'?

Show your working please, rather than just plucking a number from there air.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    well that is kinda true, and yeah I know its £4.25 whatever I order, that is what I think is odd.

Also being more generous is not the issue here, that £4.25 is going on P&P not Children In Need.
    Nilrem wrote: »
    I suspect the reason for the flat rate postage is fairly simple, it tends to cost a lot to implement variable postage that is effective (and it's time consuming, as you have to set the system up with the weight and size of every item, then test that it actually works with different variations).

£4.25 is about the price RM now charge for "small parcels" (up to about 2.5cm thick), and about what some couriers charge if you have an account with them for packages that are much larger/heavier.

So minimum cost to post something from the the CIN store using RM (at normal over the counter prices) would be something like 93p + packaging, with most of the stuff on there looking to require at least small parcel shipping (starting at about £3.20 for over the counter, not including packaging).
    £4.25 would also allow for the a lot of bulk courier shipments that are much larger (but courier prices don't tend to drop much below that).

Suddenly a fixed rate of about £4 for shipping starts to make sense in terms of simplicity of the store system and cost of actual shipping given the items being sold.
    ill go with that, but the website cant be selling much, there is not much on it that the £4.25 is not a large amount to add on top, the large plush Pudseys are the only thing that come to mind.
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These organisations sub contract the packaging and labelling to outside companies, which obviously have to be paid. For example, when you by a new cellphone the box contains a plastic formed layer, which contains the phone, battery, charger, leads etc. The phone manufacturer supplies these 'loose' to a packaging company, who then assemble the parts, put them in the tray and then into the box. That is what you pay for. And remember it's shown as a seperate item because there is no VAT on postage and packing!
  • Options
    thecolonelthecolonel Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    terry wogan's fee has got to come from somewhere....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thecolonel wrote: »
    terry wogan's fee has got to come from somewhere....

Ah, that old chestnut ...... brought up each year on DS.

He does not take (keep) a fee.

He was paid a fee some years ago (2007)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And remember it's shown as a seperate item because there is no VAT on postage and packing!

I'm not 100% sure, but IIRC there is VAT on postage/packing as it's seen as a "service".
    There isn't vat on stamps or normal RM deliveries if you send them yourself from the post office, but the act of getting someone to pack and post something is classed differently as I understand it (I'm not sure but I think couriers are also VAT-able).
    I believe it applies if postage is charged separately to the overall charge, or if the items being posted are eligible for VAT, so a book with postage included in the total price may be zero rated, but a package with a book and a DVD and postage added separately would have VAT on the full postage.
    Basically normal post is seen as an essential, getting someone to post something for you is a "luxury".

I've got a feeling it changed sometime in the early 2000's, probably about the time that internet orders started to get big (and the Mr Brown realised the treasury was missing out on some income).
    It could also be that someone at the treasury/HMRC looked at postage and realised that the old rules were too easy....