Voip setup

Hi all
I have been running a voip service into my home setup for a while now. I have had sipgate with no problems.

Now looking to set up some voip numbers for a mate who currently has 3 BT phone numbers set up in adjacent telephone areas that are on divert to his mobile.
It is the usual "ring your local plumber on this number" advert. As he pays line rental for 3 lines I know I can do it alot cheaper.

He won't be needing to make outgoing calls on these at all.

My question is do I really need an ATA plugged into his broadband just to call forward the calls to his mobile (just thinking of keeping the cost down) or is there another way of doing it. If I dont have to use sipgate I would always consider another company.

Thanks

Comments

• BT SupportBT Support Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Hello speckledhen,

I have just sent you a PM about your friends account.

Fionnuala
  • Fred SmithFred Smith Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all
    I have been running a voip service into my home setup for a while now. I have had sipgate with no problems.

Now looking to set up some voip numbers for a mate who currently has 3 BT phone numbers set up in adjacent telephone areas that are on divert to his mobile.
    It is the usual "ring your local plumber on this number" advert. As he pays line rental for 3 lines I know I can do it alot cheaper.

He won't be needing to make outgoing calls on these at all.

My question is do I really need an ATA plugged into his broadband just to call forward the calls to his mobile (just thinking of keeping the cost down) or is there another way of doing it. If I dont have to use sipgate I would always consider another company.

Thanks

I'm surprised you say you have Sipgate but are asking these questions.

Anyway, you don't need an ATA. You can use a soft phone, which you can download from from 'your' Sipgate download pages.

You can set diverts using 'your' Sipgate Settings page and the diverted calls will be charged at the appropriate rate to the receiving phone i.e. landline or mobile.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fred Smith wrote: »
    I'm surprised you say you have Sipgate but are asking these questions.

I asked the question because strange that it seems I did not know the answer, I will download the softphone to my mates PC and divert all the voip lines to his mobile
  • mpk81mpk81 Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't even need a softphone, you can just get it to divert to whatever number you want using the web interface.

Click on "Settings" then "Call forwarding"
    You can then change the default forwarding from voicemail to whatever number you want.

When I transferred my BT number over to Sipgate there was a £20 fee. They don't make that very clear on their web site.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mpk81 wrote: »
    You don't even need a softphone, you can just get it to divert to whatever number you want using the web interface.

Click on "Settings" then "Call forwarding"

When I transferred my BT number over to Sipgate there was a £20 fee. They don't make that very clear on their web site.

Great thanks for that, I did try that on the sipgate number I have and it worked ok, I just was unsure if i needed the ATA. I will do as you suggest.

Do you know if I can have registered more than one number onto my sipgate account. I cannot find anywhere within my account settings how to obtain further numbers
  • mpk81mpk81 Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know, I don't think it can be done via the web site.

I actually have two numbers on my account as I have the initial number I got from Sipgate when I set up the account plus the number I ported from BT.
  • Katia PolletinKatia Polletin Posts: 4,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great thanks for that, I did try that on the sipgate number I have and it worked ok, I just was unsure if i needed the ATA. I will do as you suggest.

Do you know if I can have registered more than one number onto my sipgate account. I cannot find anywhere within my account settings how to obtain further numbers

You can only have one number per account.

You just simply sign up again with a different email address.