Can I refuse to pay the water bill?

ChieChie Posts: 4,407
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Since the UN convention on Human Rights states that everyone has a right to have free access to water, would this mean it's okay not to pay the water bill? I'm being fleeced for something that is a basic human right! Will I get in trouble if I refuse to pay?

Comments

• LaChatteGitaneLaChatteGitane Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chie wrote:
    Since the UN convention on Human Rights states that everyone has a right to have free access to water, would this mean it's okay not to pay the water bill? I'm being fleeced for something that is a basic human right! Will I get in trouble if I refuse to pay?

Can you post a link to this ?
    I find this very difficult to believe. Anyway, I think everyone should pay something for the water one pollutes.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are people who deliberately don't pay because they can't cut you off by law, apparently.

Not something I'd want on my credit report though. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe that they'll only cap the supply if you're a business.

However, they may be able to deduct your unpaid bill directly from your salary or from your rent payments (if you live in council housing).
  • ChieChie Posts: 4,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you post a link to this ?
    I find this very difficult to believe. Anyway, I think everyone should pay something for the water one pollutes.

It is true, find it on Google if you want :)

stvn758 I guess they're not allowed to cut you off because water is a basic human right and has to be free to all, then? I really don't want to pay this bill. My credit report is shot to bits anyway so it wouldn't make any difference.
  • ArcasArcas Posts: 2,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I refuse to pay the water bill?

Yes of course you can.

Do you like porridge? :D
  • 12bigbrother1212bigbrother12 Posts: 4,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted post :o:o:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,440
    Forum Member
    Chie wrote:
    Since the UN convention on Human Rights states that everyone has a right to have free access to water,
    That's the free access to water, not the access to free water.

Big difference.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    I believe that they'll only cap the supply if you're a business.

However, they may be able to deduct your unpaid bill directly from your salary or from your rent payments (if you live in council housing).

Deductions from rent payments is not possible. LA's are merely responsible for providing the stock and connections for services but are not responsible for their tenants paying their utilities bills.

If a tenant chooses not to pay their bills then they face the consequence of disconnection or recovery action.. It is nothing to do with the Council.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Well judging by your previous posts you will a) do it any way and b) not care too much that the rest of us will have to pay more to cover your share. Which is why I believe that this post is simply here to put peoples backs up.

You seem to think that you deserve to have an easy ride taking out credit cards you can't afford to pay for and expecting banks to lend you money for your whims. I'm not sure why you choose to post about it, you clearly think you are right and are not open to the other comments. Go ahead, try and get as much out of life at no cost to you(just the other honest people who are charged more because of it). But for god's sake shut up about it!
  • pjb007pjb007 Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you paying for the water or are you paying to access to and maintenance of the pipework to your house from the waterworks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chie,

I too have an appalling credit following debt (my own fault, I hasten to admit.)

They won't cut you off. BUT you will be making your rating worse, which means that it will affect you for longer. Just phone the company, say you're having problems and can you work out some type of payment plan with them.
  • LaChatteGitaneLaChatteGitane Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chie wrote:
    It is true, find it on Google if you want :)

stvn758 I guess they're not allowed to cut you off because water is a basic human right and has to be free to all, then? I really don't want to pay this bill. My credit report is shot to bits anyway so it wouldn't make any difference.

I googled for 10 mins and the only thing I can find is that it is a human right to have acces to water. However, it doesn't say 'free' access to water.
  • JingoJingo Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Dont pay, they'll take you to court, get a county court judgment against you, and employ bailiffs to come round.......I'm sure they'll want to know all about your human rights.
  • FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe in free speech but I still have to pay my phone bill. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wingpatrol wrote:
    Deductions from rent payments is not possible. LA's are merely responsible for providing the stock and connections for services but are not responsible for their tenants paying their utilities bills.

If a tenant chooses not to pay their bills then they face the consequence of disconnection or recovery action.. It is nothing to do with the Council.

