Effect of capacitor on line stats

HI,

A bit of an odd one here so I hope you'll bear with me.

First off I live in France but I'm sure the technology works in much the same way albeit via Alcatel DSLAMS and I'm trying to find out if something I suspect could be correct: I'll explain.

When I got connected here just under 3 years ago my line statistics said 4838m and 49dB attenuation and I was offered a 2mb package which is what I got, solidly and reliably. I use Flashget as a DL manager so I can see exactly what speed things are happening at. My router reports sync at variously anything between 4500k and to 6500k and my SNR is typically in the mid 20's.

I didn't actually believe the 4838m BTW, I reckon it's about 3700m but that's another story, but everything was cosy and I was happy enough, well as happy as one can be with only 2mb that is :(

Recently my ISP changed their own backhaul supplier which necessitated a router firmware upgrade after which the service went to sh1t, or merd if you'll excuse my French :D

It wasn't so much the speed but the reliability, i.e. rebooting several times a day, manual or spontaneous, and also the VoIP service was unusable.

I put up with it for a while but eventually decided a change of ISP was my only way forward so looked up on one of our checker sites here www.degrouptest.com - to decide who to go with but was very surprised to see that my line stats now said 4936m and 60dB attenuation, (thats +98m and 11dB !) and consequently no ISP was offering more than 512kb. Now I'm between a rock and a hard place, stick with my current ISP for a flaky 2mb or jump ship for a guaranteed 512kb. :eek:

All this time I stress that up to the instant of the 'upgrade' my actual performance had not changed at all so there is no doubt whatsoever that this, and/or whatever alternative arrangements my ISP had made, were directly responsible for the problems. I've had new routers, I even tried my old BT Voyager which I had hacked to work in France but all to no avail.

Anyway, eventually, after maybe 2 months of this, one of the ISP tecs, a new guy because by this time I knew them all by first name, not familiar with my case or file, looked at my line stats, thought to himself ' I see what the problem is, this customer is on a 2mb package but with a line that won't support it, I'll tell France Telecom to downgrade him to 512kb' so suddenly one day I wake up to 1/4 of my speed and yes, you've guessed it, the other problems are all still there.

This is where it turns Kafkaesque because I protest, he asks FT to upgrade me again, they come back with sorry NON, that line will not not support it!

Mad was I or what :mad:

Having lost my 2mb the decision to change ISP was now a no brainer and on the basis that if I was going to stand any chance whatsoever of getting my line starts corrected and my 2mb back I would have to go to FT. Interestingly they were able to give me 1mb whereas all other ISP's as I said offered only 512k, make of that what you will.

Nearly finished - Oi wake up at the back !

The puzzle in all this is why my line stats changed (as I say I think the 4838m was wrong to begin with) and it suddenly occurred to me the other day that before we even bought the house I'd checked what the BB availability was and when we moved in there was a capacitor in the box which I removed and I'm wondering if this could be what has caused it. How are these figures arrived at. I am 99.99% certain that 98m has not been added to my line and the fact that my attenuation has not varied supports that, and besides, it's a mere 2% of the existing length so should really make no discernible difference anyway.

Final point: I live in a hamlet of about 8 houses and we are all fed off the same pole fed in turn by a fairly recently intalled, buried, multicore cable.

According to the checking site my nearest neighbours line isan impossible 6160m with 72db attenuation with which he should be struggling for anything above about 400k or so yet he gets a flat line 512k and his actual attenuation is 53db so it appears that there is a generic error somewhere affecting us all.

Basically then, to recap the actual question, is it possible that the simple removal of the capacitor could be responsible for the 'virtual' change in my line stats.

Thanks for persevering to the end ;)