Options

Do any games run at 1080p?

dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
Forum Member
Was wondering this myself. On the back of the UK boxes they dont display any info about 720/1080 and wondered what games are 1080?

I know the new WWE game will be but unsure what else.

Is there really any difference between the two as not so sure my new TV will support 1080 anyway.

The one upstairs does because PS3 is connected to it at the 1080 setting but everytime I load a game it just changes it to 720.

Comments

• Options
    He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    What console? The xbox one?

If you are talking about the xbox one, every game is upscaled to 1080p, and a large portion of games run at 1080p native.

I personally can't tell the difference between 900p upscaled to 1080p and 1080p native, but i have read some say the difference is 'massive'.
  • Options
    SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »

If you are talking about the xbox one, every game is upscaled to 1080p, and a large portion of games run at 1080p native.

I personally can't tell the difference between 900p upscaled to 1080p and 1080p native, but i have read some say the difference is 'massive'.

I can't tell the difference (on a 50inch 1080p TV) either! 😳 ... I've got no problems buying games on the X1 instead of PS4! 👍 ... It's just nerds on that digital foundry site trying to make mountains outta mole hills! 👎
  • Options
    ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, most PC games do :D

I think most gamer's that upgraded to the PS4/XB1 or both, expected 1080P to be the standard resolution since the consoles were supposed to be closer to their PC cousin. When it comes to console gaming, I'd rather have a decent frame rate than the highest resolution were frame rate suffers.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    I can't tell the difference (on a 50inch 1080p TV) either! 😳 ... I've got no problems buying games on the X1 instead of PS4! 👍 ... It's just nerds on that digital foundry site trying to make mountains outta mole hills! 👎

It's just amazing how many web sites out there still insist on running articles about the resolution differences between the PS4 and Xbox one versions of games.
  • Options
    ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's be honest here. After almost 9 years of the 360 and 8 years of the PS3, You'd think that 1080P would have been the standard resolution for the new, more powerful consoles. 1080P does mean something to a lot of gamer's out there.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forza 5 is the only one I can think of.

But If it wasn't for the internet or developers telling us the resolution I doubt many would even know. I understand with current gen consoles you'd expect the consoles to hit 1080p but it hasn't ruined my experience and I'm still enjoying the games which is the important thing to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's be honest here. After almost 9 years of the 360 and 8 years of the PS3, You'd think that 1080P would have been the standard resolution for the new, more powerful consoles. 1080P does mean something to a lot of gamer's out there.

I think it's just a cheap way of getting hits for their website myself! :blush: ... Stir up abit fanboy hate & away the nitpicking nerds go! ;-)

99% of everyone else couldn't careless imo! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He4rt wrote: »

Yeah the X1. Game said every game on the PS4 is 1080 but the X1 is only 720 apart from a odd game like Diablo.

Seems odd why MS would go this way.
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Yeah the X1. Game said every game on the PS4 is 1080 but the X1 is only 720 apart from a odd game like Diablo.

There's about 4 games that are 720p; Dead Rising 3, MGS: GZ, PES 2015 (same engine as MGS...sad) and COD Ghosts.

The majority of games are 1080p, with the rest mostly at 900p. I can tell the difference between them but it's very small. AA is arguably more important than extra pixels when you reach 900p+

If every game on X1 were 900p with sufficient AA I'd be perfectly satisfied. Sometimes I actually think it's the better way to go than to try and push 1080p with jaggies everywhere.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Game as in GAME? They're wrong.

Forza 5 is 1080p60, Forza Horizon 2 is 1080p30.

Diablo II is 1080p60 - the same as on PS4.

Destiny is 1080p30 - the same as on PS4.

Tomb Raider is 1080p30 - same res as on PS4, but lower frame rate (PS4 is 1080p60).

The upcoming Halo: The Master Chief Collection will be 1080p.

There are probably others, but those are the main ones that come to mind.

Titanfall is 798p.

Ryse, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, and many others are 900p.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This IGN wiki has a list with resolution and framerate for various Xbox One and PS4 games:

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't see a difference myself. It's usually PS4 fanboys I see spouting on about resolution as a way of justifying their choice.

I have both PS4 and Xbox One and they look the same to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Can't see a difference myself. It's usually PS4 fanboys I see spouting on about resolution as a way of justifying their choice.

I have both PS4 and Xbox One and they look the same to me.

Agreed, for example I've played Fifa 14, BF4 and NFS rivals on both can't tell the difference at all. Only problem I have is deciding which console to get multi-platform games on.
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Destiny is 1080 even though the Beta was 900, its only noticeable if your flicking quickly between the 2 versions or have 2 tv's side by side. I don't normally play games that way so very unlikely to notice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why does my tv support only 720 when its a 32 inch yet my 24 inch upstairs will go 1080
  • Options
    He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Size isn't really what matters with resolution. A samsung Galaxy s4 can produce 1080p video and pictures for example on a 5 inch display and on the other end of the spectrum,there are some projectors that can project 20 foot screens but only at 720p max.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Question is am I really going to notice the difference between a 720p and a 1080p?
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Question is am I really going to notice the difference between a 720p and a 1080p?

That just all depends on many different factors. I would say you would notice the difference on larger screens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    That just all depends on many different factors. I would say you would notice the difference on larger screens.

32inch (or below) = 720p .... above 32inch = 1080p .... going by most experts opinions! 👍
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Edit: Beaten by Matt D

My opinion: I can see the difference - but it does require a larger screen as many have said and for that reason I will game mostly on PS4 for their exclusives and cross platform titles, and the XB1 for their exclusives.

I don't agree with Ubisoft with their decision to go 900p/30 for AC Unity - I think you should give the best experience for whatever platforms you program for - otherwise you are holding back on delivering value for money for the consumer.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member

I think the more important question people should ask is does the the resolution difference affect your enjoyment of a game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What size screen do people use these days?

Is 32 regular amount of users?
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »

I don't agree with Ubisoft with their decision to go 900p/30 for AC Unity - I think you should give the best experience for whatever platforms you program for - otherwise you are holding back on delivering value for money for the consumer.

IF Ubisoft purposefully held one platform back, then yes, I agree with you. However, if Ubisoft set a target and hit that target and then decided to spend time on providing extra content, then I'd agree with their reasons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What size screen do people use these days?

Is 32 regular amount of users?

I use a 32inch HDTV (@ 720p) in my bedroom & a 50inch (@ 1080p) in the front room! 😊
    (I'd say that's about average for most folk on here) 👍
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »
    I think the more important question people should ask is does the the resolution difference affect your enjoyment of a game.

Doesn't effect my enjoyment whatsoever! 👍