Options

How can a man be 'the new Susan Boyle'?

Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
Forum Member
✭✭
Newspaper journalists really bewidler me.

There's supposed to be a 'gypsy' guy on tonight's show. Apparently, he's so good, he's been labelled the 'new Susan Boyle'.

Since he's a fella, isn't it more appropriate to call him the new Paul Potts. :p

Comments

• Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After Paul Potts and Susan Boyle's prior success, I would hope that people stop judging people and what they look like and accept that some of the more eccentric looking people in the world might actually have above average vocal chords.

I assume that is what is meant as a "next Susan Boyle".
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member

There's supposed to be a 'gypsy' guy on tonight's show. Apparently, he's so good, he's been labelled the 'new Susan Boyle'.

Since he's a fella, isn't it more appropriate to call him the new Paul Potts. :p
    Agreed. It's not like Pottsy has fallen into obscurity. He's doing world tours, albums and earning millions and has his own busy YouTube channel.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/paulpottstv?blend=3&ob=5
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    Agreed. It's not like Pottsy has fallen into obscurity. He's doing world tours, albums and earning millions and has his own busy YouTube channel.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/paulpottstv?blend=3&ob=5

My bruv recently attended a show of his and was staggered how big his voice is. Fair enough, they had very big speakers. :D
    Dandem wrote: »
    After Paul Potts and Susan Boyle's prior success, I would hope that people stop judging people and what they look like and accept that some of the more eccentric looking people in the world might actually have above average vocal chords.

I assume that is what is meant as a "next Susan Boyle".

Paul Potts was laughed at too. Because he said he was gonna sing opera.
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm tired of all these "the new ____" comparisons. We get it every year.

Can't the acts just be labelled as themselves?
  • Options
    Benny_CHtBenny_CHt Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect we will get a lot of 'New' gymnastics acts.

In fact, I expect they will be every other act.

Once an idea has been put into people's heads they come out of the woodwork saying "I do gymnastics and so I should be famous too!"

It's called the Big Brother effect.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They could be talking about the way he was 'judged' beforehand, yet again. The audience on this programme is incredibly judgemental. They never seem to just wait and give the (however unlikely they look) contestant a chance. The phrase: "never judge a book by its cover" doesn't seem to register with them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Its not about the fact she was a women, its the element of suprise.
  • Options
    CorkonionCorkonion Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    to be honest I saw very little resemblance to Susan Boyle either vocally or physically
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It didn't remind me even slightly off Susan Boyle or Paul Potts. If we had to judge on looks, I think he looked musical enough and proved it when he started singing.

Great act by the way.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's just in the sense that they agve him the terrible VT, made him come across as completely deluded, threw in the Chinese restaurant story to make him sound like a complete no-hoper, had the judges clearly judging him before he even started... and then he started singing and got everyone on side. In that respect, his audition was similar to SuBo's.

In my opinion, it's also in the sense that he wouldn't get anywhere near the ame reaction if he "looked like a singer" when he came out on stage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,820
    Forum Member
    I just don't understand what everyone else is seeing/hearing that I'm not. I just didn't think he was very good. I thought his singing voice was really weak. What am I missing?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't understand what everyone else is seeing/hearing that I'm not. I just didn't think he was very good. I thought his singing voice was really weak. What am I missing?

I agree, perhaps with the rest of the crap that was on he was the best of the bunch ! Always thought the last 10 minutes were left for that 'little bit special talent' wrong again :D:D