Stephen Poliakoff's Dancing on the Edge

Comments

• wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The music gets more curious. In the scene in the club, the first tune, a New Orleans style blues, was pretty timeless, yet the second song could just have been sung by the 1940's Andrews Sisters.
    It's the saxophone which sound most out of era to me, though I didn't notice a high F# key on one, so if there weren't, that would be in keeping with the era.
    In fact the production values seem fine and everything seems of the period. As a drama it has its merits with a good cast.

I've not watched part 2 yet, is this in part 2?
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    I've not watched part 2 yet, is this in part 2?

Yes, it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. Bit daft of me to visit here before watching really but the music isn't that much of a spoiler anyway. I wasn't sure which episode you meant because you had previously mentioned WRT episode 1 that the music in ep. 1 had put you off watching more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    Thanks. Bit daft of me to visit here before watching really but the music isn't that much of a spoiler anyway. I wasn't sure which episode you meant because you had previously mentioned WRT episode 1 that the music in ep. 1 had put you off watching more.

I'm afraid it's a bit of a case of "passive viewing."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=passive%20viewing&defid=2610886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, agree with your assessment as a drama though.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anyone likes the music and wants the album. Anyone with a smartphone can download an app called Deezer and then download this album on it for nothing. I downloaded it last night. And its all legitimate and not illegal. :)
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's too much smoking in this programme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    There's too much smoking in this programme.

Is that supposed to be a joke?

In the thirties the majority of people smoked. There's nothing wrong with showing an accurate representation of the times.
    It ain't a public health promotion video.
  • TiffanyThorneTiffanyThorne Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the tip about the album Habby! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I've caught up with the first two episodes on the iplayer, and so far I think it's brilliant. Not in the slightest bit boring.

It's nice to actually have a period drama with good acting - there have been a few with poor acting just recently.

It took me a while to get used to Matthew Goode with that accent though; I think I've only seen him play posh characters before!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are Rosie and Stanley colleagues with benefits or is Stanley playing away with Pamela? I think Rosie is kidding herself if she thinks Stanley wants her as there are pics of Stamela all over the office.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also some of the accents were rather dodgy- Louis' accent veered from American to English to African in one sentence.

I assumed that was deliberate - and rather nicely done I thought. He sounds terribly well spoken and English when he's talking to posh and/or white audiences, and far more relaxed and natural when he's in private. I'm just watching the repeat on 2, and noticing it.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recorded this and it cut off just as Louis entered the bedroom at the end!

I take it he just found Jessie in a "state" or did I miss something else???? Please help!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recorded this and it cut off just as Louis entered the bedroom at the end!

I take it he just found Jessie in a "state" or did I miss something else???? Please help!

No you didn't miss anything that was broadcast.. what you saw was the cutoff point, just like the start of part 2 ,there appeared to be something deleted...good drama though
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...you missed something quite important. I would watch the end again on iPlayer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    No you didn't miss anything that was broadcast.. what you saw was the cutoff point, just like the start of part 2 ,there appeared to be something deleted...good drama though

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    ...you missed something quite important. I would watch the end again on iPlayer.

Not sure if you are pulling my leg or not, but either way I can't watch it on iPlayer as I live in ROI and we cannot access it here :(
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You definitely missed something very very important! Ignore the poster saying you missed nothing - looks like they missed it too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    You definitely missed something very very important! Ignore the poster saying you missed nothing - looks like they missed it too!

Ok, thanks. I think it is repeated tonight so I will give it another go...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just watched the first two episodes and really enjoyed them, I don't care if programmes are historically accurate or not unless they are claiming to be! :D
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone watching?
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    I am really enjoying this series but one thing about tonight's episode I thought was a bit odd regarding the party that was held on New Year's Eve in that barn. The doors were wide open and there did not seem to be any heating, the ladies in their flimsy gowns must have been freezing!!.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I saw of the trailers, the music was promoted quite strongly. As the series has progressed, it is getting progressively of less importance, the drama being far more interesting.
    It reminds me of the phrase "Incidental music" the term for background music in classic films and quite apt in this case.
    The "barn" just looked like a row of bog standard garages, common in big houses in the early part of the twentieth century.
  • TiffanyThorneTiffanyThorne Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is Jessie's murderer? What does anyone think?
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    I am loving this as I love this era. The clothes, hairstyles and the music is beautiful.

Very sad last night tho.

I am wondering if I have missed 'that bit' at the end as I am not sure what the posters are getting at :confused:

I will have to watch again unless someone wants to put a spoiler on here :)