Options

Malaysian Airline 777 missing 239 feared dead

Comments

• Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was interested to see the grainy images of the two pilots shortly before the flight, in their uniforms getting a pat down search. Is this the kind of procedure all pilots go through before flying? Would BA pilots go through the same for example, and before each and every flight? The pat down looked barely able to notice anything anyway, barely touching them, as most pat downs always seem to be.
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    No news, no development, nada, nothing, all day - one of the biggest investigations in the world, involving 26 countries and countless intelligence agences, and NO news. Come on, there is blatantly something going on that we don't know about. and we don't know about it because......?!

A very interesting article from Reuters not long ago, and apologies if it has already been mentioned but:

Officials think, based on the available data, the aircraft flew south until it ran out of fuel and crashed into the sea, according to a source familiar with data the U.S. government is receiving from the investigation. In the south, any debris from MH370 would have been widely dispersed by Indian Ocean currents in the week since it disappeared.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/03/16/malaysia-airlines-indianocean-idINDEEA2F01T20140316
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No news, no development, nada, nothing, all day - one of the biggest investigations in the world, involving 26 countries and countless intelligence agences, and NO news. Come on, there is blatantly something going on that we don't know about. and we don't know about it because......?!

A very interesting article from Reuters not long ago, and apologies if it has already been mentioned but:

Officials think, based on the available data, the aircraft flew south until it ran out of fuel and crashed into the sea, according to a source familiar with data the U.S. government is receiving from the investigation. In the south, any debris from MH370 would have been widely dispersed by Indian Ocean currents in the week since it disappeared.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/03/16/malaysia-airlines-indianocean-idINDEEA2F01T20140316

It could be that there is no news , on the other hand they may know something and lets say the plane had been taken and was being held for some terrorist related plot then if the authorities knew they are being sensible for once and keeping it to themselves so they don't broadcast to the people who took it that they know where it is , there could be many reasons but the main one is probably that there is nothing new.
  • Options
    TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ex pilot on CNN just now said that whoever was flying the plane through all the ascents and descents between way points is a very skilled pilot and it was "very very practised"
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that 26 countries are involved. Is it normal for that many to come together when something goes missing, even allowing for a large search area?
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised that 26 countries are involved. Is it normal for that many to come together when something goes missing, even allowing for a large search area?
    I think the concern about terrorism has encouraged such strong cooperation.
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    I think the concern about terrorism has encouraged such strong cooperation.
    Yes, perhaps, but it's still an unusually high number I would have thought. Intelligence about terrorism would surely be shared amongst friendly states whether they physically help or not. I still just cant help but wonder why so many.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there another press conference tomorrow morning?

There should be at 9:30 am on sky news. I search twitter during the night to see if a press conference has been announced it normally gets announced about three hours before hand.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Well, I'm glad *somebody* in the world knows what happened! Please do explain how you successfully eliminated the fire hypothesis....

To be fair, the fire camp's argument is a bit woolly. While the fire was big enough to be seen by a rigger 500km away, it also smouldered for hours without triggering any fire alarms on the aircraft, destroying all communications systems simultaneously even though they are metres apart from each other in the avionics bay.

Fire doesn't explain why the plane flew to the Indian Ocean or Kazakhstan. If all communications links failed at once, the pilot should have circled above Malaysia, or carried on to Beijing where their arrival was scheduled for 6:30am local time. Once in Beijing they still had enough fuel to circle while the co-pilot used a passenger's mobile phone to communicate with air traffic control.

Failing that, land adjacent to any major runway and hope the emergency services arrive on the scene quickly.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Today any news event gets flashed around the world in seconds due to the internet, not to mention the millions of iphones now in use. People have come to expect instant reports. But this is different. There is very little left to actually report other than "MH370 is still missing" and unless more countries get involved sending out fleets of ships and suitably equipped reconnaissance aircraft, then it's going to take a hell of a long time.
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently a sub hunter is arriving in Australia tomorrow to search within the Southern arc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tylersnan wrote: »

Was this article posted earlier, i seem to recall somebody having a theory but I overlooked it? After reading this all I can say is Wow! It seems plausible, and if indeed correct, that is a well put together plan. It would explain a lot of the question I had floating around in my head. It actually left me feeling a bit tense at how thought out his theory is
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused:
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    Was this article posted earlier, i seem to recall somebody having a theory but I overlooked it? After reading this all I can say is Wow! It seems plausible, and if indeed correct, that is a well put together plan. It would explain a lot of the question I had floating around in my head. It actually left me feeling a bit tense at how thought out his theory is
    Yes it was posted earlier, the CNN experts all agree that it is indeed plausible
  • Options
    lizbetlizbet Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tylersnan wrote: »

Yes, I saw that on CNN Piers Morgan a wee while ago, very interesting......also just watched on same show a Forensic Psychiatrist say .....that we are operating on a reference point that this was not mechanical failure, and another of the theories is that one of the pilots wanted to commit murder/suicide, he says it doesnt fit with that as this plane took a wandering path and in the past those who did this made straight for the water, he also said that the plane seemed to be fleeing detection and those who are carrying out murder/suicide dont flee the scene, and those who are carrying our spectacle crimes like 9/11 want to be seen and be known and take the credit, he says theres no chatter here and was undercover of night....so whats left...the possibility of piracy...piracy of property...piracy of people .....the main point he seemed to be making though was he was discounting the theory that it was pilot murder/suicide as he said it just didnt fit, and finished by saying that that was a lot more rare than hijackings.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Shadow a plane and pass through India,Pakistan and Afghanistan? Too crazy. Like James bond stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow a plane and pass through India,Pakistan and Afghanistan? Too crazy. Like James bond stuff.

