Advise me, should i get sky?

Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
Forum Member
:D
Im in Two minds here, and dont know what to do.

At the moment, i have virgin 50mb broadband, i have a humax free view+ box, and i use an android tv box for streaming the occasional movie and tv show;-), not many or anything, but i dont reckon i really use the extra 40mb virgin is getting me.

I pay £35 for the virgin, i did look into upgrading virgin, but there are no real offers online.

I looked at sky and i looks like i could get a sky+hd box, line rental, and 5-8mb broadband for £36, and it looks like i get a free samsung 32" telly thrown in.

Now i could do with a new telly for the bedroom, but i aint letting that swing me, but im not sure what i should do, on the face of it, the decision looks obvious, and i know im in a sky forum:D

but what would people advise?, baring in mind i dont have great credit, so somewhere who does a credit check would be best avoided.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »

At the moment, i have virgin 50mb broadband, i have a humax free view+ box, and i use an android tv box for streaming the occasional movie and tv show;-), not many or anything, but i dont reckon i really use the extra 40mb virgin is getting me.

I pay £35 for the virgin, i did look into upgrading virgin, but there are no real offers online.

I looked at sky and i looks like i could get a sky+hd box, line rental, and 5-8mb broadband for £36, and it looks like i get a free samsung 32" telly thrown in.

Now i could do with a new telly for the bedroom, but i aint letting that swing me, but im not sure what i should do, on the face of it, the decision looks obvious, and i know im in a sky forum:D

but what would people advise?, baring in mind i dont have great credit, so somewhere who does a credit check would be best avoided.

Thanks for any advice.

Phone Sky and ask them to do a credit check assessment for you, if you pass, then that means that you can get Sky, if not, then stick with Virgin.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    Phone Sky and ask them to do a credit check assessment for you, if you pass, then that means that you can get Sky, if not, then stick with Virgin.

I might just apply online, then tell virgin i am leaving, if i pass the credit check, i will go with sky, if i dont i will await virgins call to see what they can offer me then cancel the cancellation last minute.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AFAIK, Sky do not credit check you.
    Forum Member
    AFAIK, Sky do not credit check you.
    Yeah, i heard they dont but the conditions do say subject to status, so who knows.

I will pass an identity check though, electoral roll, utility bills, driving license.

Guess i will find out when i order it, will do it Friday when i get paid.

I doubt id stay with virgin, i doubt theres anything they can offer me that equates to a £200 telly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just signed up with Sky moving from Virgtin Media. I have top packages and will be saving £40 per month. Virgin would not match the Sky offer even though they are doing a new customer offer which would match.

Virgin require a 30 days notice so you could give them notice. They could decide to give you an offer to retain your custom.

Sky can get you setup in less than 2 weeks including providing a new phone line as you cannot get Sky with a Virgin landline.

Best bet is to give notice to Virgin and then approach Sky. If nothing doing with Sky you can always tell Virgin you have changed your mind and cancel the notice,
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you pay £35 for the BB (don't know if you have a LL as you never said) then you should phone them up.

I pay £19.50 for 50Mb BB only, i've heard of people getting the BB and LL for about the same price as i pay.
    Forum Member
    johnathome wrote: »
    If you pay £35 for the BB (don't know if you have a LL as you never said) then you should phone them up.

I pay £19.50 for 50Mb BB only, i've heard of people getting the BB and LL for about the same price as i pay.
    Im just on the basic Broadband, around 30mb i think, for the difference of a few quid per month i can get tv, phone and a free TV from sky, not sure virgin could match that, they may offer to cut my Broadband mind you.
  • Jimmy_CarterJimmy_Carter Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If its not fibreoptic bb then you really will notice a difference. Forget about streaming content on more than one device at a time and Sky's router is awfull and restrictive.
    get sky for tv if you want Atlantic but i would keep VM for internet at least until fibre optic is available from Sky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If its not fibreoptic bb then you really will notice a difference. Forget about streaming content on more than one device at a time and Sky's router is awfull and restrictive.
    get sky for tv if you want Atlantic but i would keep VM for internet at least until fibre optic is available from Sky.

