Options

Is my graphics chip dying

Hi everyone.
I have been having an on going problem with my desktop with the occasional blue screen. It seems to occur when there is a demanding screen via video or website.
I sent the desktop and monitor to the pc doctor and unfortunately the old monitor died whilst there so he was certain that was the cause. I have purchased a new monitor and now I occasionally get the picture distorted as if I was watching anologue tv in a foggy thunderstorm!!
I have got a full page snip but I am not sure how to post that on here. It shows the page all distorted except for the screwfix advert!!
Any ideas anyone?
My pc is 18 months old with a NVIDIA Geforce7025/nforce630a. Running windows 7 64bit service pack 1, DirectX version 11.0:)

Comments

• Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its VERY unlikely that a monitor can cause a blue screen.

Mostly like is a duff driver or application. I could suggestion doing a disk imagine & back up then doing a clean install.

You can't upload images to this site, you will need to upload to flickr or some image hosting site and post a link.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Hi
    Thanks for the quick reply, sounds like I know what I will be doing this weekend then!!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    curiousclivecuriousclive Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    Could try going to Nvidia site and seeing if there is an updated driver for your card. If it is a corrupted driver for the graphic card then should repair it without having to do clean install of windows
  • Options
    mpmc17mpmc17 Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To bad it's onboard as you could have baked it!
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    If you ARE suffering problems with your gfx card it's possible that it could be due to issues with cooling.
    It could be the gfx processor or the memory but you can't do anything about that but it could be overheating and you can do something about that by removing any fans and shrouds and giving them a good clean with a brush and replacing any thermal paste with new stuff.

having said that, watching videos or surfing the web isn't really a particularly gfx intensive process so I'd be surprised if that was causing a gfx card to throw a wobbly.

You could try downloading something like THIS and if there's a problem with your gfx card it should reveal it.
    Course, there's a chance that stress-testing your gfx card could kill it completely.
  • Options
    dodgygeezadodgygeeza Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member
    mpmc17 wrote: »
    To bad it's onboard as you could have baked it!
    Well that's a new one on me, how on earth does this work? :confused:

[edit] Never mind, done some background reading. I've never considered the oven as a soldering tool before haha :)
  • Options
    Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodgygeeza wrote: »
    I've never considered the oven as a soldering tool before haha :)

You can achieve exactly the same effect with a hand held paint stripping gun.

I have attempted this recently on 2 laptop motherboards, both dead, and achieved a 50% sucess rate.