Jury Service

2»

Comments

• Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have done it three times, got out of a 4th occasion because I was moving. Did it a few months back and if you are called within two years of your last jury sitting you can asked to be excused. If after a lapse of two years, you can't get out of it. You can get called many times, not just 3, right up to the upper age limit. I can't remember what that upper age limit is, think it might be 70. If you are sitting on a heavy, traumatic case, the judge has the discretion to stop you being summoned ever again after that case has closed. It can be very interesting, it can be very boring. Take lots of reading material. You meet a lot of people from different backgrounds which can be interesting. If you sit on a case for a while you become a weird little family with your fellow jurors. I hope I don't get called again. I only know a few people that have done JS, the majority of people I know have never been summoned. So, ask somebody else!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange how some people get called up a lot and others not at all - none of my family have been called up. I only know of two close friends being called up and that is it.

Almost seems like it isn't totally random.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    Strange how some people get called up a lot and others not at all - none of my family have been called up. I only know of two close friends being called up and that is it.

Almost seems like it isn't totally random.

They do it in areas. A couple of years ago myself and my husband and my neighbour and here husband were all called with a two week period. I got called again and so did my son last year. My daughter saw the postman that day who was delivering call up things to at least half a dozen houses in my small road of less than 50 houses.
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the case drags on do they put you up in a hotel to stop you discussing the case with others?
    I'd only do it if it was something juicy like a murder case but most of the times I think it's something mundane like unpaid parking tickets or TV licence evasion
  • trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the case drags on do they put you up in a hotel to stop you discussing the case with others?
    I'd only do it if it was something juicy like a murder case but most of the times I think it's something mundane like unpaid parking tickets or TV licence evasion

no the mundane stuff is handled at the magistrates court

you only get called up to ''crown court '' for jury ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so it usually is murder , child sex crime etc
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually arrived late on my first day of jury service. I wasn't familiar with the area, and it took me ages to find a parking space. I didn't get into any trouble over it, but I missed the explanatory video, and I wasn't offered another chance to view it.

Over the fortnight I only spent about four hours actually serving on juries. Some days I wasn't required to attend, and when I was there I spent most of my time in a waiting room surrounded by smokers (this was about twenty years ago).

Sincerely hope I never get called up for jury service again.
  • Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a code of dress for jury service? I mean do you have to wear a shirt and tie in court or if its a hot summers day is it ok to wear shorts etc?
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No. You're told not to discuss the case and not to look it up on the internet. Obviously you could do both even if you were in a hotel, but you'd be in serious trouble if you it was discovered that you did anything that could prevent the defendant getting a fair trial.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a code of dress for jury service? I mean do you have to wear a shirt and tie in court or if its a hot summers day is it ok to wear shorts etc?

I remember attending wearing a long sleeved green t-shirt and black jeans (I'm male btw), and nothing was said. I don't recall any sort of dress code. Some of the others did wear suits.

I also remember that the courtroom benches were extremely uncomfortable and had insufficient legroom. As said, though, I didn't spend much time in there (and this was about 20 years ago. Maybe it's changed since then).
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    No. You're told not to discuss the case and not to look it up on the internet. Obviously you could do both even if you were in a hotel, but you'd be in serious trouble if you it was discovered that you did anything that could prevent the defendant getting a fair trial.

that's why I don't think the media should report on a case until after the trial. I bet there have been cases where a innocent man or woman has gone to prison because they didn't get a fair trial due to the media and even if the person is found not guilty it can still ruin their life because mud sticks.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member

You have to dress respectable, No football shirts etc, You are not required to wear a shirt and tie

Shorts would not be allowed as in most professional environments
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    As a Scottish person I enjoyed it. Getting to sit there and judge others! lol