Netflix and Smart DNS,

whiteswanwhiteswan Posts: 842
Forum Member
✭✭
Been using overplays smart dns service for a while now with no problems.

But recently - every now and then I would have to refresh a few times to get access to Netflix.

But today it looks like its fallen over completely.

If I remove overplays dns settings from my asus router - it connects to Netflix fine - put them back in - and it will not load at all (netflix.com) - other sites are fine - even hulu etc - so I am wondering if netflix stamping down on smart dns services.

Dave

Comments

• gothergother Posts: 14,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably just a glitch give it a couple of days something similar happened to me Friday with unotelly and fios verizon, they fixed it within 48 hours.
    Just to be safe send overplay a ticket get them to look into it.
  • ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What platform are you having issues with, and which region.

Try also rebooting the device.

It could be an issue with a specific region or platform or both, and if it persists, contact OverPlay support and let them know. Also, if you know whether your ISP has you on a IPv4 or IPv6 service, let them know this. There may be an issue related to that from some ISPs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I've also had similar problems with my DNS service from Overplay. Netflix USA has not been working for 3 weeks on the PC and has only started working again on the Apple TV but very patchy. It seems to be just the USA version since the Canadian version has no problems on all devices. Overplay have tried their best and their communication over Twitter has been excellent. They even gave me an extra month free but unfortunately I still don't have access to the USA version on my PC which is what I use most of the time so looks like I'll be trying another service soon which is a pity since I have been with them for a long while now :-(
  • whiteswanwhiteswan Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Overplay seems to be down again - does this happen with Unblock us etc - can anybody recommend a good replacement.

Dave
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whiteswan wrote: »
    Overplay seems to be down again - does this happen with Unblock us etc - can anybody recommend a good replacement.

Dave

Overplay is the worst one i ever used i settled for unotelly very rarely have any issues with them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

Ok - please bare with me as I am not an expert on these matters........

I went to unotelly - clicked on the map of usa they have and various dns settings are shown.

I entered 2 of them into my router and voila - it works !!

But I haven't signed up or paid anything to anybody.

I will pay the small amount they are asking because it seems to work very well - I have tried it the past couple of days.

Dave
  • Placebo_PRSPlacebo_PRS Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Personally I use unlocator and am very happy with them :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

I went to unotelly - clicked on the map of usa they have and various dns settings are shown.

I will pay the small amount they are asking because it seems to work very well - I have tried it the past couple of days.

Dave

It'll work without payment details as you get a free 8 day trial :) i find unotelly to support the most services and devices too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    It'll work without payment details as you get a free 8 day trial :) i find unotelly to support the most services and devices too.

Okay that makes sense.......

But don't you have to register on their site with your details first ?

I did nothing apart from go to their site - click on the map of the world and copied the dns settings that showed up.

I guess I'll know next Wednesday ! ;-);-)

Dave
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay that makes sense.......

But don't you have to register on their site with your details first ?

I did nothing apart from go to their site - click on the map of the world and copied the dns settings that showed up.

I guess I'll know next Wednesday ! ;-);-)

Dave

For me it was just a case of creating a email and password for my trial but that was 2 years ago lol been with them ever since so they may of done it now where you get the trial without the need of info as they have your ip which will tell them if you've had a trial or not i imagine lol.
    Also you can get a month free upto 3 times by liking and sharing their fb page and emailing them screenshots proving you did it.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

Dave

I'm trying UnoTelly now. They seem really good. I tried Unblock US, but although the USA and Canada versions of Netflix worked reliably I was getting error messages a lot of the time on other regions.

UnoTelly seems very reliable (all regions) so far. If it carries on this way I'll sign up at the end of the trial.