Vote for your Favourite Madonna Album

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    I've listened to Rebel Heart none stop since it was released and now I've had chance to listen to all of the tracks countless times, the album has really grown on me and it is definitely her best album since Confessions, (But could have been better if certain demos made it on to the final album) Here's my ranking of all 13 albums, 1 being my favourite and 13 being my least favourite:

1. Confessions On A DanceFloor
    2. Ray Of Light
    3. Rebel Heart
    4. Music
    5. American Life
    6. True Blue
    7. Like A Prayer
    8. Hard Candy
    9. Like A Virgin
    10. MDNA
    11. Erotica
    12. Madonna
    13. Bedtime Stories
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    COAD beat all her other albums?

I'm very surprised by that as I would have thought LAP or ROL would have been top.

I'd rank them as:

Ray Of Light
    True Blue
    Like A Prayer
    Erotica
    Like A Virgin
    Madonna
    Music
    Bedtime Stories
    Hard Candy
    American Life
    MDNA
    Rebel Heart
    COAD
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confessions/ROL and LAP are her most consistent. Confessions is my favourite and I wish shed do another like it.
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    Confessions/ROL and LAP are her most consistent. Confessions is my favourite and I wish shed do another like it.

COAD is ok but i've never been a big fan so I don't want another one!

I do like Forbidden Love, Jump and Push though!

If she did another of any of her albums it should be ROL without a doubt!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Confessions was such an amazing album, it was also the era in which I discovered Madonna and started to listen to her music. This was mainly due to the fact that I heard the radio station play the song "Sorry" at work one day and I thought it was such an epic tune, and Sorry still remains my favourite Madonna song of all time :)
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm very surprised by that as I would have thought LAP or ROL would have been top.

I'd rank them as:

Ray Of Light
    True Blue
    Like A Prayer
    Erotica
    Like A Virgin
    Madonna
    Music
    Bedtime Stories
    Hard Candy
    American Life
    MDNA
    Rebel Heart
    COAD

Maybe it's an age thing...the older the person probably prefers LAP & ROL, a younger person may prefer COAD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    COAD is ok but i've never been a big fan so I don't want another one!

I do like Forbidden Love, Jump and Push though!

If she did another of any of her albums it should be ROL without a doubt!

It feels like a proper body of work. I love Jump and Get Together and I Love New York, Push, all of it. It feels inspired. I would love a proper disco album from her again, maybe with Goldfrapp or Nile Rodgers.
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Maybe it's an age thing...the older the person probably prefers LAP & ROL, a younger person may prefer COAD.

Possibly, I am 45!
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    It feels like a proper body of work. I love Jump and Get Together and I Love New York, Push, all of it. It feels inspired. I would love a proper disco album from her again, maybe with Goldfrapp or Nile Rodgers.

Nile Rodgers, Pat Leonard, Steve Bray and Shep Pettibone like in the good old days!
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly, I am 45!

I'm only slightly younger,but the LAP era was good for Madonna, especially if you where around at the time....not only the album, but the Blonde Ambition Tour, followed up by the Truth or Dare documentary...and all well/critically received.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great Albums...

Ray of Light
    Like a Prayer.

Decent....

Music
    True Blue
    Confessions.

Listenable....

Madonna
    Erotica
    American Life.

Crap....

Bedtime
    Rebel Heart
    MDNA
    Virgin

Utterly Dire....

Hard Candy.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys, this is the last update until next week, and I wanted to update as the votes are getting more interesting!

In 9th place with still no votes, poor old MDNA. You gotta feel sorry for it, there are some great tracks on it!

In 8th place with 1 vote is Madonna - a non mover from yesterday. This is also the position of Hard Candy. 1 vote.

In 7th place, after sharing last place with MDNA yesterday it's Like a Virgin. (Up 2 places with 2 votes.)

In 6th place, the situation is the same as yesterday: True Blue and Rebel Heart have 3 votes each. (True Blue is, in my opinion, far superior to Rebel Heart!)

In 5th place is Music with 4 votes. (Down one place)

In 4th place the surprising amount of love for Bedtime Stories continues with 5 votes. (non-mover)

In joint 3rd is a three way battle between Erotica, Ray of Light and American Life, all getting 7 votes each.

In 2nd place the contest continues between yesterday's top 2 and Like A Prayer again takes the number 2 slot with 12 votes.

And, at number 1 for the third day running is Confessions on a Dance Floor with just one more vote than Like A Prayer. (13).

So, well done to Confessions! It ends the week as Madonna's most popular album according to DS posters. What is interesting, is away from fandom, the albums hardcore fans don't like much seem to be the ones that casual listeners enjoy. Who'd have thought Bedtime Stories would be rated higher than Music? It's really interesting isn't it?

(Poll update 7.30pm 9th April)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd rank them as:

Ray Of Light
    True Blue
    Like A Prayer
    Erotica
    Like A Virgin
    Madonna
    Music
    Bedtime Stories
    Hard Candy
    American Life
    MDNA
    Rebel Heart
    COAD

Yes, it really is interesting that Confessions is, at present, her most popular album on here. I guess as fans, we see things as fans, such as her personal lyrics, her compositions, her melodies and we analyse them and have preferences towards her work and are also critical towards her work we don't like. I think what we forget sometimes is that Madonna does attract many listeners who are not necessarily fans but enjoy her music, and Confessions is arguably her last big album that audiences had familiarity over the songs with. I think that's why it is doing well. It is an album that can appeal to every pop fan and as 0.0 said above it really does feel like a well crafted piece of work and flows cohesively, it is actually perfection in regards to a great pop album, and it sold by the bucketloads too!

Like a Prayer is another enigma though. For an album that is 26 years old to still be regarded so highly is phenomenal and I wouldn't mind betting that it does eventually overtake Confessions by the end of this fun poll.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My top 13:

1. Confessions
    2. ROL
    3. True Blue
    4. Bedtime Stories
    5. LAP
    6. MDNA
    7. Rebel Heart
    8. Like a Virgin
    9. American Life
    10. Hard Candy
    11. Madonna
    12. Erotica
    13. Music
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Hi guys, this is the last update until next week, and I wanted to update as the votes are getting more interesting!

In 9th place with still no votes, poor old MDNA. You gotta feel sorry for it, there are some great tracks on it!

In 8th place with 1 vote is Madonna - a non mover from yesterday. This is also the position of Hard Candy. 1 vote.

In 7th place, after sharing last place with MDNA yesterday it's Like a Virgin. (Up 2 places with 2 votes.)

In 6th place, the situation is the same as yesterday: True Blue and Rebel Heart have 3 votes each. (True Blue is, in my opinion, far superior to Rebel Heart!)

In 4th place the surprising amount of love for Bedtime Stories continues with 5 votes. (non-mover)

In joint 3rd is a three way battle between Erotica, Ray of Light and American Life, all getting 7 votes each.

In 2nd place the contest continues between yesterday's top 2 and Like A Prayer again takes the number 2 slot with 12 votes.

And, at number 1 for the third day running is Confessions on a Dance Floor with just one more vote than Like A Prayer. (13).

So, well done to Confessions! It ends the week as Madonna's most popular album according to DS posters. What is interesting, is away from fandom, the albums hardcore fans don't like much seem to be the ones that casual listeners enjoy. Who'd have thought Bedtime Stories would be rated higher than Music? It's really interesting isn't it?

Just a slight correction: MDNA is actually down 1. Like a Virgin is up 2 and Hard Candy and Madonna are also down 1.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voted Ray of Light because it's the only one I own.

Bought it for the title track.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voted Ray of Light because it's the only one I own.

Bought it for the title track.

Ray of Light (the song) is my favourite Madonna song! It is absolutely stunning from start to finish and her vocals are awesome. With your vote it has already changed the running order and we now have a definitive top three (for now):

3: Ray of Light
    2: Like A Prayer
    1: Confessions on a Dance Floor

These three are often lauded as the best in Madonna's career. That could be true by looking at the current results! Next update on Monday after the weekend. I am really hoping MDNA gets at least 1 vote! Bless it!
  • Kirsty_Jones90Kirsty_Jones90 Posts: 1,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is my list

1. Ray of light
    2.Erotica
    3.Music
    4.Confessions on a dancefloor
    5. Madonna
    6. Like a prayer
    7. Hard candy
    8.American Life
    9. True blue
    10.Like a virgin
    11. Bedtime stories
    12.Rebel heart
    13.MDNA
  • Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like a Prayer isn't just the best Madonna album its one of the five greatest albums ever by a female artist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick G wrote: »
    Like a Prayer isn't just the best Madonna album its one of the five greatest albums ever by a female artist.

Yes, it really is a masterpiece in the fact that it is a rarity in how powerful it is from start to finish. When you get a situation that the weakest song on any album is a duet with Prince, that tells you just how damn good it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big development in the Confessions scenario; it has extended its lead over Like A Prayer by 3 votes! And Ray of Light is now a strong third leaving American Life and Erotica up to 3 votes behind!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wanted to do a poll update this morning, because going into the weekend, it has got a bit more interesting. There will still be an update on Monday after the weekend, but here is how things have changed since Thursday:

At number 11 - down 2 places- and still with no votes, is MDNA. (There really is no love for this album, despite I'm a Sinner, Love Spent, Masterpiece, I'm Addicted and Falling Free being on it.)

At number 10 - also down 2 places - is Madonna with 1 vote.

In 9th place - it's down 2 for Like a Virgin with 2 votes and down 1 for Hard Candy with 2 votes as well. (Although Hard Candy has gained a vote).

