• porky42porky42 Posts: 12,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    porky42 wrote: »
    A great find. Thanks for posting!

Judge Knott is actually one step further away from the State's appeal argument than Masipa was. He excludes dolus eventualis wrt Reeva only and not, as Masipa did, wrt Reeva or anyone else.
  • pinkbandanapinkbandana Posts: 1,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judge Knott is actually one step further away from the State's appeal argument than Masipa was. He excludes dolus eventualis wrt Reeva only and not, as Masipa did, wrt Reeva or anyone else.

And he's surely wrong when he says: "He did not shoot at the Deceased mistakenly thinking she was the intruder." and rejects error in persona.

And then later on he excludes dolus on the basis that he accepted that OP believed he was acting in self-defense, which is the other key argument against DE.

Still, it was an interesting read :)
  • curleys wifecurleys wife Posts: 3,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Isn't he saying that in accepting the defence claim that OP believed he was acting in self defence, any dolus is immediately removed?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't he saying that in accepting the defence claim that OP believed he was acting in self defence, any dolus is immediately removed?

That's how I took it as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's how I took it as well.

I thought he articulated really well how and why the state's sudden-argument-loses-control-and-kills version was less credible than the defence's panic-response-to-perceived-intruder version
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I did whizz through it last night so you may well be right. I tried to check but it has since been edited and the DE part of the article is now only available in the original publication.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought he articulated really well how and why the state's sudden-argument-loses-control-and-kills version was less credible than the defence's panic-response-to-perceived-intruder version

I agree and it's not something that's been much discussed on here or anywhere really. I guess that's why some are so keen to see the negative in every newspaper report as they see in them evidence to bolster the state's version that OP could have just snapped and then gone so far as to commit murder without drugs or alcohol, any history of abusive relationships or a motive. I've often wondered why so many people seem so convinced of his guilt, even those who have looked at the evidence, and it does seem as though there has been a comprehensive blackening of his name and character and that this is why people are willing to believe it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree and it's not something that's been much discussed on here or anywhere really. I guess that's why some are so keen to see the negative in every newspaper report as they see in them evidence to bolster the state's version that OP could have just snapped and then gone so far as to commit murder without drugs or alcohol, any history of abusive relationships or a motive. I've often wondered why so many people seem so convinced of his guilt, even those who have looked at the evidence, and it does seem as though there has been a comprehensive blackening of his name and character and that this is why people are willing to believe it.

I guess a hero-turns-murderer story is more interesting than a hero-feels-vulnerable-and-makes-a-mistake story. One is more Hollywood and the other a little disappointing, albeit more realistic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did whizz through it last night so you may well be right. I tried to check but it has since been edited and the DE part of the article is now only available in the original publication.

How odd! Suddenly having to pay to see the final part! !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The little I did know of OP before the shooting, specifically the Olympic incidents, did not paint a very flattering picture. Apparently he "snapped" and was violent on these occasions, albeit against furniture not persons.

These character judgements might be fine for helping us to choose our friends and avoid trouble but useless in a court of law.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How odd! Suddenly having to pay to see the final part! !

The author must have got wind of the fact that we're interested ;-) :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The little I did know of OP before the shooting, specifically the Olympic incidents, did not paint a very flattering picture. Apparently he "snapped" and was violent on these occasions, albeit against furniture not persons.

These character judgements might be fine for helping us to choose our friends and avoid trouble but useless in a court of law.

Yes, that's true. Do you disagree with 'judge knott' then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Haha- looks that way!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, that and the interest of the other 8,000 people who viewed the page. The link was shared on twitter I think. What a shame though - I guess his/her intention was not entirely to educate the public then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good grief! It's hard to know where to start with that! Some dodgy assertions being made in abundance! !
  • stressfree_manstressfree_man Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

His actions after killing her gave rise to him doing little to nothing that would have helped to save her life and everything to ensure she did die
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His actions after killing her gave rise to him doing little to nothing that would have helped to save her life and everything to ensure she did die

If I was OP and I wanted to be sure that Reeva was going to be dead and unable to condemn me then I would have waited for her breathing and heart to stop before calling for emergency help. After all there would be no sense in taking a risk that she might struggle on even with that head injury.

I could afford to wait because having seen the injury it would be obvious that I would not be waiting long. If it came out later that I had delayed I could always say I was in shock.

At this point even if she could still be resuscitated I would still be okay because by the time even the quickest emergency services could arrive it would then be too late.

Then, for appearances sake, I would first call for an ambulance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you think he shouted for help before he shot her?
  • ImDianeSimmondsImDianeSimmonds Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Interesting, what specific actions of his saw him do everything to ensure she died?
  • ImDianeSimmondsImDianeSimmonds Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good grief! It's hard to know where to start with that! Some dodgy assertions being made in abundance! !

Yes, some dodgy assertions being made and the writer's bias was evident..........

Now where have we heard that before ;-);-)
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oscar Pistorius ‘to be released in August’ as appeal date is set for November

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/08/oscar-pistorius-appeal-date-november-released-august

So no surprises there then!
  • Moody BlueMoody Blue Posts: 5,686
    Forum Member
    Oscar Pistorius ‘to be released in August’ as appeal date is set for November

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/08/oscar-pistorius-appeal-date-november-released-august

So no surprises there then!

Will they they televise the appeal, do you know?
This discussion has been closed.