Options

Doctor Who Companions: Jo Grant

MeMeMeIMeMeMeI Posts: 990
Forum Member
✭✭
Doctor Who Companions: Jo Grant

In Doctor Who, there are still many companions that are completely overlooked, or even heard of. Jo Grant is definitely one of the overlooked companions in Doctor Who. She may not have been as brilliant in science as Liz Shaw was, but her bubbly personality, and the ability to even make the Doctor cheer up makes up for that in epic proportion.
Read more at http://whatculture.com/tv/doctor-who-companions-jo-grant.php#3DwB3Yyw4lIlylRb.99

Yes the days when the doctor had proper companions:)

Comments

• Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo was a fun companion, and Katy's always been passionate about her involvement with the show. It was great seeing in the Sarah Jane Adventures a couple of years ago - she was exactly how I imagined Jo would be after all these years.
  • Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why, but I find it heart-warming that Katy Manning and Stewart Bevan (who played Clifford Jones in 'The Green Death' and was Katy's real-life boyfriend at the time) are still close friends after all these years.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get what that extract means. In what way is Jo Grant overlooked?
  • Options
    JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get what that extract means. In what way is Jo Grant overlooked?

Agree.

I've always thought that Jo was one of the more memorable and well regarded companions.
  • Options
    dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jo, Sarah Jane, Susan, Leila and Mel are the only original companions that I have even heard of.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no way that Jo Grant could be called "overlooked".
    Dodo is overlooked. Jo is not overlooked.
  • Options
    MeMeMeIMeMeMeI Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If they don't re-show older episodes it is just a matter of time that people who remember them pass on.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MeMeMeI wrote: »
    If they don't re-show older episodes it is just a matter of time that people who remember them pass on.

What? :confused:

Is Charlie Chaplin an overlooked comedian just because they don't show his films on TV?? Is Henry VIII an overlooked King because his portraits aren't paraded around the country?

There's hundreds of ways that Jo Grant is remembered and is not overlooked - DVDs, books, magazines, conventions etc etc...
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I agree, Jo Grant is not only not overlooked but she actually appeared in Sarah Jane Adventures.

Of course Big Finish does a good job of keeping quite a few of the old companions alive and kicking. Over the years they've featured Nyssa, Tegan, Turlough, Romana I, Romana II, Jo, Sarah Jane, Ian Chesterton, Steven Taylor, Zoe, Jaime, Leela, K9, Liz, Sara Kingdom, Peri, Mel and Ace (just off the top of my head)
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Poor Dodo, her destiny written in her name. :( She was the last of a dying species of companions, the basically sexless girl, soon to be replaced by the hip dollybird Duchess.
  • Options
    TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Dodo, her destiny written in her name. :( She was the last of a dying species of companions, the basically sexless girl, soon to be replaced by the hip dollybird Duchess.

Receives an honourable mention in the novel The Last Dodo, though. :)
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo, Sarah Jane, Susan, Leila and Mel are the only original companions that I have even heard of.

You've got a lot of DVDs to watch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    I would say one of the SEXIEST, lol. And apparently even more so in real life.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Jo isn't overlooked but she's bloody fantastic though.

One of my favorites.
  • Options
    bigheatherbigheather Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jo's meeting the Doctor again in the Sarah Jane Adventures was both an utter joy and very moving.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not seen all Jo's stories, but she's excellent in those I have seen - even in those I don't otherwise like. A far-from-forgotten companion, and rightly so.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even apart from her appearance in the SJA I would think Jo was one of the more memorable companions to anyone not there at the time and Liz not so much. If anyone's been 'overlooked' of the early companions it's Polly (with ot without Ben).
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member

Surprised Mel is in that list!!
  • Options
    sweetazkandisweetazkandi Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    Surprised Mel is in that list!!

I thought that too but then perhaps it's down to the fact she was quite possibly the most irritating companions that they've heard of Mel :)
  • Options
    elven62elven62 Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    Jo and Sarah Jane were the two companions I grew up with and loved on Who..I definitely don't think Jo is overlooked..I tend to think of her first if thinking of Pertwee and Sarah Jane with Tom Baker funnily enough. I love Jo!

Incidentally in today's Glasgow Herald there is a picture of a number of twins all starting at a local primary school. One pair is named Sarah Jane and Teagan (and yes that is how they spelled the latter - maybe they felt adding the a would make it less obvious they were Whovians :) ). Nice though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thrombin wrote: »
    Of course Big Finish does a good job of keeping quite a few of the old companions alive and kicking. Over the years they've featured Nyssa, Tegan, Turlough, Romana I, Romana II, Jo, Sarah Jane, Ian Chesterton, Steven Taylor, Zoe, Jaime, Leela, K9, Liz, Sara Kingdom, Peri, Mel and Ace (just off the top of my head)

I forgot Susan.

Can anyone remember any others that Big Finish have featured? I don't count Frobisher :D
  • Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vicki, Victoria and the UNIT gang can be added to the list.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vicki, Victoria and the UNIT gang can be added to the list.

How could I forget UNIT :rolleyes: