Has There Ever Been Films Longer Than Cloud Atlas In The Cinema

2»

Comments

• GortGort Posts: 7,465
    Forum Member
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    Cloud Atlas without the adverts is 2 hours 52 minutes so add adverts on and that is 3 and a half hours.:eek::eek::eek:

Quite long considering it's one of those movies where you have to take in everything to understand it.

Has there been longer movies in the cinema ?

Not seen many epics, have you? There have been plenty of films longer than three hours (not sure why you're going on about adverts in another post, as all film times are based on the film's actual run).

Here, off the top of my head, are some longer than three hours:

Spartacus
    Cleopatra
    The Fall of the Roman Empire
    Ben Hur
    Dr Zhivago
    Lawrence of Arabia
    Gone with the Wind
    Magnolia
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    i might watch this on tuesday. any good? probably best trailer i have ever seen

no spoilers plz

I'd recommend it , it's very ambitious and complicated , but it's not boring and is very funny at times . It's 6 stories , in different genres all connected thematically .
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somebody please tell me which cinema shows half an hour of adverts before the main feature begins, so that I can avoid it. In my experience, the adverts and trailers, put together, take fifteen to twenty minutes.

Where is that - any cinema I go to these days has half an hour of ads/trailers. And always that stupid annoying Kevin Bacon ad!

OP, Cloud Atlas isn't long compared to some epics. Gone With the Wind, Ben Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, Cleopatra, Gladiator and all the Lord of the Rings movies spring to mind but there are many more.

The extended edition of Return of the King is 250 minutes, and the 3 movies in total run to 683 minutes in their extended forms!
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    I've seen some films at cineworld and there have been 30 minutes of ads / trailers before the movie at times .

trouble is a coupla times there's only been 5 minutes of ads / trailers , so you never know .

They round it up to the closest hour.

Except if it is a big movie like Skyfall where on it's opening week there were some cinema's showing 45 minutes of adverts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    The theatrical cut of Bernardo Bertolucci's 1900 runs at 255 mins, and the uncut version is 317 mins.
    Among more notorious films, 1963's Cleopatra lasts 190 minutes (theatrical cut) and 320 for the director's cut.
    Two adaptations of Les Misérables from 1925 and 1933 also run in excess of five hours.

Needless to say, as the longest film I've sat through is The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey, I probably wouldn't last through these!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dbob wrote: »
    of course there has, you only need to google rather than make a pointless post about it. Also no one includes adverts when describing film run times.

Your reply seems pretty pointless to me.
  • cmq2cmq2 Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anna Paquin and Matt Damon look surprisingly young in 2011's 'Margaret', because it was filmed in 2005. The release was continually deferred as the director refused shorten the film from 3 to 2 hours. I think it could have benefited from judicious tightening of the second half by say 20mins or so.

http://www.slashfilm.com/kenneth-lonergans-longdelayed-margaret-finally-release-date/