Is this normal ?

TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

I have a male 1 year old collie/lab called Kobe, the thing is he does not cock its leg when he has a pee, is this normal.

We have another dog who's 17 and cannot cock its leg due to him being a bit wobbly, so he goes like a bitch, so is kobe just copying off him.

The other thing is we take him for walks for hours and he wont pee until he gets back home.

One time the wife took him out for 4 hours and he was bursting by the time he got home.

In the year we have had him he's done maybe 6 pee's outside.

We had him to dog training classes and the training thinks he maybe a bit unsure of the outside world and feels safe in his garden.

What do you think......

g

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly leg lifting is a learned behaviour so if he doesn't see other males lifting theirs he may not lift his, it is also something they grow into doing so may be he is just a little young at the moment.

As to peeing one of ours is the same and much prefers doing it at home. But if they are desperate enough they will do it elsewhere. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog crops her leg when she has a pee what is that about?

Anyway, my next door neighbours dog doesn't crop his leg up either, he just stands up when he has a pee, I thought it was because he got neutered too soon but not sure.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheToonArmy, maybe your dog should watch this amusing video clip of a dog lifting his leg! :D:D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dJuyiUUHBQ . . . . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80D0ylOqPJ8&NR=1
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul didn't cock his leg until he was over a year old.

Kobe will start doing it in time :)
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we thought jake wasn;t going to start cocking his leg, but then he surprised up one day

of course, if he wants to pee in the middle of the gravel he'll still squat down, looks a right idiot doing it :p
  • mrsmetropolismrsmetropolis Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xdow wrote: »
    we thought jake wasn;t going to start cocking his leg, but then he surprised up one day

of course, if he wants to pee in the middle of the gravel he'll still squat down, looks a right idiot doing it :p

The big girl! ;)
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well, he's got a pink collar and lead too, so ;)
    and a fairy outfit
    he's my little woofter :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id wouldn't worry about the leg cocking, he is still young. I have worked with lurchers and greyhounds that don't start cocking til 18 months, yet my pals wee westie is 8 months and cocks his leg lol.
  • TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your help/advice, time will tell I suppose on his leg cocking, the wife been keep telling me I should go in the garden and show him how its done :o.

I suppose it does not help when nanook our other dog is so wobbley on his back end that he squats and kobe see's it.

g
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some boys do, some boys don't.

An early neuter has been thought to stop them from cocking, but my un-neutered childhood Cocker Spaniel never Cocked. Yet my friend's Springer - neutered at six months - cocks.

Got Han at 7 months, already cocking. Murphy (neutered at 4 years) cocked at about 7 months. The day my puppy became a dog:D No role model - he was an only dog - so just instinct and hormones.

My bitch occasionally cocks as well!! She is definitely copying the boys - she only does it is they have marked a spot and she looks so uncomfortable and self-conscious doing it:D
  • TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some boys do, some boys don't.

I'm getting that impression, I will have to take more noitice, not that I will be a serial dog pee'ing watcher :o

g
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My bitch occasionally cocks as well!! She is definitely copying the boys - she only does it is they have marked a spot and she looks so uncomfortable and self-conscious doing it:D

May be more overmarking than copying posture. would have to cock to literally be up there with the boys :D

Small dogs very occasionally do handstands to get their mark higher up the post, like the big boys :D
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tass wrote: »
    May be more overmarking than copying posture. would have to cock to literally be up there with the boys :D

Small dogs very occasionally do handstands to get their mark higher up the post, like the big boys :D

LOL, she is a very small dog:D about 10 inches to shoulder and 3.75KG.
  • rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tass wrote: »

LOL thats what my little Danny does..sometimes he lifts his leg so high he loses balance and falls over :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dog didn't do that until he was well over a year old so give your boy time and he may master the art! Good luck :) .