Options

How about a return for the draconian s

thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Very under used and an excellent old alien that could be re-imagined.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, they were only ever used once in a story that's remembered for being really well made (design & production) but unfortunately very dull.

I've always thought they looked a bit Star Trek rather than a Who universe alien, but they were a really good design for the 70's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to see them make a return, although I must admit I prefered the Draconians from Buck Rogers, even if they were a copy of Who's Draconians.

How about a cross over story, Princess Ardala as the Doctors next companion.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I've never seen the original story, but the Wiki synopsis sounds like they have potential for use. Particularly that it sounds like they respect the Doctor but mistrust humans. And a war is always a good source of conflict. Would have to be careful to distinguish them from Silurians.

And as an empire, rather than a localised race, they could play a part in the 'world-building' that seems to be going on these days.

What if the Sontaran/Rutan war overspilled onto Draconian borders?
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Frontier In Space may not have been the most exciting of stories, but the Draconians were a beautifully realised alien race, not really villains or monsters. The masks were superb, even by today's standards they still look good.

But bringing them back...? I dunno, they looked nice, their culture was nicely drawn, but what could they actually do that would be new and exciting. We kind of have Vastra these days as our local friendly reptile person so it's hard to see what the Draconians would add to Doctor Who. Maybe it's best to leave them as fondly remembered creatures from 40 years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    adams66 wrote: »
    But bringing them back...? I dunno, they looked nice, their culture was nicely drawn, but what could they actually do that would be new and exciting.
    Actually, I think that's their advantage - they don't have the baggage of Cybermen and Ice Warriors and Silurians. (Although I suppose the Ice Warriors are closest.) They don't have the same expectations, or the fascination that the Zygons or the Rani appear to have.

I can see a Draconian story being a study in courtly intrigue, with the Doctor trying to defuse tensions while trying to uncover a dastardly plot. Or the aforementioned politics of war.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    I've read the synopsis of them, they had a long war with humanity based completely on a misunderstanding of their cultures upon proper first contact....

Did JMS completely rip this off for the Minbari wars in Babylon 5 or what? :confused:
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    I've read the synopsis of them, they had a long war with humanity based completely on a misunderstanding of their cultures upon proper first contact....

Did JMS completely rip this off for the Minbari wars in Babylon 5 or what? :confused:

I don't really think Babylon 5 existed in 1973, did it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AidanLunn wrote: »

No, but then codename_47 said it was ripped off "for" the Minbari, not "from".
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Their mention in The Pandorica Opens, as part of The Alliance suggests they had come to fear The Doctor, or at least a faction of them. But resetting the universe probably reversed that.
  • Options
    Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    Yeah, it was called Lord of The rings then.