Options

USA DECT Phone in UK

Hi.

I am off to the US in a a couple of weeks and I fancy bagging myself one of their swanky DEC phones, the Vtech LS6245.

What would I need to do to make it work here in the uk ?

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have an existing DECT phone you can pair the USA phone with?

That is the only way you can connect a US phone to the UK network. You cannot connect it directly to the phone line. Apart from the fact that the connectors are different a US phone is unlikely to have the necessary approvals allowing it to connect. And it might not even work anyway. The line voltages and ringing styles are different so a US phone may simply fail to work.

And of course unless the base unit has a universal power supply it will go bang when you plug it into the mains. US is 110v UK is 230. So you will need a step down voltage transformer possibly not just a plug adapter.

Basically I wouldn't bother. Far too much hassle.
  • Options
    Katia PolletinKatia Polletin Posts: 4,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could end up with lots of echo on the calls too due to different line Impedance.

USA DECT only has 5 channels compared to 10 in Europe and are on different frequency, so no pairing different handsets.

Not worth bothering.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UK dect phones are not legal in the US as they use part of the dect band not authorised in the US. I don't know if the reverse is true...

However you should be aware that the US also have tighter limits on the power, so the performace may suffer slightly too depending on location, type of building etc etc.
  • Options
    TernTern Posts: 2,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tetstb wrote: »
    I am off to the US in a a couple of weeks and I fancy bagging myself one of their swanky DEC phones, the Vtech LS6245.

:confused: These are available in the UK. Just Google them.