Options

IE Blows Away Rivals in Browser Security

IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
Forum Member
✭✭✭
IE Blows Away Rivals in Browser Security meaning socially-engineered attacks.

"Windows Internet Explorer 9 (still in beta) caught an exceptional 99 percent of the live threats..."

Comments

• Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe one day, instead of people giving the advice "install Firebox" to every browser problem, people will begin to recognise that IE is actually quite good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IE used to be slow for all that security checking, but IE9 is pretty fast. So that should be one argument less against IE. Also detecting social engineered attacks is now more important than some automated sophisticated bypass of an OS security.
  • Options
    Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This should be compulsory reading for all IE knockers!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan F wrote: »
    knockers!

The small child in me is giggling right now.

On topic though, I've been using the IE9 beta for a while now and much prefer it to all the other browsers I've used. Glad to see the security is up to snuff as security exploits has always been a thorn in IE's side.
  • Options
    chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got the IE9 beta at home, however I've noticed one downside. It's not a major thing, but smething weird. (Maybe a VMWare problem come to think of it) We can connect to our school network from home, and it uses a VMWare plugin, however VMWare only works on Internet Explorer. It works fine on IE8, but it reckons IE9 isn't an IE browser. Maybe VMWare will include it in an update in the future.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Maybe one day, instead of people giving the advice "install Firebox" to every browser problem, people will begin to recognise that IE is actually quite good.

The thing is reputations take a long time to repair and also it's not been out long.

Remember how Vista was the most secure operating system etc it takes time for vulnerabilities to be found, security will be proven over time not overnight.
    "Windows Internet Explorer 9 (still in beta) caught an exceptional 99 percent of the live threats..."

All that proves it that nobody is writing code to exploit IE9, whether it remains robust security wise against a large install base and over time will be found out over the course of time.
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    IE9's new, hackers will find its vulnerabilities just like they have with IE8 (and most other browsers).

I do have a couple of little issues with IE9beta. Firstly it makes you remove IE8, which is stupid when it's still in beta. And no XP support is just daft when every other browser supports XP with no problems.
    Stig wrote: »
    I know what you mean. You see it on just about every forum when someone has an IE problem and it's not helpful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let me give you an analogy, company builds a new prison and says it's the most secure prison ever built and it's better than the Firefox or Google Chrome prison. It's been tested with a small amount of prisoners in trials.

How do you really prove the security? real security can only be proven over time once the bad guys have had the chance to find the vulnerable parts.

Come back in a year and then you might be able to make some security claims about IE9.
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Let me give you an analogy, company builds a new prison and says it's the most secure prison ever built and it's better than the Firefox or Google Chrome prison. It's been tested with a small amount of prisoners in trials.

How do you really prove the security? real security can only be proven over time once the bad guys have had the chance to find the vulnerable parts.

Come back in a year and then you might be able to make some security claims about IE9.

But a Google Chrome prisoner would find out that they 'accidently' took data from their unsecured waste from their bed pans :-p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IE9's new, hackers will find its vulnerabilities just like they have with IE8 (and most other browsers).

I do have a couple of little issues with IE9beta. Firstly it makes you remove IE8, which is stupid when it's still in beta. And no XP support is just daft when every other browser supports XP with no problems.

It's because of the way HTML5 features are implemented. And rather than port it back to XP they decided to use it as a push towards Windows 7.
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    It's because of the way HTML5 features are implemented. And rather than port it back to XP they decided to use it as a push towards Windows 7.

I thought they were using a display renderer that is only available in Vista+
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    I thought they were using a display renderer that is only available in Vista+

Direct2D? They use it for rendering regardless of HTML5, what I thought and did not formulate well that it was necessary to use something better for rendering to be able to implement HTML5.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Last night I was searching on Google Images. I clicked a image and found myself diverted to a fake antivirus page saying my system was infected and it began scanning.

Avira went crazy

I was using Chrome- now i'm thinking of going back to IE as this has happened more on Firefox and Chrome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    Last night I was searching on Google Images. I clicked a image and found myself diverted to a fake antivirus page saying my system was infected and it began scanning.

Avira went crazy

I was using Chrome- now i'm thinking of going back to IE as this has happened more on Firefox and Chrome.

It's not so much the browser you're using as the links you are clicking on. Did you take care which links you were clicking and what sites you were going to?

The best way not to be infected is to change your habits and be more cautious on the internet about certain links.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about a headline "IE abandons XP, Vista soon to follow".
  • Options
    TetrameshTetramesh Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently using eleven extensions with Firefox which come in very handy for one reason or another, if Internet Explorer can do exactly the same things as my extensions then I'll consider using it regularly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    It's not so much the browser you're using as the links you are clicking on. Did you take care which links you were clicking and what sites you were going to?

The best way not to be infected is to change your habits and be more cautious on the internet about certain links.

yeah, believe it or not it was a image search for a sat nav. I clicked the thumbnail and all hell broke loose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    yeah, believe it or not it was a image search for a sat nav. I clicked the thumbnail and all hell broke loose.

In that case I'll let you off:D
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    there's a statement from google about this:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/16/browser_security_tests/

These sponsored tests are limited in their sole focus on socially engineered malware, while excluding vulnerabilities in plug-ins or browsers themselves. Additionally, the testing methodology isn't available in a way that can be independently verified. Google Chrome was built with security in mind from the beginning and emphasizes protection of users from drive-by downloads and plug-in vulnerabilities — for example, we recently introduced a new security sandbox for Flash Player.

what they are saying is that it's focused on a very small aspect of security.

plus they tested IE 9 beta against chrome 6, the current version of chrome is chrome 8.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    there's a statement from google about this:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/16/browser_security_tests/

These sponsored tests are limited in their sole focus on socially engineered malware, while excluding vulnerabilities in plug-ins or browsers themselves. Additionally, the testing methodology isn't available in a way that can be independently verified. Google Chrome was built with security in mind from the beginning and emphasizes protection of users from drive-by downloads and plug-in vulnerabilities — for example, we recently introduced a new security sandbox for Flash Player.

what they are saying is that it's focused on a very small aspect of security.

plus they tested IE 9 beta against chrome 6, the current version of chrome is chrome 8.

hmm perhaps this is why the Trojan got onto my machine whilst using Chrome.

Chrome used to block DS when it had malware on adverts but I have kinda lost faith in the browser since last week.
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lost faith in IE after a series of damaging security breaches and have only rarely used it since. I don't much care for what they're doing now.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If firefox ever stayed on long enough without crashing or constantly updating its pointless ad-ons it might block them too!
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    If firefox ever stayed on long enough without crashing or constantly updating its pointless ad-ons it might block them too!

Firefox add-on are only installed by the user, so why do you have useless ones installed/enabled?
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Tetramesh wrote: »
    I'm currently using eleven extensions with Firefox which come in very handy for one reason or another, if Internet Explorer can do exactly the same things as my extensions then I'll consider using it regularly.
    This is the argument I have always used with every other browser. I would never trade a couple of milliseconds faster page loading for the sake of losing all the functionality that FF offers. None have ever come close on that front.
  • Options
    LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the end some level of intelligence will win out, my Virus scanner isn't live and I rarely scan - yet I have no suspicious files on my computer. I go to some pretty bad websites as well :)