Not strictly true, you can stream fine on ADSL2+ broadband on more than 1 device, if you have a fast enough speed, you do not need FIbre Broadband for that.
  • Jimmy_CarterJimmy_Carter Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not strictly true, you can stream fine on ADSL2+ broadband on more than 1 device, if you have a fast enough speed, you do not need FIbre Broadband for that.

IF you are lucky... Ever tried connecting a wireless printer to a Sky router? Nigh on impossible!
  • catsaregreycatsaregrey Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might just apply online, then tell virgin i am leaving, if i pass the credit check, i will go with sky, if i dont i will await virgins call to see what they can offer me then cancel the cancellation last minute.

my credit record is pretty awful and ive had sky for about 3 yrs now. It never even occured to me that they credit check you
    Forum Member
    IF you are lucky... Ever tried connecting a wireless printer to a Sky router? Nigh on impossible!
    Well i should have a week or 2 with both virgin and Sky internet, i wonder if sky is very slow, would i be able to cancel?

If i could change my mind i could then stay with virgin, hmmm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yep, i had sky broadband for 3 years, has a speed around 20mb, and connected all my wireless devices to it fine, including phones, laptops and printers.

Not sure what connecting a wireless printer has to do with line speed though, i would say absolutely nothing.
    Forum Member
    Booked in for sky this morning, £36 per month, unlimited internet and free 32"telly.

Tv box getting fitted 6th august and phone line/internet a week later.

Called virgin to cancel and they only offered a cut to £23 for internet, i told them if they would get down to £16 i would cancel the broadband and phone deal with sky then i would have virgin internet and sky Tv, they wernt having any of it, so i cancelled.

Not sure if if virgin do call back if i could even cancel my phone/broadband install now, the free 32" tv deal is on ly for the tv bundles so i should be able to cancel the BB and still get the telly.

Ah well, stuff them, if virgin dont want my money, sky can have it.:p
    Forum Member
    Update Virgin called me back and offered me 50mb BB for £17 per month, so i cancelled sky BB but am keeping sky TV for £20 per month.

So basically i was paying £35 pm to virgin for 30mb BB...

Now i am paying £17 pm for 50mb BB, and £20 Sky+HD box original bundle, total £37

And virgin gave me a £18 credit onto my account.

So basically for the whole of next year i am paying an extra £6, and for that im getting faster internet, free sky tv and a free 32" samsung Telly

Well worth the hour or so it took in shopping about.
  • samantha_vinesamantha_vine Posts: 1,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update Virgin called me back and offered me 50mb BB for £17 per month, so i cancelled sky BB but am keeping sky TV for £20 per month.

So basically i was paying £35 pm to virgin for 30mb BB...

Now i am paying £17 pm for 50mb BB, and £20 Sky+HD box original bundle, total £37

And virgin gave me a £18 credit onto my account.

So basically for the whole of next year i am paying an extra £6, and for that im getting faster internet, free sky tv and a free 32" samsung Telly

Well worth the hour or so it took in shopping about.

did you go through and cancel before Virgin called you? Also how long did it take for Virgin to call you back.
    Forum Member
    did you go through and cancel before Virgin called you? Also how long did it take for Virgin to call you back.
    Cancelled Friday, they just called me back today around 11am.

You need to give virgin a month notice to cancel, but you can change your mind right up to the last minute if you wanted, and sky take about 2 weeks to install a phoneline, so you have a good window there to arrange sky, then cancel if you need to.

I suspect if i held out longer i would have been offered an even better deal, but i was happy with what i ended up with, so agreed.
  • samantha_vinesamantha_vine Posts: 1,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cancelled Friday, they just called me back today around 11am.

You need to give virgin a month notice to cancel, but you can change your mind right up to the last minute if you wanted, and sky take about 2 weeks to install a phoneline, so you have a good window there to arrange sky, then cancel if you need to.

I suspect if i held out longer i would have been offered an even better deal, but i was happy with what i ended up with, so agreed.

Yeah I will do next month
    Cancel and hope for a better deal. We want BT Sport and Sky Sports and Movies with Virgin so we obviously want the best price possible.
    I will also cancel Sky and see what they offer me.