Options

Castle comes to Channel 5

Comments

• Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    This looks interesting. I've read that one of Castle's novels became a real life best seller! Clever!!

I'm taking it on my holidays! I bought Heat Wave from play.com for £3.99 :)
  • Options
    MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to this tonight, I have seen every episode on alibi already but am going to enjoy rewatching the 1st series again, hopefully its proves popular enough that 5 will buy series 2 and 3
  • Options
    j'aimelatelej'aimelatele Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    never seen it but quite looking fwd to it!
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've series linked it again on 5 purely for it being in HD. Will wait a few weeks and if i'm stuck for something to watch, i can dip back in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right. I'm going to give this a try. Something to watch until Dexter at 10.
  • Options
    Nikki E.Nikki E. Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems quite good so far. :cool:
  • Options
    Chocolate MonkeChocolate Monke Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've already seen the first episode of this on download and was very pleasantly surprised! Glad it's on Channel 5 now.
  • Options
    KarlyKarly Posts: 10,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched this - had never even heard of it before and ABSOLUTELY loved it - best new (well new to me!) thing I've seen on TV since I can't remember when. Murder She Wrote meets Dempsey and Makepeace meets Jackson Brodie with laughs meets all the good 70s comedy cop shows, but brought up to date! Anyone know if it is repeated anywhere as I would love OH to see it? I know there is five on demand or whatever it is called, but our broadband for watching tv is a bit useless, and I can't see it on five* or five usa or even repeated on five. Anyone know? Thanks. :)
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Doesn't look like it's repeated anywhere.

I enjoyed it. Been a fan of Nathan Fillion since Firefly, so it's good to see him in something else that I'll actually watch.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    There is only one screening for this I think. DigiGuide isn't picking up anything else.

Really enjoyed the first episode, very watchable. Great chemistry between the two leads.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    I only watched this because there was nothing else on and I'm so glad I did. It reminds me a little bit of Monk in that it's funny, formulaic (in a good way) and essentially a police drama with the added spice of a maverick outsider with an uncanny knack of seeing things that the police don't and of understanding the psychology at work in each crime and in its perpetrator. Hints of Poirot too, the idea of the one intentional murder being surrounded by related "red herring" murders to put the police off the scent having been done in "The ABC Murders".

Can't wait for the next one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's unusual that it isn't repeated anywhere - might be worth sending an email to five to ask why ??

glad you liked it though - it gets so much better :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hurrah! Tried it on five on demand and it actually works ok. I'm used to i player stopping and starting all the time and assumed this would be the same, so very pleasant surprise! Now my main task is trying to persuade OH to watch it when the US Open is on. :D
  • Options
    JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damnit!! Why did I only see this thread now?? I would love to see these in HD. I've downloaded all the episodes but the resolution is very low.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karly wrote: »
    Hurrah! Tried it on five on demand and it actually works ok. I'm used to i player stopping and starting all the time and assumed this would be the same, so very pleasant surprise! Now my main task is trying to persuade OH to watch it when the US Open is on. :D

Tell him you'll watch the golf for 45 minutes and take notes :)
  • Options
    j'aimelatelej'aimelatele Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes a fun episode and I like the two leads.... will def watch more..
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can see why this show has been so successful in the US. Sky missed a trick here I think.

Very unusual for a pilot to hit the ground running, not feel like its the first episode of something new and just hook you in to come back for more.

They did in the States and I hope the UK audience latch onto it as well. I suspect word of mouth on how good it is might grow the audience like it did for NCIS or more recently The Killing.

The casting is perfect and creates the chemistry that sets it apart.

Loved the way it namechecks and has in cameos real TV/writer names like Cannell and Patterson!
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,527
    Forum Member
    Can see why this show has been so successful in the US. Sky missed a trick here I think.

Yes, it's one of my favourite shows - Alibi did well to show it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Update on OH - watched it on demand 5, was a bit stop/starty after all, but persevered to the end. Took him a while to get into it (as he was trying to finish other work at the same time and wasn't paying enough attention IMO :mad:) but happy to say it got his full attention half way through and he loved it by the end and is now going to watch the rest of the series. And I didn't force him - honest m'lud. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's one of my favourite shows - Alibi did well to show it.

They also showed Channel 4 how it's done by clearly signing a deal for the show that's longer than 2 years.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They also showed Channel 4 how it's done by clearly signing a deal for the show that's longer than 2 years.

Yes but signing a long deal didn't work out well for BBC2 with Heroes.
  • Options
    AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actual connection between ABC and it's star:

Castle airs on ABC in America, the same network which shows the soon-to-be axed soap One Life to Life, on which Nathan Fillion appeared as a cast member.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of it, but then I tend to stay away from Channel 5
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but signing a long deal didn't work out well for BBC2 with Heroes.

Swings and roundabouts really. They couldn't control the creative direction of the show or the ratings.

Equally it could have maintained it's season 1 pace and gone on for 7 seasons.

Luck of the draw really and Alibi have struck lucky with Castle.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Luck of the draw really and Alibi have struck lucky with Castle.
    Channel 5 have played a blinder as well. Great start for it in the ratings last night with 1.7 million viewers. Only 300,000 watched the same episode on Alibi last year. And now they have 3 whole seasons to catch up on. :)

No disrespect to Alibi but I've always said Castle would be really successful on a more mainstream network based on how popular it is in other countries. After last night's episode I can see why!