Options

Homeland on Ch4 (UK Pace) - No Spoilers!

Comments

• Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also felt it was disappointing , it just felt like they couldn't really do anything cos they needed everyone to be in the 2nd series and not really any the wiser
  • Options
    SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These kinds of comments reminds me of when The Sopranos ended. Many lost their minds on how ordinary the series came to an end. The final scene was so totally unspectacular that it was perfect. I loved it. :D

Those who find the season finale of Homeland disappointing need to sit down and watch it again sans ads. Your perspective might change.

I think that too many people are just conditioned to have an over the top ending to a series. That really isn't a viewers fault. So many writers of shows have conditioned audiences over the years to think that blowing things up, having a massive shoot out, the requisite train wreck, etc., is the way to go to end a season. It's a bit much. The way Homeland ended the season was more natural in terms of progressing the storyline. There are still many questions that need to be answered and I trust and look forward to what the writers have in store for Season 2.
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squiggle wrote: »
    These kinds of comments reminds me of when The Sopranos ended. Many lost their minds on how ordinary the series came to an end. The final scene was so totally unspectacular that it was perfect. I loved it. :D

Those who find the season finale of Homeland disappointing need to sit down and watch it again sans ads. Your perspective might change.

I think that too many people are just conditioned to have an over the top ending to a series. That really isn't a viewers fault. So many writers of shows have conditioned audiences over the years to think that blowing things up, having a massive shoot out, the requisite train wreck, etc., is the way to go to end a season. It's a bit much. The way Homeland ended the season was more natural in terms of progressing the storyline. There are still many questions that need to be answered and I trust and look forward to what the writers have in store for Season 2.

I agree with all this. I thought the final episode and ending were great.
  • Options
    dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did saul fail the Polygraph test first time round when asked did he pass the razorblade, yet the next day he passed it. Overall i was very impressed with This Series i think Damian Lewis was superb and look forward to the 2nd season.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member

It was`t the ending per-say imo....it was natural and it did progress the story line....and I don`t mind drama`s ending with un-answered questions...and they certainly don`t have to end with a bang....But...from past experience US writers have a habit of coming up with a great plot....and then flogging it to death over several series....until it becomes obvious their making it up as they go along....the classic example being Lost.

Each to their own...but I prefer drama`s to have a clear ending...and I know it`s only my personal opinion but I don`t think the finale of Homeland had an ending.....like I said in a previous post...the final episode just set up the second series...it should have either been the ending full stop...or at least felt like the end of the first series.....Having said all that...I`ll still tune in for series 2...but I hope there`s no series 3,4 etc..etc
  • Options
    Golem XofGolem Xof Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    starsailor wrote: »
    The main problem with the Saul=mole theory is that he chased the drone attack issue when Carrie got sacked. It was the drone attack which explained the 'greater plan' of the terrorist linking in with Brody.

It would have been easier for him not to do that if he was the mole.

Perhaps he did that though to find out the truth and to get the evidence, so that he would have some leverage to get Carrie back into the CIA. If he is a secret bad guy, maybe he wants Carrie at work for some reason, because she's loyal to him maybe.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think that too many people are just conditioned to have an over the top ending to a series. .

All I wanted was an ending - not necessarily an over the top one.

I will give series 2 a look in, only because I want to find out:

a) How did Brody sneek home with that vest on. and what's he done with it?
    b) Who the mole is.... i.e who warned Walker?
    c) Did Walker take the film and Brody retrieved it, or has someone else got it.?
    d) Is Mike still around?
    e) What's going to happen to Carrie?
  • Options
    GlomperGlomper Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homeland... was that it then?

Fans left disappointed by US drama's anti-climatic finale

Includes a few different photo's

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2140800/Homeland-Fans-left-disappointed-US-dramas-anti-climatic-ending.html
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    All I wanted was an ending - not necessarily an over the top one.

I will give series 2 a look in, only because I want to find out:

a) How did Brody sneek home with that vest on. and what's he done with it?
    b) Who the mole is.... i.e who warned Walker?
    c) Did Walker take the film and Brody retrieved it, or has someone else got it.?
    d) Is Mike still around?
    e) What's going to happen to Carrie?
    Fried Carrie.....who, in the real world, wouldn't have got a foot into the CIA.

And wouldn't it have been easier for Tom to just shoot the VP, and I'm guessing he would have been bundled it to a built proof car and not taken into the building.

That Vest, will he get a refund, and keeping it in the wardrobe...:eek:
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Fried Carrie.....who, in the real world, wouldn't have got a foot into the CIA.

And wouldn't it have been easier for Tom to just shoot the VP, and I'm guessing he would have been bundled it to a built proof car and not taken into the building.

That Vest, will he get a refund, and keeping it in the wardrobe...:eek:

A refund did cross my mind.:D

Yes. I agree. It would have made more sense if Walker had shot the VIP but then that would have left both Brody and Carrie redundant. Not part of the plot I suppose.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member

I never watch a programme 'live' these days if it's not on BBC (has ads, in other words) I always V+ everything. I did last night, fast forwarding through all the ads so my concentration was never broken when I watched it.

