Amazon Instant Video usa.....can we watch it ?

whiteswanwhiteswan Posts: 842
Forum Member
✭✭
Is there a way to watch Amazon Prime Instant Video USA like we can with Netflix ?

I have overplay and to be honest its brilliant when watching diff netflix regions......

I have a roku streaming stick (the new one) on its way from the states and would like to have netflix and amazon and a slingplayer option all on one box-stick.

Any ideas ?

Dave

Comments

• Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whiteswan wrote: »
    Is there a way to watch Amazon Prime Instant Video USA like we can with Netflix ?

I have overplay and to be honest its brilliant when watching diff netflix regions......

I have a roku streaming stick (the new one) on its way from the states and would like to have netflix and amazon and a slingplayer option all on one box-stick.

Any ideas ?

Dave
    I don't think you can because it won't accept a UK login.
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can be done, but there is a certain way to set it up, I'm sure Overplay can give the details on what you need to do.
    It's not as simple as watching US Netflix.

TBH I think Netflix is far better, there are aren't many different titles on Amazon that you can't get on the different regions of Netflix.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It can be done but you'll need a Entro virtual credit card https://www.entropay.com/
  • ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon Prime (US) is supported by OverPlay, but you need to subscribe to that separately to the UK one.

So, unlike Netflix, you can't just subscribe once, and switch libraries.

You will also need to download separate Apps on your mobile devices or set-top-boxes, which look exactly the same as the UK one, but each one works from the separate account (so it can get a tad confusing at times, which is the UK Amazon, and which is the US one)

Via the web, it is easier to dedicate a different browser to the US Amazon, in case you use the UK one for normal stuff and with the same email address (login).

Otherwise it all works. I have accounts with all three Amazon services, UK, US and DE, and I can watch all three videos, but to be honest, there is very little on the US Amazon that I don't find on the UK one, and I tend to find more stuff on the UK Amazon than the US version to watch.
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the unblock-us DNS set in my smart tv settings so i get the regional netflix through the tv and uk only netflix through my Tivo box.

When i use the smart tv for Amazon instant it doesn't come up with an error, does this mean that it re-routes back to the Uk because my login details are tied to a UK address?

This seems the most likely explanation as i'd get a 'not available in your region' or something?
  • ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnathome wrote: »
    I have the unblock-us DNS set in my smart tv settings so i get the regional netflix through the tv and uk only netflix through my Tivo box.

When i use the smart tv for Amazon instant it doesn't come up with an error, does this mean that it re-routes back to the Uk because my login details are tied to a UK address?

This seems the most likely explanation as i'd get a 'not available in your region' or something?

Where are you located and what hub is your smart TV set to? (UK, US etc)

It sounds like you are in the UK with a UK hub on your smart TV. This should mean the only app you have for Amazon there, would be the UK app. You could enter a US account in there, and it just wouldn't work even with unblock-us as the app is the UK one and only queries the UK server when you log in.

So it all sounds sort of logical.

If you had a device which had the US version of Amazon, e.g. an iPad, Android, PS4, Xbox One, or a TV set with the smart Hub set to the US store, then, if you also had a US account with Prime (separate fees to be paid), then with a good Smart DNS service, you should have Amazon US working.