Line Of Duty - New Series BBC2 (No Spoilers)

Comments

• nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    I'm interested in this underlined bit from LOD2 episode 1 script. Page 77

190 EXT./INT. ASHFIELD NURSING HOME/KATE’S CAR. CONTINUOUS.
    Kate’s car creeps towards the Nursing Home but hangs back.
    She takes in the signage.
    She sees Lindsay’s car go out of sight.
    NB CAR DRIVEN BY DOUBLE -- NOT KEELEY.
    Kate’s phone rings.

It's so confusing! But I'm very impressed by being able to read the scripts.
    We clearly see that Denton(Keeley) gets out of the car.
  • ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »
    We clearly see that Denton(Keeley) gets out of the car.

I was reading page 77 of the actual script
    Link
    http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/line-of-duty-2-ep1.pdf

I'd thought I'd found something, but VicsMum kindly explained.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A little theory of mine (I'm sure someone here can debunk it!) is that Denton was seeing Akers and the baby she aborted was his. I feel that her setting up Dryden is a big red herring. Though she does hate him, due to their 'affair' (or whatever it was), which is why she's happy over his arrest. Like what others have said, it's a coincidence that the two storylines are connected.

What I do think now is that Denton WAS behind the ambush. Though she didn't know who was going to do it or what exactly was going to happen.
  • VicsMumVicsMum Posts: 5,666
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that, I'm speed reading and thought Lindsay had given Kate the slip some how.:D

Still think it's one of the best drama's I've seen in ages.

Oh, me too! Series one was good but series two is outstanding, largely due to Keeley's performance.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the latest episode, I think it was, Dryden gave the impression that he didn't know Cottan, I think he asked his name and then said, "Oh, the inspector from AC9" or something along those lines. So I think he does know him and was pretending not to, same as when he called Lindsay "Linda".
  • VicsMumVicsMum Posts: 5,666
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »
    In the latest episode, I think it was, Dryden gave the impression that he didn't know Cottan, I think he asked his name and then said, "Oh, the inspector from AC9" or something along those lines. So I think he does know him and was pretending not to, same as when he called Lindsay "Linda".

Let's not forget that it was Dryden who seconded Cottan at AC12. So, he does know him very well, I think.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,524
    Forum Member
    Just because Dryden knows Dot it doesn't necessarily means he knows Dot's bent or that he's dodgy himself. It does seem as if Dryden's being set up by Denton and a few others with their own agenda. Did something happen between Dot and Dryden when Dot was in AC-9? I think Dryden's part in it is that he's guilty of being a serial shagger, dumping women when he's tired of them, but he met his match with Lindsay and wasn't expecting any woman to try and get their revenge for his disregard for them. Also his liking for young girls left him open to all the trouble he's in now. Could all be another twist though!

I've only watched each episode once so I've probably missed bits, but has Dot been present with Denton? Do we know if they know each other or 'know of' each other? We know he's bent and he's busy trying to get Cole down as 'The Caddy.' Tommy could be the only one who knows that he's 'The Caddy' and perhaps he's not really dead as we've been led to believe. Dot could get a big shock at the end!

And I don't like Hargreaves! He seems to be hanging around Dryden a bit, could be feeding him some right bulls***. Not sure if Hargreaves could be one with his own agenda. I hope too that Hastings has nothing to do with any of it!

Anyway, I love this series and I think every one of the actors in it deserve recognition for the parts they've played.
  • Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VicsMum wrote: »
    I'm just praying to God to not be Hastings. He's the last pillar of morality standing. If it's him I'll lose my faith in humanity :(

So true. Quite heart-breaking to see him sitting in that grotty bedsit while still trying to do the right thing. I'd like to see him back if there is to be a series 3 and hope to god he manages to ditch that horrible wife of his.

As for a series 3, who's going to survive this terrible mess? No Denton or Dryden obviously, but I can see see the slithery snake Dot swimming away from it all quite easily and returning as a major player. He's like a detective version of Teflon Tony.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »

Absolutely agree. It was Dryden to instructed Hastings to second Cotten to the unit.
    I still see Dryden as being the one behind it. But am not sure.........
  • WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    If that's the case then why did Prasad and Cole go to such lengths and risk by abducting Denton from the prison van, then having driven her to the car park they tortured her and threatened to kill her because they believed she grassed them? If she was not involved (ambush or killing of Carly Kirk) they'd have known that Their actions seem to suggest otherwise, else their behaviour makes no sense.

They were stooges for Dryden doing all his dirty work loyal to him similar to Gates crew from series. It's information Dryden needed to work out what his next play would or may have been.

But with such dominance, it would be common for some kind of tool, the photos, to be kept to protect yourself from ever becoming no longer useful and even set up. Persad arranged the rendezvous for Dryden with Carly and just how would Mention know. I don't buy the weak stalking defence by Dryden.
    Forum Member
    So true. Quite heart-breaking to see him sitting in that grotty bedsit while still trying to do the right thing. I'd like to see him back if there is to be a series 3 and hope to god he manages to ditch that horrible wife of his.

