Options

LOTR on Channel 4, are they having a laugh?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    :mad:FUMING about the credit squeeze right at the pinacle of the movie, couldnt have been at a worse place.

Anyone see this.:mad:

Buy the DVds then!
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Mistakes happen. Are you perfect 100% of the time?
    No, no one is.
    And no need for the cocky attitude on text speak.
    I made the comment because i didn't have a clue what you was on about untill i put it into Google.
    USA is an accepted abbreviation internationally as its a country, not a film screened for free!

The only reason I opened the thread was because I had no idea what LOTR was.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Mistakes happen. Are you perfect 100% of the time?
    No, no one is.
    And no need for the cocky attitude on text speak.
    I made the comment because i didn't have a clue what you was on about untill i put it into Google.
    USA is an accepted abbreviation internationally as its a country, not a film screened for free!

How do you know it was a mistake?
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy the DVds then!

Absolutely correct. I mean, they could just show the first 20 minutes of it and then advise everyone to go and buy the DVD!!

It would mean the increase in DVD sales and tv channels could fit in even more 20 minute tasters!!!
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    Buy the DVds then!

The trilogy on Blu ray is £15 in the HMV sale.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pedrok wrote: »
    Absolutely correct. I mean, they could just show the first 20 minutes of it and then advise everyone to go and buy the DVD!!

It would mean the increase in DVD sales and tv channels could fit in even more 20 minute tasters!!!

Or they could space the 20 mins out over two hours by putting in 1h40m of ads - just like Ch5 do with The Wright Stuff.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    And C4 never show the LOTR films in HD anyway.
    Both the second and third films were definitely in HD based on the brief moments I saw. Didn't see the first one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    I didn't watch LOTR I-III on CH4 though, it's the commercials of course.

In the age of sitcoms, soaps and occasional TV movies the concept of interruptions every 20 minutes was acceptable, to take a cinema film and stuff it full of adverts just does not work for the modern generation.

Should CH4 not show films? I think they should do a loss-leader thing like supermarkets and use films as a branding/loyalty-building exercise rather than a means to profit.

LOTR trilogy with ONE intermission each film (with commercials) would have done CH4s reputation no end of good, and it's a reputation that really needs mending.
    You're deluded if you think supermarkets do loss leaders for brand loyalty... (If anybody makes a loss it would be the producer of the goods, not the supermarket).

Also, even with adverts Film4 barely turns a profit (and has made a loss in past years), it simply does not make economic sense for them to air films ad free, especially since their remit includes them regularly airing films across the network. So it's not like they could just air less films, to reduce the loss. And should we really be encouraging a state owned broadcaster to make a loss, just because some older people think it was better in their day?
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re ad breaks - just thank yourself lucky you don't live in the states. I've just got back from a trip and tv was pretty much unwatchable for me there with the sheer frequency of adverts.
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rarely watch movies on TV anyways. This is probably the primary example as to why people are willing to pay over the odds (imo) to have Sky movies. You pay a premium and you get a premium service. Netflix and Lovefilms and services such as these are where it's at when it comes to viewing movies at home.

Nothing can beat a good movie transfer on bluray with a decent sound set up though. I am currently making my way through Hitchcock's masterpiece box on blu-ray, and the transfer is simply stunning. You can't get that on tv. They can't even be bothered to show The Birds in its original aspect ratio ffs.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Buy the DVds then!
    what a pointless, troll like load of rubbish.

Should we then not watch anything on commercial tv stations and instead buy all stuff on television.

If the content is shown on a channel, it is there to viewed, that is its purpose for being aired, to get viewers.

There are adverts there, they need to be there, however they dont need to be in the centre of the pinacle of the whole movie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    what a pointless, troll like load of rubbish.

Should we then not watch anything on commercial tv stations and instead buy all stuff on television.

If the content is shown on a channel, it is there to viewed, that is its purpose for being aired, to get viewers.

There are adverts there, they need to be there, however they dont need to be in the centre of the pinacle of the whole movie.

the fact of the matter is LOTR: Extended Editions are the best way to watch the Lord of the Rings Movies.

Adverts are always going to happen in Non-BBC broadcast movies on the five main channels and that fact won't change
  • Options
    jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They hire Red Bee Media, like the BBC. Clueless idiots is what they provide, like Duncan Dipstick on the BBC.