But if the whole 9/11 scenario with two of the tallest buildings in the world being hit by commercial passenger jet airliners and then fully collapsing in that horrific but photogenic manner had been in the 1999 James Bond film you might have said it looked far fetched, yet it happened and is very much a stark and awful reality in the real world and no film set. Even film screenwriters cannot match the real world at times. Just maybe this is another one of those occasions?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    But if the whole 9/11 scenario with two of the tallest buildings in the world being hit by commercial passenger jet airliners and then fully collapsing in that horrific but photogenic manner had been in the 1999 James Bond film you might have said it looked far fetched, yet it happened and is very much a stark and awful reality in the real world and no film set. Even film screenwriters cannot match the real world at times. Just maybe this is another one of those occasions?

If it passed through Afghanistan undetected, they make a mockery out of USAF.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well he's gone to great lengths in plotting out this theory and trying to justify it, and according to his theory the plane has now "most likely landed in one of several land locations north of India and Afghanistan."

That just leaves one damn big aircraft and 239 people to hide away from the world and God knows how many countries actively searching. He hasn't even mentioned anything about that let alone attempted a theory on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Well he's gone to great lengths in plotting out this theory and trying to justify it, and according to his theory the plane has now "most likely landed in one of several land locations north of India and Afghanistan."

That just leaves one damn big aircraft and 239 people to hide away from the world and God knows how many countries actively searching. He hasn't even mentioned anything about that let alone attempted a theory on it.
    I can't help but think these kind of theories are just getting over complicated now and that whatever the explanation is, it will be far more straightforward, even if it is still something unusual. If we were to suddenly hear from anyone from that aircraft in those areas it would actually be far more shocking than finding it in pieces with all passengers and crew gone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well nobody can be sure this guys theory is correct, but at least he has provided answers to questions and backed up his reasons. Yeah, it does sound crazy but let's be honest, we don't live in a world of simplicity :D

This could have been planned for a long time. The pilot has a flight simulator in his house - he could have been getting this down to a t so he could make it full-proof. However, as said above, it only answers the first part of the problem. We could have a possible explanation for the plane disappearing but no idea where it is, and if anybody is still alive. Perhaps the plane dipping and rising in altitude could have caused hypoxia amongst passengers to make it easier for him to get this plane across to mainland asia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I can't help but think these kind of theories are just getting over complicated now and that whatever the explanation is, it will be far more straightforward, even if it is still something unusual. If we were to suddenly hear from anyone from that aircraft in those areas it would actually be far more shocking than finding it in pieces with all passengers and crew gone.
    The more complicated and technical gives that certain 'appeal' which many people want. I'm sure if it's eventually found at the bottom of some ocean bed, these people will be almost disappointed!

Well nobody can be sure this guys theory is correct, but at least he has provided answers to questions and backed up his reasons. Yeah, it does sound crazy but let's be honest, we don't live in a world of simplicity :D
    He hasn't even attempted a theory on just how a huge plane on land plus 239 people could possibly be 'hidden away' from the world.

He's missed the most important part out. He may just as well have written a novel without a final chapter.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    This could have been planned for a long time. The pilot has a flight simulator in his house - he could have been getting this down to a t so he could make it full-proof.

The simulator means absolutely nothing, probably tens of thousands of non airline pilots will have similar (or better) systems in their homes :)
    In terms of FS enthusiasts that would probably be sort of slightly above mid level, as it had multiple displays but no dedicated panels (he appears to have used what are possibly touchscreens or just plain normal displays for a lot of the controls, where some FS fans would either buy a panel with physical switches, or make one*)

A lot of pilots do however use things like flightsim x for training on approaches and learning landmarks for new routes, but that isn't anything scary (well apart from the idea that they may not be able to get time in their airlines training simulator to learn that as well as they'd like).

It's also more likely that he may have used it for fun "flying" aircraft he no longer gets to pilot in his job (which would explain part of the reason for using what appear to be touch screens as they can be reconfigured), or aircraft he wants to learn to fly/is expecting to move onto in his job.

I really don't get why people are surprised that a pilot (who presumably is a fan of aviation and on a good wage), would have a computer setup for things like flight simulators at home - the joystick shown in one of the pictures suggests he might be as likely to use it for a fighter simulator or space combat game as much as commercial aircraft simulator (given you can buy a flight yoke and pedal set which would be more realistic for commercial aircraft than the stick).

*There are FS fans out there who have recreated the cockpits (including seating and all the switches), for things like fighters and commercial aircraft, and others who have 6+ displays going back to the CRT era.
  • Options
    DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have got a feeling this is going to end badly ...
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    To be fair, the fire camp's argument is a bit woolly. While the fire was big enough to be seen by a rigger 500km away, it also smouldered for hours without triggering any fire alarms on the aircraft, destroying all communications systems simultaneously even though they are metres apart from each other in the avionics bay.
    You are conflating two separate theories into one - the rigger's explosion would require the aircraft to be in the South China Sea relatively near to the rig.
    If the explosion was big enough to be seen 500km away then every point between would have seen a much larger explosion probably with sound effects.
    It would have also been large enough to have been seen by satellite.
This discussion has been closed.