Options

About time for a new HDD.

2»

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you trying this webpage or something else?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-GB/download/details.aspx?id=17851
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the page.

I click download, refuse the offer of the extra programs, then it goes to the page that says "Thank you for downloading", but nothing happens. :(
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the download confirmation page there is a text link to the file, where it says something to the effect of "if download does not start automatically click here". Have you tried clicking that link?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. Tried it.

Still nothing. :mad:
  • Options
    cp2cp2 Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pragmatic comment...
    If you are intending to replace the drive anyway spending time to download Seatools may be a distraction, though it is a useful tool.
    I used the link kindly provided by chrisjr, clicked download and then the no thanks but continue button.
    Next I got a white box at the base of the screen asking me when I wanted to run, save or cancel. This is the standard IE confirmation box. I clicked save and download proceeded.
    Did you get this box?
    (Mind you maybe you don't use IE or if you did maybe try a different browser)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cp2 wrote: »
    If you are intending to replace the drive anyway spending time to download Seatools may be a distraction, though it is a useful tool.

I'm simply following the advice I was given.

Prior to that, I'd never even heard of Seatools.
    cp2 wrote: »
    (Mind you maybe you don't use IE or if you did maybe try a different browser)

Actually, I'm on Chrome, although I do have IE as well, so I'll try that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just run the Short Generic test on Seatools, and it's PASSED :confused:
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    I've just run the Short Generic test on Seatools, and it's PASSED :confused:

Hardware diagnostics aren't always 100% reliable. Even running multiple long tests on a dodgy drive won't guarantee a failure result.
  • Options
    cp2cp2 Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    Hardware diagnostics aren't always 100% reliable. Even running multiple long tests on a dodgy drive won't guarantee a failure result.

I'd have to agree that you can get a false positive on such tests. Having said that I would never totally trust a drive that failed Seatools, and I certainly wouldn't have it as my boot disc.

Unfortunately, the test result hasn't really contributed too much to helping you to decide whether the disc in on the way out.
    Sorry about that.