As for a series 3, who's going to survive this terrible mess? No Denton or Dryden obviously, but I can see see the slithery snake Dot swimming away from it all quite easily and returning as a major player. He's like a detective version of Teflon Tony.

Does anyone know FOR SURE that this series has been picked up for a third run??
  • lammtarralammtarra Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    There's no requirement for Denton to have done it. The most likely thing is for Akers to have done it.
    The head on collision was the easiest one to get the right outcome and the easiest one to arrange (that doesn't mean I agree nomd2king is right - yet !)

There is no point in Akers having planted the tracking device. She already knew where the safe house was, so could simply have told the baddies.

Denton does one very odd thing. She takes her own car rather than the marked police car. Perhaps for camouflage but it does mean she drives, so has control over the route.

After this, the case against either Denton or Dryden is circumstantial, except that it must have been one (or both) of them since they were the only two who possessed the crucial new information that Akers was moving the witness.
    Forum Member
    This is really telling - looks like JM really has covered every strand. Fascinating ! When the article said Belfast, I immediately thought I knew it was Hastings. How wrong !

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/mar/16/line-of-duty-is-di-denton-guilty-keeley-hawes-jed-mercurio?CMP=twt_gu
  • bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know FOR SURE that this series has been picked up for a third run??

Well according to The Observer today no decision has yet been taken on a third series:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/mar/16/line-of-duty-is-di-denton-guilty-keeley-hawes-jed-mercurio
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member
    Ella71110 wrote: »
    He was in Doctor Who ( my fav show ) :D
    In face I recognised him straight away as it wasn't that long ago he was in the show !

I hadn't spotted him in Doctor Who (my fav show too ;) )

How fantastic we get Keeley in 2014 series with Capaldi! And shes a villian
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My favourite line in this article is: "This Wednesday’s final episode will reveal all – we bloody well hope."

:D
    Forum Member
    One thing I think is impossible, is that the writer did now know at the beginning of writing who the 'baddie' or group of baddies was.

Given he is an exceptionally super-bright person -- a trained doctor as well as pilot -- even with this excess of brains, I cant see how it is possible to write such a complex and convoluted plot with so many possible baddies and to tie it all up (except for the following season threads) in one last show.

It seems rather a rash process, and it would seem that this person is not given to rashness of any type. A doctor cannot be rash and neither can a pilot.

I wonder if he uses a computer to keep track, or some kind of card index, or maybe it is all kept in his super noodle ? But I do believe there must be some track keeping.

I envy him, however he does it is all.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok - backtracking to the start -

why did they burn the victims in the ambush ? did they DNA identify the victims ?

• eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I very rarely watch police dramas but so glad I watched this one. It's superb
  • nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member

why did they burn the victims in the ambush ? did they DNA identify the victims ?

They would need DNA for official identification. The burning seems to be just a plot device to delay to the viewers and AC12 the identity of the protected witness. It may end up being given an actual reason within the story. Without it, everybody would have known the identity half way through the first episode, rather than being able to delay it until the start of the 3rd.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »
    They would need DNA for official identification. The burning seems to be just a plot device to delay to the viewers and AC12 the identity of the protected witness. It may end up being given an actual reason within the story. Without it, everybody would have known the identity half way through the first episode, rather than being able to delay it until the start of the 3rd.

I thought the delay was due to the higher depts not wanting to let AC12 know who they were yet for reasons of secrecy .

so were the bodies officially DNA pronounced as the actual people they're supposed to be ? Just wondering if maybe they aren't .

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I think is impossible, is that the writer did now know at the beginning of writing who the 'baddie' or group of baddies was.

Given he is an exceptionally super-bright person -- a trained doctor as well as pilot -- even with this excess of brains, I cant see how it is possible to write such a complex and convoluted plot with so many possible baddies and to tie it all up (except for the following season threads) in one last show.

It seems rather a rash process, and it would seem that this person is not given to rashness of any type. A doctor cannot be rash and neither can a pilot.

I wonder if he uses a computer to keep track, or some kind of card index, or maybe it is all kept in his super noodle ? But I do believe there must be some track keeping.

I envy him, however he does it is all.

Some writers employ something similar to a critical path analysis, with characters as one axis and a time line the other. So as the events take place they can determine who was where, etc., so you don't get the situation where someone says "he/she couldn't have been there," or whatever. Or as you have suggested a computer, there may even be some sort of programme that could be used.

Other writers just "wing it." Raymond Chandler said of at least one of his best selling novels/films, he wasn't sure himself who committed one of the murders.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lammtarra wrote: »
    There is no point in Akers having planted the tracking device. She already knew where the safe house was, so could simply have told the baddies.
    The tracker gave a real time location though when the convoy was on the move. Who else could have placed it?
  • Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member

I thought the delay was due to the higher depts not wanting to let AC12 know who they were yet for reasons of secrecy .

so were the bodies officially DNA pronounced as the actual people they're supposed to be ? Just wondering if maybe they aren't .

I'm not so convinced that the victim was who its supposed to be.