Is Windows 7 really that bad?

Comments

• wiltwilt Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would you downgrade to an operating system that is almost 12 years old? It offers no benefits on newer computers, has a history of security issues and is inherently less secure than Windows 7 by design.

On top of that, it is being EOLed in less than a year which means no updates, even security updates, at all.

The operating system is the most important piece of software on your PC, you need to be running a version that is being actively supported.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Windows 7 could be argued to be the best operating system ever released.

XP, though much loved, is retired.

Yeah I know this will sound a dumb question but what difference does it make if XP is retired or not? Ive never really been that bothered with support being dropped I just turn updates off anyway.

For years I always used the Millenium Edition of Windows up until 2004 time but that was more due to only using the net for the PC.

Since then with games that got me interested like Monkey Island games and those Point and click games is why I decided to get a new PC with XP on it.

Now with bigger games out that require 2.6+ ghz I had to buy a new pc and the only one avaliable was in windows 7.
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    That was Vista's massive downfall...sticking it on machines built for XP,.

You're spot on there.

I'd say W7 is the best, and I've got the full set on my VM.

http://s21.postimg.org/d7ygwa9c7/vm_home.jpg

its great to hear the old startup sounds . . .
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just turn updates off anyway.

Then you deserve all you get. :p
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easily the best version of Windows Microsoft ever made. by a long way
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used all the versions of windows and win7 is very good, maybe the best so far. Don't b tempted to use XP, it was very good in its day but its day was a long time ago. I don't even know if modern hardware is supported by XP. 7 is more stable and less security issues as well.
    Win8 is totally different, like a smart phone interface for your pc. A big departure from all previous versions inc 7. But while there is a classic mode many people want a more traditional interface which is what is going to be addressed in 8.1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Then you deserve all you get. :p

Not really. The only reason why I turn off windows updates is because im security conscious. Family said to do it because with recent versions Microsoft like to spy on your computer on what your doing and its not something Im keen on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilt wrote: »
    Why would you downgrade to an operating system that is almost 12 years old? It offers no benefits on newer computers, has a history of security issues and is inherently less secure than Windows 7 by design.

On top of that, it is being EOLed in less than a year which means no updates, even security updates, at all.

The operating system is the most important piece of software on your PC, you need to be running a version that is being actively supported.

Well it doesnt use much memory. Ive always been used to XP. Ive never really used Windows Updates at all that and firewall stuff is turned off because heard that with the newer versions of stuff MS like to spy on your computer for what your doing. Whether thats true or not ive no idea alough a PC mag claims they do.

Firewall was a right pain in the ass because it kept trying to block programs I actively use so I just use Avast for that now. I stuck with SP2 because I had problems with service pack 3 on running my modem and some other stuff and programs.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With no updates and firewall turned off, you are worried about MS spying on you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it doesnt use much memory. Ive always been used to XP. Ive never really used Windows Updates at all that and firewall stuff is turned off because heard that with the newer versions of stuff MS like to spy on your computer for what your doing. Whether thats true or not ive no idea alough a PC mag claims they do.

Firewall was a right pain in the ass because it kept trying to block programs I actively use so I just use Avast for that now. I stuck with SP2 because I had problems with service pack 3 on running my modem and some other stuff and programs.
    With a modern computer, you don't need to worry about the RAM usage of Windows 7.

Sorry, but that is nonsense. There is the Windows Customer Experience Programme, which is opt-in and provides anonymous telemetry data (and things like this are present in most popular software), but other than that there is nothing sending data about what you're doing back to Microsoft. Why would they even want that data? Considering that around 400 million people use Windows this would be a lot of data - it's impossible for them to actively 'spy' on every user.

Please tell me you have been allowing Avast to update?
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Not really. The only reason why I turn off windows updates is because im security conscious. Family said to do it because with recent versions Microsoft like to spy on your computer on what your doing and its not something Im keen on.

Well, you can always trust family.....:rolleyes: I'd say Microsoft were the least of your worries these days....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With a modern computer, you don't need to worry about the RAM usage of Windows 7.

Sorry, but that is nonsense. There is the Windows Customer Experience Programme, which is opt-in and provides anonymous telemetry data (and things like this are present in most popular software), but other than that there is nothing sending data about what you're doing back to Microsoft. Why would they even want that data? Considering that around 400 million people use Windows this would be a lot of data - it's impossible for them to actively 'spy' on every user.

Please tell me you have been allowing Avast to update?