And I've already voiced my disappointment.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I picked up on that business with Dana. I don't remember her meeting Carrie.
    Jess and Dana saw Carrie when she pitched up at the house at about 6am to tell Brody... that Walker wasn't dead, was it? Perhaps that was when Dana did a bit of mental arithmetic which added up to 4.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nansbread wrote: »
    My theory is that Saul is involved with the Abu Nazir crowd. Why else would he fail the lie detector test and why would he ask for Carrie to be arrested when she was close to the truth and Brody was inside with the bomb.

I agree, I don't trust Saul.

I rarely watch series, I loved this, I enjoyed the ending, it will make us watch in September...........

What did Carrie say when she shouted out about Saul, whilst being put to sleep, I didn't catch it.
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazb wrote: »
    Why did saul fail the Polygraph test first time round when asked did he pass the razorblade, yet the next day he passed it. Overall i was very impressed with This Series i think Damian Lewis was superb and look forward to the 2nd season.

Damian Lewis could read the telephone directory and I'd be impressed. He was totally marvellous in Band of Brothers.
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cooperone wrote: »
    I agree, I don't trust Saul.

I rarely watch series, I loved this, I enjoyed the ending, it will make us watch in September...........

What did Carrie say when she shouted out about Saul, whilst being put to sleep, I didn't catch it.

She was saying that she remembered Brodie using the name of the murdered child in his sleep.
  • Options
    jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..and the Radio Times have the cheek to hype the finale in an article comparing it to classic series endings like Blackadder and Blakes 7 !!
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Yes, but the objective was to kill several people and inflict greater damage to the American psyche, as the bomb would surely have to be an 'inside job'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just figured that a lot of the ends that don't appear to have been properly tied up are part of the continuing storyline of season 2.

Clearly we still have all the main characters in play so it's not like we have any reason to believe that this is anything other than a season break in an ongoing plotline.
  • Options
    barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really think Saul is the mole because it just seems really obvious to me, but I definitely do think there's more to him than what we've seen. I just wonder with a new season, it allows the introduction of new characters, perhaps ones that have been working during the first season that we have just not seen yet. It would give us a bigger list of suspects. Also, I guess if Saul is the mole then people might not suspect him as much if there are other characters in the mix, so then the reveal wouldn't be as obvious as it could've been if it was revealed this season. Oh who knows, we'll find out eventually :p
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just think the whole series hasn't been as wonderful as some are saying. Maybe my expectations were too high. It was watchable but for me not a patch on things like the Sopranos or The Wire. If I'm honest I much prefer 24. Yes it's over the top, but I think it plays to that. I'm not sure Homeland knew what it was half the time. I don't care what people say about the final episode it was poor and I think it was changed.

It's popularity over here was due to it being on terrestrial tv no doubt. If you compare it to the rest of the terrestrial channels programming it probably is the best thing on tv!
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the obvious Due South reference when Virgil (played by David Marciano) attempted to distract the agents coming for Carrie by asking for "Benton", his old partner on the show.
  • Options
    NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the final ep. Gripping, not too OTT, left me wanting more. Near-perfect, actually.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the obvious Due South reference when Virgil (played by David Marciano) attempted to distract the agents coming for Carrie by asking for "Benton", his old partner on the show.
    Of course! Duh. I knew "Benton" rang a bell but was too busy watching what Carrie was doing to mentally follow up on it.

ETA: having just checked the cast list, there was a "Daniel Benton" so perhaps it was coincidence. Or a subconscious naming by the writers. Or deliberate. :cool:
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damian Lewis could read the telephone directory and I'd be impressed. He was totally marvellous in Band of Brothers.

(Told this before - apologies to those reading it aain)

Loved BOB on TV. Went to an annual tennis fantasy camp event in texas and was getting to know a new attendee.

We talked about his background - he had been in Vietnam.

Now a middle aged dentist in Philadelphia, when we got on to talking about films like FMJ and then Saving Private Ryan and finally BOB, he said, 'You know who one of my patients is?'

It was Richard Winters (Lewis' character in BOB). Winters was then in his 80's - sadly he died last year, I think.

On my return to the UK a few days later, the DVD set of BOB was released.

A few months later while waiting to pay for petrol at Reading M4 Services, I looked round and who was in the queue?

Damian Lewis.

Waiting for him outside like a professional stalker, as he came out of the door, I said, 'Lt Winters?'. He paused, smiled and then ran for his car.

Thames Valley police later had reports of a middle aged man running down the motorway shouting something like, 'Richard, Damian....you forgot your receipt!!!'

(All true except for the last bit :D)
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Carrie, she saved Brody's kids from being partial orphans, aswell as saving the vice president (even if he is a rather unlikeable guy - I'm sure he's got a family who love him), Estes & all those other people; the least Brody could do is let her know how clever she is for figuring things out. She's a heroine & should be feeling good about her self, not so awful that she's letting doctors electrocute her brain.

BTW, how did Brody get back out of that building with the vest on without setting off the alarms....?
This discussion has been closed.