In 8th place it's down 2 for True Blue - still on 3 votes.

In 7th place it's down 2 for Music and down 1 for Rebel Heart both on 4 votes. (Although, like Hard Candy, Rebel Heart has gained a vote).

In 6th place it's down 2 for Bedtime Stories, still on 5 votes.

Now comes to a definitive top five:

In 5th place, it's down 2 for Erotica, with 7 votes.

In 4th place, down 1 is American Life but now with 8 votes.

In 3rd place - a non mover - is Ray of Light with 12 votes.

In 2nd place - a non mover - is Like a Prayer with 14 votes.

At number one - a steady performer - is Confessions on a Dance Floor with 17 votes.

A solid top five and arguably the right albums make up the five most popular.

(Poll update: 7.45am 11th April)
    (Next update 13th April).
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I haven't heard Rebel Heart yet, since I've commanded OH for the fullest available version of it to be my birthday present (or else) later this month. So, subsequent to my earlier tirade against the lack of recognition for I'm Breathless, I'm going to rank my '13' including it :)

1) The First Album - the one and only Madonna album I NEVER feel inclined to skip a track on. It may not be as polished, it may be rudimentary compared to later work - but it is in a nutshell the most perfect record (in both senses of the word) of the dance-revolution era that Madonna sprung from.

2) I'm Breathless - intentionally camp perfection masterpiece from beginning to end. I just adore it fabulously, still after 25 years.

3) MDNA - Most Disliked? Not Ay!! I did wonder whether I would wear off this, but over 3 years later I still haven't. Does have to be the deluxe edition though, as a couple of those extra tracks truly nail it for me.

4) Like A Prayer - Pips True Blue to this spot only because it has more songs, and they're all at the very least bloody good.

5) True Blue - strongest first six songs of a Madonna album ever, and a strong contender for that accolade in general. I can live with La Isla Bonita despite it essentially being soppy yuk, and even the last two 'unmentionable' tracks have grown on my endurance levy over the years.

6) Ray Of Light - midway-ish point and appropriately enough, the surprise she popped out (after Lourdes) midway-ish now in her music career. I do skip those last few dubby/electronica dirges though.

7) Hard Candy - despite the vomit-inducing cover, the album surprisingly holds up well now the dust has well and truly, Pompeii-anly settled. Still though, it's another case of listen to the first six or seven and then eject thinking 'maybe next time I'll see it through'.

8) Like A Virgin - discounting opportunistic Into The Groove inclusion and repackaging - aside from Dress You Up, which for me is a towering pinnacle of Madge's entire career, I've actually grown over the years to appreciate those notoriously bête noire 'last three' tracks more than the singles.

9) Confessions - can't be bothered to type the whole thing, and I can rarely be bothered to listen to the whole album - but when I do, I'm reminded it's at the very least good and is occasionally peppered with genuine genius.

10) Erotica - It's 'good' but so of its time, IMHO. I can never make it through to the end.

11) American Life - Music Part 2. But it's more musical than Music, if that makes sense.

12) Music - Good singles, and of course to say the most understated least an Impressive Instant. But for me it's kind of 'what else is there?', even now. Oh, but then... Nobody's Perfect! :)

13) Bedtime Stories - singles and the majestic Sanctuary aside, so aptly named as perfect for zzzzzzzz.... Don't Stop? No, please do!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In true election tradition, and for fun, this is the first campaign to try and attract votes for the underdogs!

MDNA

Regarded by many as Madonna's worst album, and currently the poll suggests that this trend continues. But is it really worse than Hard Candy? The album contains a mish-mash of tracks from a relatively weak opener to the terrifying Gang Bang and flows nicely into the dance-a-thon- triumph of I'm Addicted. Skipping Give Me All Your Lovin' the album picks up big time after Superstar and the five last tracks are some of her strongest for years. I'm a Sinner, Love Spent, Masterpiece and Falling Free are such a strong quartet of songs to close an album, they're worth a vote all on their own!

So, vote for MDNA! I'm Addicted to it and will always Turn Up the Radio whenever I hear it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In true election tradition, and for fun, this is the first campaign to try and attract votes for the underdogs!

MDNA

Regarded by many as Madonna's worst album, and currently the poll suggests that this trend continues. But is it really worse than Hard Candy? The album contains a mish-mash of tracks from a relatively weak opener to the terrifying Gang Bang and flows nicely into the dance-a-thon- triumph of I'm Addicted. Skipping Give Me All Your Lovin' the album picks up big time after Superstar and the five last tracks are some of her strongest for years. I'm a Sinner, Love Spent, Masterpiece and Falling Free are such a strong quartet of songs to close an album, they're worth a vote all on their own!

So, vote for MDNA! I'm Addicted to it and will always Turn Up the Radio whenever I hear it!

I don't give a ****! ;)

Actually I prefer it to HC and RH.