Options

Christmas adverts

13»

Comments

• Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regarding the use of the word "holidays" in the Coca Cola advert, it never occurred to me that it was an Americanism. For all these years, I'd been thinking that it was referring to children getting two weeks off school at Christmas!
  • Options
    fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing that annoys me more than the Christmas adverts is the sales. They used to be called the "January sales" because that's when they started - 2nd January.

I've never worked in retail, but I feel sorry for those that do. Having to stay 'til all hours on Christmas Eve to get the shop ready, Christmas Day off then back again at the crack of a sparrow's fart on Boxing Day to start all over again. It's like Scrooge and Bob Cratchit. Would it really hurt people not to go shopping on a Boxing Day and let the poor sods have an extra day off? Sure, I know they probably get paid more for it as it's a recognised holiday, but FFS, it's Boxing Day!

I absolutely agree... We used to have a lovely relaxing couple of days but now the members of my family who work in retail have to work late on Christmas Eve, have a stressful Christmas day because they can't really relax and be back again to face it all the next day...... My daughter used to work in a clothes shop and hated it as she was not allowed to exchange anything until the 28th or 29th not even if someone just wanted a different size in the same garment and often got it in the neck.... It still amazes why people want to go shopping on Boxing Day, why have we become such a greedy nation?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Agree 1000% My stepdad finishes at 4.30 on Christmas Eve. They allow him to finish at 4 as long as he makes the time back (!) then he is back in on Boxing day. Absolute joke. Close everything Christmas Day and Boxing day. If families cant find other things to do than shopping on boxing day then it really is a sorry state of affairs
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    I saw the john lewis (the bear and the hare) one on saturday. I'm not normally soppy but I'm a huge animal lover and we used to have a house rabbit (he sadly died 3 years ago aged 7). It reminded me of watership down, which I cannot watch (scarred from childhood by that) and had bright eyes come on, I probably would have cried. It also makes me think about our rabbit (not a hare I know) and my final ever journey with him to the vets (as my wife couldn't bring herself to come along) and that also makes me terribly sad.

However, the 'message' is a little strange to me. at least with the M&S ad you get sight of actual christmas products. with JL its really just an alarm clock

makes me think of watership down too :cry::cry::cry:
  • Options
    Calamity-joCalamity-jo Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fizzler333 wrote: »
    I absolutely agree... We used to have a lovely relaxing couple of days but now the members of my family who work in retail have to work late on Christmas Eve, have a stressful Christmas day because they can't really relax and be back again to face it all the next day...... My daughter used to work in a clothes shop and hated it as she was not allowed to exchange anything until the 28th or 29th not even if someone just wanted a different size in the same garment and often got it in the neck.... It still amazes why people want to go shopping on Boxing Day, why have we become such a greedy nation?

Blimey, don't get me started about greed! Another one of my bugbears is the siege mentality of some people in supermarkets at Christmas. You see couples with a trolley each and they're both piled high with food. Even if they were feeding 20 people they'd never get through that much! :eek: The shops are only closed for one day. You are not going to starve! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey, don't get me started about greed! Another one of my bugbears is the siege mentality of some people in supermarkets at Christmas. You see couples with a trolley each and they're both piled high with food. Even if they were feeding 20 people they'd never get through that much! :eek: The shops are only closed for one day. You are not going to starve! :rolleyes:
    God knows how much of that is wasted, I detest waste and only get what we need and plan all the meals as I won't go near the shops for at least 4 days over Christmas.
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only Christmas ad I actually don't mind (aside from the legendary Irn Bru one, though haven't seen that one this year yet) is the Carphone Warehouse one. The one with the sing-songy dooby-doo voiceover and all the cheap Christmas wreaths :D
  • Options
    Calamity-joCalamity-jo Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    The only Christmas ad I actually don't mind (aside from the legendary Irn Bru one, though haven't seen that one this year yet) is the Carphone Warehouse one. The one with the sing-songy dooby-doo voiceover and all the cheap Christmas wreaths :D

I'm actually considering a bog seat festooned with fairy lights for my front door. Just for the fun of it! :D
  • Options
    yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aldi's ads are the best.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone see the full length Sainsbury one? Dull, dull, dull.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    fizzler333 wrote: »
    I absolutely agree... We used to have a lovely relaxing couple of days but now the members of my family who work in retail have to work late on Christmas Eve, have a stressful Christmas day because they can't really relax and be back again to face it all the next day...

I used to work at Sainsburys and all the decorations have to come down the day they open after Christmas as if the past three months of hard selling never existed.

Not Christmas I know but we were in Norway on their national day - 17th May - and all the big shops and malls were closed for FOUR days,only petrol stations and restaurants were open and supermarkets only sold essentials - milk and bread etc- the rest of the store is roped off. No one starved, no one complained or broke down because they couldn't buy a cheap sofa , they spent the time with their families because that is what is important.

As to Christmas ads - I like the John Lewis one (it made me cry!) ,but there does seem to be a lot more of them this year .
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    I like the Argos alien one.

Shaved beard Santa! :eek:

Me too. Yep, I agree- too much and too early but give me the light-hearted and silly ones any day. I don't want my heart strings pulled by some company aiming to fill their coffers, so less of the 'worthy' ones, please. Let's not pretend that you're delivering Christmas out of the goodness of your hearts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Did anyone see the full length Sainsbury one? Dull, dull, dull.

And features Co-op stock!! http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/14/red-faces-at-sainsburys-over-co-op-food-in-christmas-advert-4187893/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    aww they make feel all festive and excited lol
  • Options
    melloncollie06melloncollie06 Posts: 2,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i only like the Sainsbury's one cos it features my favourite all time ever christmas song!!

i dont understand why people dont get the message of the John Lewis one? i find it rather sweet really :) the thing i like about john lewis is they seem to focus more on the message of christmas rather than their products.
    remember the snowman who walked the breadth of the country just for a scarf and hat set? we didnt see a full array of products in that ad either!