Great British Menu 2012

Comments

• ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    Perhaps it would have been better if they'd had some chefs from the North East.

:D

That would be too radical for this show
  • fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a shame about Steph. I thought the staging of Stephs pudding would have been a fantastic ending to the banquet. And we know the judges like a bit of theatre.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fern3 wrote: »
    What a shame about Steph. I thought the staging of Stephs pudding would have been a fantastic ending to the banquet. And we know the judges like a bit of theatre.

I was unimpressed by the drink pud.. and it would be difficult for her to beat the choco-sphere... although :yawn: non-melting sorbet :yawn:

Interesting... wondering what the producers think when the chefs submit what they are going to prepare if they see the same sorts of things turning up (unless there is no one producer who sees all... (erm.... 8 x 3 = ) 24 menus.

Discovered... IIRC for Professional MC the chefs have to submit - at the beginning of the competition - the menu for what they would cook for the food critics round... presumbly so no clashes... just saying... don't suppose this would have any bearing whatsoever on who gets put through :eek:

GBM old-timers : Watched an Indian cookery show yesterday and was pleased to see Elisha Carter in it... he lost out to Chris Horrible :mad: ...Hope he's doing well... Elisha :) not Horrid
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...I thought Colin's dessert was spectacular and very clever, though it did end up as a bit of a splodge. Agreed with Nigel's comments about using white chocolate in terms of flavour though that might be a bit harder to mold? Any Chocolatiers out there?

White choc isn't actually chocolate because it has a different make up (cocoa butter, solids, etc etc) so presumably it must handle differently.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,047
    Forum Member
    ........dunno, the the version I watched on Sky+ clearly showed him jumping off the top platform, with Nick the pro diver also standing there i.e. 10m? He was brave wearing those Speedos I say!

Poor, poor ,poor Steph! I really felt for her being so upset at the end. Unfortunately, though she did get the wrong end of the brief, her actual cooking was way below last year's standard in any case. I just wanted to give her a big cuddle.

I thought Colin's dessert was spectacular and very clever, though it did end up as a bit of a splodge. Agreed with Nigel's comments about using white chocolate in terms of flavour though that might be a bit harder to mold? Any Chocolatiers out there?

White chocolate doesn't have cocoa solids. When the solids of the cacao bean are removed from the fatty parts(cocoa butter) and ground down, the solids (also called chocolate liquor) are left out altogether and aren't blended back in. So white choc is just sugar, cocoa butter and milk. I think it's trickier to melt as well.
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So white choc is just sugar, cocoa butter and milk. I think it's trickier to melt as well.
    I don't think it's any tricker to melt it. In my experience it's trickier to temper it - it seems much less forgiving of not getting the temperature right at any of the stages and it can go 'grainey' because of the wrong crystals forming very easily. I don't know for certain, but I suspect this is because in dark chocolate the solids help to stabliise things.

However, given the pud seems to require you to melt the chocolate anyway I don't think the tempering going slightly wrong would really be an issue. It might be cosmetic issue - if you melt white chocolate into a custard (excuse me, creme anglais) it effectively disappears, whereas with dark chocolate you'll be left with swirls and ripples of colour which will look better (IMO).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...Hey Steph why did ya throw the dropped cheese away :confused: Surely you've heard of the 10 second rule ...

Ermmm I think I may have to change my mind on the 10-second rule... scroll down to the end of the article :p

Linky for you :eek:
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,047
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    I don't think it's any tricker to melt it. In my experience it's trickier to temper it - it seems much less forgiving of not getting the temperature right at any of the stages and it can go 'grainey' because of the wrong crystals forming very easily. I don't know for certain, but I suspect this is because in dark chocolate the solids help to stabliise things.

However, given the pud seems to require you to melt the chocolate anyway I don't think the tempering going slightly wrong would really be an issue. It might be cosmetic issue - if you melt white chocolate into a custard (excuse me, creme anglais) it effectively disappears, whereas with dark chocolate you'll be left with swirls and ripples of colour which will look better (IMO).

That's what I meant, sorry:o Yes apparently it can go grainy. I don't like white choc anyway so I don't use it, way too sweet for me. I much prefer dark choc and a higher cocoa solid milk choc like a 30 or 40%.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hoping someone can help, does anybody know the scores given for the Central regions chefs main and dessert dishes. I would also be grateful if anybody can tell me the name of Aktar's main & dessert dishes.

I have tried iplayer but these episodes are nolonger available. Cheers in advance if you can help.
  • nvellanvella Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    notnek01 wrote: »
    It's been a very poor quality week. I can't see the judges going crazy about any of the dishes in today's show.

