Gurning is Cool

Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,424
Forum Member
✭✭
This is supposed to be light -hearted, by the way!

The first time I heard the word "gurning" connected to Doctor Who was a radio show with Armanda Ianucci broadcast just after the show came back in 2005 in which he referred to "Christopher Eccleston gurning every week in Doctor Who." Not sure what he meant, but there are a few moments early on in 'End of the World" which could fit the bill. The word has cropped up in a derogatory manner quite often since. Well, I think it's a fine tradition and the word should be reclaimed without it's negative connotations. To start the ball rolling, here are a few of my favourite "gurns" in Doctor Who;

William Hartnell being transmatted in 'The Dalek Masterplan'. (Peter Purves and Jean Marsh join in, but don't quite reach Billy's standard.)
Patrick Troughton at the end of 'The War Games'. Some serious facing-pulling as we say farewell to the Second Doctor.
Jon Pertwee: Quite a few moments to choose from, but the tentacle attack at the end of 'Spearhead from Space' takes some beating, IMO.

Tom and Peter...none spring to mind at present, but Colin...there's a fair amount in TTOATL's last two episodes.

Sylvestor...some serious face-pulling in 'Battlefield' and 'Ghostlight'...but saved his best gurn 'til last as he regenerates into Paul McGann, who therefore starts his brief TV tenure gurning.

Chris I'm mentioned. David Tennant? The one that springs to mind is his "soothsayer" impression to Donna in 'Fires of Pompeii'. (I remember in DWC he actually asked the director if he wanted his 'Old Man Steptoe' face in that scene.)

Matt...I'd probably go for the moments after he'd been poisoned in 'Let's Kill Hitler'.

So as I said...a fine tradition. I love them all. Any more favourite face-pulling moments welcomed. :)

Comments

• kjwillykjwilly Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    Jon Pertwee was King of the gurn. As well as the tentacle attack from Spearhead From Space, there is also the fight with the telephone cord in Terror Of The Autons and (can't remember which episode) but a classic gurn as a cliffhanger when attacked by a Silurian in his second story
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I agree with kjwilly - Jon Pertwee was DEFINITELY King of the Gurners!! :D
  • FATCHOPSFATCHOPS Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann's gurns during their regeneration scene where spectacular.
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is a "Gurn"?
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aha...the important stuff!

A 'Gurn' is "...a distorted facial expression, and a verb to describe the action." :)
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was smiling , he wasn't gurning in The End Of The World. David Tennant did gurn everytime I watched it
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FATCHOPS wrote: »
    Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann's gurns during their regeneration scene where spectacular.

I wonded about those: were they assisted, whether by wires or by computer?
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kjwilly wrote: »
    Jon Pertwee was King of the gurn. As well as the tentacle attack from Spearhead From Space, there is also the fight with the telephone cord in Terror Of The Autons and (can't remember which episode) but a classic gurn as a cliffhanger when attacked by a Silurian in his second story

Pertwee seemed to also have comedy 'cross eyes' when he was in the throws of an attack too! :D
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This might be one of my favourite threads. Turn something that has been used as a negative into something positive. I love it!

I think Matt and David both gurned a lot (Matt's face was as flexible as an olympic gymnast's legs;)). However, all the classic Doctors gurned (apart from Peter Davison, or I haven't watched enough of his episodes).
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This might be one of my favourite threads. Turn something that has been used as a negative into something positive. I love it!

I think Matt and David both gurned a lot (Matt's face was as flexible as an olympic gymnast's legs;)). However, all the classic Doctors gurned (apart from Peter Davison, or I haven't watched enough of his episodes).

Aw, shucks. :) Red-faced. (That might have more to do with a disastrous visit to the Inn last night, mind. :o)

Quite suprised it's popped up again. (There's a story; ;'Resurrection of the Gurn'.) As regards TEDR's point, think there might've been *some* computer-enhancing of the regeneration gurn, but not much in Slyvester's case. (love him.)

As for Sir Peter D, nope, still can't think of an outstanding gurn in his tenure. Anybody?
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will Armando Iannucci enjoy the upcoming Capaldi gurning years? :p
  • TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt Smith has a characteristic llama face. I'm not sure that's a full-on gurn, though.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is supposed to be light -hearted, by the way!

The first time I heard the word "gurning" connected to Doctor Who was a radio show with Armanda Ianucci broadcast just after the show came back in 2005 in which he referred to "Christopher Eccleston gurning every week in Doctor Who." Not sure what he meant, but there are a few moments early on in 'End of the World" which could fit the bill. The word has cropped up in a derogatory manner quite often since. Well, I think it's a fine tradition and the word should be reclaimed without it's negative connotations. To start the ball rolling, here are a few of my favourite "gurns" in Doctor Who;

William Hartnell being transmatted in 'The Dalek Masterplan'. (Peter Purves and Jean Marsh join in, but don't quite reach Billy's standard.)
    Patrick Troughton at the end of 'The War Games'. Some serious facing-pulling as we say farewell to the Second Doctor.
    Jon Pertwee: Quite a few moments to choose from, but the tentacle attack at the end of 'Spearhead from Space' takes some beating, IMO.

Tom and Peter...none spring to mind at present, but Colin...there's a fair amount in TTOATL's last two episodes.

Sylvestor...some serious face-pulling in 'Battlefield' and 'Ghostlight'...but saved his best gurn 'til last as he regenerates into Paul McGann, who therefore starts his brief TV tenure gurning.

Chris I'm mentioned. David Tennant? The one that springs to mind is his "soothsayer" impression to Donna in 'Fires of Pompeii'. (I remember in DWC he actually asked the director if he wanted his 'Old Man Steptoe' face in that scene.)

Matt...I'd probably go for the moments after he'd been poisoned in 'Let's Kill Hitler'.

So as I said...a fine tradition. I love them all. Any more favourite face-pulling moments welcomed. :)

I think Tom gurned a bit during the Xoanon encounter.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

This is probably the worst instance of gurning in the entire history of the show!!

I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time.

For consistent gurning though I'd have to go with Tennant. There were at least five gurns per episode.
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,002
    Forum Member
    In Bells Of St. John, Matt Smith's 'angry gurn' whist on a Motorbike raised a chuckle
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smiling is not the same as gurning. Just because a critic said it, doesn't mean it's actually true. Some folks have a problem with CE as the Doctor because they've seen him in Jude, or whatever. He did say that this role was the closest to himself that he'd ever played. If critics can't see past Jude, then that's their own prejudices, that's their problem.

gurn |gərn|
    verb [ intrans. ] chiefly Brit.
    make a grotesque face : [as n. ] ( gurning) gurning is one of the fair's most popular competitions.

This is not gurning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prV8OKo04Fc
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davison gurns a bit in Warriors of the Deep when they put the sync helmet thingy on him.