Talking of the BBC, BBC2 once ran a promo during the MIDDLE of an episode of '24', for the spinoff discussion programme that followed, Pure 24.

However, the perfect(!) timing on the '24' episode was done such that it started when a character stopped talking, and ended when another one began talking in the next scene.

That was NOT a mistake. It was calculated.
    Would you like to provide some proof of that? You seem to know it as fact?

The timing would have been a coincidence, the event itself a mistake. You can put away the conspiracy theories. If you really think that was done deliberately then you really don't understand about that particular part of broadcasting!
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    If you cared that much about the film you would watch the extended edition on DVD
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swills wrote: »
    Isn't most of the ad inserts and forthcoming programme info now all done by pre-programmed computers, so if there is an ad break at 2125 then so be it! I am probably way wide of the mark though! and no doubt staffing levels were down to the bare minimum over the Christmas / New Year too!

In an office when there's little going on, yes, but in a TV studio when audiences are at a potential high? Not a chance.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    How do you know it was a mistake?

Like with anything, mistakes happen.
    Anyone that works in broadcasting will know that mistakes do, can and always will happen ranging from swearing live on-air before the watershed, to a camera going down (Sky Sports today) to a satellite link failure and playout timing error's.
    Channel 4 had a mistake during the film where a promo kicked in before the film was finished meaning it was behind, either because of an overrun of ads or promos or just a mis-calculation in timing, but mistakes do happen.
    Thats how i know it was a mistake!
  • Options
    pjexpjex Posts: 9,380
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Both the second and third films were definitely in HD based on the brief moments I saw. Didn't see the first one.

Really, they were only advertised as SD on the Sky EPG. I don't believe they have ever been shown in HD even on Sky, anyone know why?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    pjex wrote: »
    Really, they were only advertised as SD on the Sky EPG. I don't believe they have ever been shown in HD even on Sky, anyone know why?

I'm not sure, but it may be something to do with the fact the're distributed by Entertainment in Video in the UK, who perhaps didn't issue a HD print (possibly didn't even have one) when the film was first broadcast on TV...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Just had a reply back from channel4 regarding the issue, thought maybe you'd find it interesting:

Dear Mr F,

Thank you for your email.

We can only apologise for the technical error which occurred meaning an announcement played out inadvertently toward the end of the film THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING. This was not intentional and whilst we do have procedures in place to try and ensure there are no issues with our transmission, unfortunate incidents like this can, on the rare occasion, occur. Our transmission team are looking into this as a matter of urgency and again, we can only apologise for the disruption to your enjoyment of the film.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us. We appreciate all feedback from our viewers; complimentary or otherwise.

Regards,

Grace Dawson

Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries

Simple technical glitch it seems,

Roo
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it was nice to get a reply, considering the Christmas holidays :)
  • Options
    angel44angel44 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL..

Watching Lord Of The Rings on a commercial channel....
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RooJ wrote: »
    Simple technical glitch it seems,

Roo

I got the same, but surely a human knows if they've pressed the button to blah-blah-blah about the next programme, if they've got it wrong, then not to carry on talking but to shut the hell up and correct things ASAP!

And what on earth happened to 90% of the end credits? It just crashed out after the initial section.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the same, but surely a human knows if they've pressed the button to blah-blah-blah about the next programme, if they've got it wrong, then not to carry on talking but to shut the hell up and correct things ASAP!

And what on earth happened to 90% of the end credits? It just crashed out after the initial section.

but you will still complain on here for even that slight error. Take their apology and move on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has happened with a number of epic, i.e. long films, that I have watched on channel 4 the credits are cut or have a badly timed voice over.
  • Options
    tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

These inserts are sometimes pre-recorded during a programme for transmission at the end running under automation control - if the automation that triggers it is programmed incorrectly, then the automation will fire the promo at the wrong time. Sometimes they're done live, but again, if the automation is programmed wrongly, it can still fire in the wrong place.

Similar things happened when ITV HD went to an ad break just as a goal was about to be scored - the HD automation machine had gone to a screen saver, the "Take Next" button was left highlighted, and someone hit return to wake the screen, which inadvertently fired the ad break!

Human error happens, in broadcast environments we try to minimise the human error as much as possible, and generally very few mistakes are made (and fewer are seen on-air).

Also, to answer another point made above, the transmission control rooms and broadcasters in general will definitely be on skeleton staffing over the christmas and new year break.