Krypton - New Superman Origin Series

Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Syfy and David S. Goyer ("Man of Steel", "The Dark Knight", "The Dark Knight Rises", "Constantine", etc) announced that they're developing a new comic book based series for the channel.

The potential new TV show takes place on the planet Krypton, years before the Superman legend we know, when the House of El was shamed and ostracized. This drama, which is in development, follows the Man of Steel's grandfather as he brings hope and equality to Krypton, turning a planet in disarray into one worthy of giving birth to the greatest Super Hero ever known.

LINK

Comments

• NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Overkill.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This sounds promising
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just won't let him die.

I must say though, I am curious about it. They're high-evoultionaries. But no powers, unfortunately.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    could work, the opening scenes of man of steel were good. hope its set in same krypton as that.
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meh, it just seems like another show linking itself to a known name in-order to gain interest and viewers.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    Syfy and David S. Goyer ("Man of Steel", "The Dark Knight", "The Dark Knight Rises", "Constantine", etc) announced that they're developing a new comic book based series for the channel.

The potential new TV show takes place on the planet Krypton, years before the Superman legend we know, when the House of El was shamed and ostracized. This drama, which is in development, follows the Man of Steel's grandfather as he brings hope and equality to Krypton, turning a planet in disarray into one worthy of giving birth to the greatest Super Hero ever known.

LINK
    what? unless they are going to create a new timeline for this series, (as in not the one from Man of Steel) im not sure talk of hope and equality are quite the right words to describe it, given that the planet is in total disarray and seemingly had been for some time, artificial birth etc so the suggesting is that Krypton falls apart on Jo'rel watch, after his Dad "brings hope and equality to Krypton, turning a planet in disarray into one worthy of giving birth to the greatest Super Hero ever known. "
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Well this sounds like a better idea than the Supergirl TV show which sounds terrible!

I guess this shows that DC are not giving up on their TV shows like some people have said especially with their rumoured Teen Titans TV show pilot as well!
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't see this lasting more than a season.

Reminding me a bit of Caprica.

Delve into the Politics of a world we know is going to be destroyed in 50 odd years.

Unlike Gotham they're not going to be able to fit in many well known characters (which may be a good thing) but I'm guessing they'll have General Zod turn up as the main bad guy.
    Forum Member
    That's a good point about the well known character as Krypton have a lot less to use than Gotham had which might effect ratings as people won't watch it if the characters are not as well known as they are in Gotham!

That's the one advantage that Batman always had over Superman was the depth of his characters and villians!
  • TATTOO62TATTOO62 Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    The only decent scenes in Man of Steel were the Krypton ones but I can't see there being a budget for that. More like the cities in tv Star Trek where they're mostly very sparsely populated, minimalist and strangely in a desert environment.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A show set solely on the planet of Krypton? That's gonna cost a fair bit of money to create, no?

It is on Sy-Fy so they'll probably be using a lot of cardboard! :D

I think this superhero TV takeover has hit its peak and could start becoming overkill if the tv execs aren't careful.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think supergirl will be more successful than this if its done right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't abide prequels at the best of times, but this sounds beyond awful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Prequels rarely work. Look at the sad thing that is Gotham for further proof.
    Forum Member
    However despite me finding Gotham very average it has still been a success in the ratings!

Which is the reason why they are going ahead with this Krypton prequel series!
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Hasn't this been cancelled yet as the world's most stupid idea? :D
  • THE ROTCODTHE ROTCOD Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'll take smallville anyday especially s1-5