Options

The Fires Of Pompeii

Gerry MandarinGerry Mandarin Posts: 890
Forum Member
✭✭
On Watch today, very strange to have a future doctor and a future companion in guest roles.

Comments

• Options
    WmsheepWmsheep Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    On Watch today, very strange to have a future doctor and a future companion in guest roles.

Yup, was just saying the same thing to Ms WMS.

Was expecting the world to explode when The Dr and Caecilius shook hands towards the end.

Must be some sort of seminal episode having 2 Drs and 2 companions in it.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    It is bizarre to see such a pool of talent in there. The future Master could be in there somewhere too :p
  • Options
    owlycherriesowlycherries Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really, really like this episode, and not just because of the obvious. :p
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is bizarre to see such a pool of talent in there. The future Master could be in there somewhere too :p

Bloke that sold him the TARDIS. :D
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Actually two future Doctors if you count the Doctor-Donna. ;)
  • Options
    InNoctemInNoctem Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Do you think there will be some sort of mention as to why the 12th Doctor regenerate in the form of Caecillus or would it just be one of those things the writers expect you to accept it's television?

It's like when Martha mentioned about her cousin Adeola (both Freema Agyeman) or the Doctor and Rose asking Gwen Cooper about her Welsh ancestry then remarking that she looks like one of them (both characters are played by Eve Myles)..
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gwen should not be dedcendent of Gwenyth because she died unmarried and childless. Don't know if they will mention FOP when 11 regenerates. Could just be put down to coincidence.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    InNoctem wrote: »
    Do you think there will be some sort of mention as to why the 12th Doctor regenerate in the form of Caecillus or would it just be one of those things the writers expect you to accept it's television?

It's like when Martha mentioned about her cousin Adeola (both Freema Agyeman) or the Doctor and Rose asking Gwen Cooper about her Welsh ancestry then remarking that she looks like one of them (both characters are played by Eve Myles)..

Think there *might* be a throwaway one-liner for the hardcore fans, but probably not.

I think this is a great episode. An often overlooked little gem. The confrontation between the Doctor and Donna at the end of the episode and Catherine Tate's performance...I was completely falling for Donna by now. (No offence to t'others, but Donna's still my favourite companion in all of Who.)

Ooh, a complete Series 4 rewatch is def on the cards very soon. :)
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InNoctem wrote: »

I don't think it really needs a hardcore explanation, as it is known that the Doctor can regenerate and take on the appearance of someone he has met in the past.

I imagine he will look in the mirror and mention how familiar he looks though.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gwen should not be dedcendent of Gwenyth because she died unmarried and childless. Don't know if they will mention FOP when 11 regenerates. Could just be put down to coincidence.

She could be part of the same family line though. It wouldn't be unheard of for someone in the family to look similar to someone else without the parents being the same.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Gwen should not be dedcendent of Gwenyth because she died unmarried and childless..

They specifically didn't say that she was a descendant. The Doctor described it as 'spacial genetic multiplicity', which Russell T Davies later on said was an echo and repetition of similar traits, leading to two very similar looking people :)

Given that The Doctor also said that Pompeii sits on a rift in time as a result of Vesuvius, it's entirely plausible that The Doctor ends up picking up the face of Caecilius through his Tardis feeding on rift energies (an explanation that could be mentioned on screen, or works off-screen).

It could also work to explain Amy's similarities to the soothsayer's, though I think they missed a trick with that when she visited Roman England during the 'Invasion of the Hot Italians' :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    I don't think it really needs a hardcore explanation, as it is known that the Doctor can regenerate and take on the appearance of someone he has met in the past.

I imagine he will look in the mirror and mention how familiar he looks though.

My money's on something along the lines of him looking in the mirror and saying he has a rather Roman profile or something. (I know Caecillius wasn't technically Roman but he did end up there...)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My money's on something along the lines of him looking in the mirror and saying he has a rather Roman profile or something. (I know Caecillius wasn't technically Roman but he did end up there...)

Perhaps the 12th Doctor could have his Tardis redecorated, in marble :)
  • Options
    Dr2PatDr2Pat Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    If Captain Jack ever returns to Doctor Who and meets the 12th Doctor, surely they would have to make reference to the fact that he has the same face as John Frobisher.
    I wonder how that would be written?