Yes I have. Avast is always updating. Its one of the few programs I let update auto along with Firefox.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    With all due respect this is complete and utter bollocks and you really should not be taking IT advice from them at all.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    With no updates and firewall turned off, you are worried about MS spying on you?

I wonder if there's Darwin Awards for computer users.
  • henm2henm2 Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    For a windows system Windows 7 is the best one Microsoft have done. Usually works smoothly with no so called blue screens of death BSODs which occurred with previous editions.
    Having said that I have windows 7 as part of a dual boot system on my netbook and usually end up booting the other system which is on it which is LXLE (Lubuntu Extra Life Extension) as it works just as smooth but quicker. Also no need for anti virus/anti malware programs.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does make you wonder what sites he is visiting, that the firewall was blocking. Then again he doesn't have that worry any more.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

Some people are happy still using XP and they will probably continue to use it until their computers snuff it. I have a 10 year old desktop still running it and it won't run anything newer. XP will die out as people's XP machines snuff it.
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    You're spot on there.

I'd say W7 is the best, and I've got the full set on my VM.

http://s21.postimg.org/d7ygwa9c7/vm_home.jpg

its great to hear the old startup sounds . . .

Wow how did you manage that? As for startup sounds, the Windows 95 and 98 ones were my favourites. They bring back several childhood memories.
  • henm2henm2 Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    The only reason why I turn off windows updates is because im security conscious. Family said to do it because with recent versions Microsoft like to spy on your computer on what your doing and its not something Im keen on.
    If using Windows definitely do not switch off security updates. If using Firefox as your browser there is an excellent add-on called DoNotTrackMe which blocks online tracking, data collection. (Probably good enough against Microsoft anyway if not government agencies)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people are happy still using XP and they will probably continue to use it until their computers snuff it. I have a 10 year old desktop still running it and it won't run anything newer. XP will die out as people's XP machines snuff it.
    Indeed, but here we're talking about downgrading from Windows 7 on a new computer.

If he does go to XP, and this computer lasts for 10 years like yours, then he will be using a 20 year old operating system before the computer dies.

To put that in to context, Windows 95 isn't yet 20 years old. Would you recommend that anybody installs and uses Windows 95?
    Forum Member
    Indeed, but here we're talking about downgrading from Windows 7 on a new computer.

If he does go to XP, and this computer lasts for 10 years like yours, then he will be using a 20 year old operating system before the computer dies.

To put that in to context, Windows 95 isn't yet 20 years old. Would you recommend that anybody installs and uses Windows 95?

I will admit XP is really old now. It's showing its age. Was good in its day though. I think desktops tend to last longer than laptops but I could be wrong. I wouldn't recommend Windows 95 to anyone now as it's pretty useless with modern software and internet stuff. It doesn't even support USB! The only use for it now would be nostalgia. I'm half tempted to dig out my old 95 disk and run it in a VM so I can relive some childhood memories :cool:
  • 2000motels2000motels Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    No. Windows 7 is arguably the best version that has been released.

You may be thinking of windows 8, which has come under a lot of criticism recently! Or windows vista which was terrible
    Vista wasn't terrible after service pack 2, I like Vista which basically is what 7 is with a few tweaks here and there, the problem with Vista was the hardware wasn't up to running it at time of release, I have a Vista laptop and I've never had a problem with it and it's 5 years old, what amazes me is the people who say Vista is crap have probably never used it.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    2000motels wrote: »
    Vista wasn't terrible after service pack 2, I like Vista which basically is what 7 is with a few tweaks here and there, the problem with Vista was the hardware wasn't up to running it at time of release, I have a Vista laptop and I've never had a problem with it and it's 5 years old, what amazes me is the people who say Vista is crap have probably never used it.

I'm sure most people who say they don't like it have in fact used it.

I know I can claim using it and not liking it :D
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    I'm sure most people who say they don't like it have in fact used it.

I know I can claim using it and not liking it :D

So can I actually, despite what some people on here think. I've had to fix a few Vista computers for people and every time I did I was close to throwing them against the wall. It drove me crazy!
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My now ancient laptop ran Vista from the very beginning and I never had performance problems with it. But it had 2GB RAM which was pretty eccentric at the time.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    My now ancient laptop ran Vista from the very beginning and I never had performance problems with it. But it had 2GB RAM which was pretty eccentric at the time.

I have an Dell inspiron dual core 2GHz with 2MB RAM and it runs like a dog under Vista, I never use it anymore.

Windows 7 is def the best Windows OS so far only marred by the useless search function in explorer, but that's easily cured with Cubic Explorer.