I haven't been blown away by any of the food in this series. The cooking seems to have been lost in the gimmicks.
  • CookmeparsnipsCookmeparsnips Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

GBM old-timers : Watched an Indian cookery show yesterday and was pleased to see Elisha Carter in it... he lost out to Chris Horrible :mad: ...Hope he's doing well... Elisha :) not Horrid

Aw I remember Elisha, he was such a lovely smiley chap. Chris Horrid was so rude to him. Glad to hear you saw him!
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like Colin's decided to use white chocolate for the judges...
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think any of tonights dishes will end up at the banquet, in fact nothing we've seen this series has stood out as of yet.
  • vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mishcoll wrote: »
    I don't think any of tonights dishes will end up at the banquet, in fact nothing we've seen this series has stood out as of yet.
    I don't think they're helped by the fact nobody really seems to know what the theme means in terms of food.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    End of Thursdays... bugger me they've done it again... a judge sounding off and they show a readily identifiable dish.... :mad:

So today, the only dish they seemed to rave about was the fishy one covered in plastic !

I did wonder if that was the reason that menu was the one chosen for the week.

And they liked the meat in both mains. Atherton's beef board... wasn't that Dexter beef. Never had it... must hunt some out if they sell it to us lesser mortals :rolleyes: And I noticed that today we had pig cheeks rather than the jowls we had on Wednesday :rolleyes:

Think the white choc dessert lost the DA DA DAAAAA drama of melting... they didn't seem to like the contents.

It'll be interesting to see what gets changed for the final.

And did anyone else pick up on Prue asking the losing chef if he would like to try his hand again? So there may be a further series...

Next week...the Irish... love the returners (but no new blood :( )... and Corrigan is always a hoot... the way he rolls his eyes back when he tastes :D
  • TheAuburnEnigmaTheAuburnEnigma Posts: 17,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hoping someone can help, does anybody know the scores given for the Central regions chefs main and dessert dishes. I would also be grateful if anybody can tell me the name of Aktar's main & dessert dishes.

I have tried iplayer but these episodes are nolonger available. Cheers in advance if you can help.

As far as I can remember:

Daniel got a 10 for the main and an 8 for the dessert

Paul I think might have got two 9s

Aktar I think got something like a 6 and a 5

EDIT: ok it's up on wikipedia

Dan got a 10 for main and 8 for dessert
    Paul got two 8s
    Aktar got two 6s

The names of the dishes aren't up though I'm afraid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    worst week of GBM ever?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nathan87 wrote: »
    worst week of GBM ever?

Up with the lark there N :eek:

Nah my vote would go to the Scots :o With apologies to my Grandma's family roots north of the border... :o
    ...I would also be grateful if anybody can tell me the name of Aktar's main & dessert dishes...

Aktar's main I just have as 'lamb three ways' but I could watch it back sometime to see if he gave it a funkier name :o

Soz I don't have a name for his pud but it did feature 'an Olympic torch'... put in ' ' as it didn't work very well so IMO wasn't very torch-ey :p...

So the person who updated Wiki... are they someone in 'ere at all... Just that I could add some detail if you wouldn't be offended... *HB puts her OCD back in the cupboard* :D
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Steph, she really got hold of the wrong end of the stick with the brief this year - still love her though :(
    Wouldn't you have just loved to see Oliver Peyton putting on the nose clip and goggles? .. that and his comments about it would have made my week :)
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Colin seemed like a mini Gordon Ramsey with his posturing, it became quite irritating by the end.
  • prehensileprehensile Posts: 5,092
    Forum Member
    I haven't watched every series of this but I'd say that, overall, that was the worst week I've seen. Not a single dish had the 'wow factor' IMO.
  • troelshartmanntroelshartmann Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    prehensile wrote: »
    I haven't watched every series of this but I'd say that, overall, that was the worst week I've seen. Not a single dish had the 'wow factor' IMO.

Totally agree, very poor.

By the way, did it show Colin as being married in one of the earlier shows?

Have to say by some of his mannerisms throughout the week that I'm a little surprised....

Did anyone see his little dance???
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    6.30 start tonight
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey. Nobody commented on today's episode

Has interest in this series waned due to confusion what they're actually looking for (apart from "pushing the boundaries" that is)
  • Molly HuntMolly Hunt Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This week's has started off as a contender for worst week -overtaking last week's 'worst week'.

The dishes were all very strange and if it wasn't for the lovely Richard Corrigan I'd be giving up on it now!

Pig sweetbreads? shotgun cartridges? it's not pushing the boundaries, it's taking the p*ss.