I've just Googled and checked up on this... If your unable to work (or find work) and living in council accomodation, your rent is paid by the D.S.S. This scenario is the same across the country...

Now, in Bolton, if you refuse to pay your water bill, United Utilities have the authority to contact your local D.S.S. office and deduct repayment from your benefits. I guess "rent" was the wrong word. I don't know how they know which council tenants are within receipt of benefits and which aren't.

I don't know of any water authority which is allowed to disconnect a non-paying user.

This link alludes to Oldham (also in Greater Manchester): http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:Fcbq6poUB54J:www.oldham.gov.uk/ocfs-soc-wr2.pdf+%22United+Utilities%22+deduct+benefits&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I googled for 10 mins and the only thing I can find is that it is a human right to have acces to water. However, it doesn't say 'free' access to water.

Gas and electricity companies can send around the local distribution engineers to cut off your power supplies. But water authorities can't cut off your water supply. You could end up in prison though.
  • ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chie wrote:

Are you being unreasonably fleeced i.e. paying more than your next door neighbour, or are you just being fleeced the same as the rest of us are?

I'm just wondering what your justification is for not paying for something that has been prepared so that it is safe enough for you to use?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The actual price of the water on a water bill is relatively small its mostly sewerage...
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chie wrote:

Who do you suggest should pay for collecting the water, treating it to make sure you don't contract all sorts of unpleasant illnesses from bacteria which would otherwise be in it, transporting it to your house and then saving you the bother of removing all sewage from your property afterwards? These things do cost money you know.
  • donlothariodonlothario Posts: 5,289
    Forum Member
    The only way that you could get away with not paying the bill is to remove all the pipework from your house including both the supply pipework and the sewage pipework from your home. You would then have to find a source of free water, presumably from a water barrel to collect rain water. You would also need to dig a pit to dispose of your sewage.

You would however still be liable for the bill for the supply which you have had up to date.

My suggestion would be to pay monthly instalments on your water bill, the same as most other people do.
  • Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it that some of the younger generation seem to think they are owed a living by the rest of us?
    Chie, who made a post about asking if it was right to commit benefit fraud, admitted to owing huge amounts on credit cards and store cards, and now wants free water :eek:
    What the heck does she think the rest of us do? we have to work hard and pay bills, yes admitedly the water is to be honest unreasonably high. But we HAVE to pay it.
    Please chie, think before you post, people do not like spongers who want everything for free. Go out get a job and quit whinging. By all means refuse to pay, but then watch your benefits drop as they take it out of your money.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately us Scots don't get the option to not pay for water.

It is a fixed charge which is collected as part of the Council Tax. If I was to not pay it I would get the Council Tax people coming after me threatening court proceedings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    I've just Googled and checked up on this... If your unable to work (or find work) and living in council accomodation, your rent is paid by the D.S.S. This scenario is the same across the country...

Now, in Bolton, if you refuse to pay your water bill, United Utilities have the authority to contact your local D.S.S. office and deduct repayment from your benefits. I guess "rent" was the wrong word. I don't know how they know which council tenants are within receipt of benefits and which aren't.

I don't know of any water authority which is allowed to disconnect a non-paying user.

This link alludes to Oldham (also in Greater Manchester): http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:Fcbq6poUB54J:www.oldham.gov.uk/ocfs-soc-wr2.pdf+%22United+Utilities%22+deduct+benefits&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6

Easy really. If tenants are on Income Support or other benefits which entitle them to Housing and Council Tax Benefit then the Water Board will usually advise the customer that they can deduct direct from source (if they are willing) and if they do it in a particular area.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I know where there is a free water source. Bloody long walk back with a barrel though.
  • SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,834
    Forum Member
    I'm sure I read that the water company cannot cut you off, but can reduce the amount of water supplied to a tiny amount, just the basic amount needed to live, wash etc (what that amount is I can't remember).

Although one question that begs to be asked is, if you don't wish to pay your water bill, why should anyone?