✭✭
    You forgot to mention Hitler.
    Where would Internet arguments be without him? :D
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    Saturday is the Sabbath. Easier to understand if you speak Italian or Spanish. Sabado y Domingo are Saturday and Sunday in Spanish, meaning Sabbath and Lord's Day.

So unless someone can explain to me otherwise, every single Christian on the planet is going to Hell for non observance. Including Andrea Williams :)

I'll be happy to explain otherwise. The commandments are from the Old Testament which is the Jewish part of the Bible. Keep the Sabbath holy etc refer to the Jewish sabbath which is a Saturday. That's why a lot of Jewish businesses are closed on Saturdays. To Christians the sabbath is a Sunday. Hence in the past a lot of places were closed in the west on Sundays. It's only in more recent years because people demanded the right to go shopping on Sundays that has changed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it's living in a place where there is a bunch of nutters who think that a sky fair exists and tells them how they should live their lives and yet have never in the whole of history proved that to be even remotely the case.

Worse! They think that they are so right, without anything to suggest that they are, ever existing, that they think they can't tell people how they should live according to the nonsense they have chosen to think is true.

In a Democracy, arguments are backed up with fact and reality. They have none.

Why should anyone waste a moment of they time on these people?

They have a right to be a nut job, but they have no right to waste anyone else's time.

Actually I think you are wrong here. In a democracy, arguments are not necessarily backed up with fact and reality. It is part of the democratic process that people are free to hold and express the most bonkers views. In this case, the anti-gay religious standpoint does include a lot of people; the BBC are not giving air time to someone who believes that the earth is flat. It is right imo for them to allow her to say her piece, and pleasing that it comes over poorly, since if anything it is likely to bolster support for same sex marriage having the opposition coming across badly.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    cantos wrote: »
    It is called "Living in a Democracy"

It really isn't. It's called "false equivilency"

The BBC does no one any favours by trying to be "balanced" even in issues such as gay marriage, where both sides do not have equally valid arguments.

There's no reasonable, rational or logical argument to support denying people equal rights under the law.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be happy to explain otherwise. The commandments are from the Old Testament which is the Jewish part of the Bible. Keep the Sabbath holy etc refer to the Jewish sabbath which is a Saturday. That's why a lot of Jewish businesses are closed on Saturdays. To Christians the sabbath is a Sunday. Hence in the past a lot of places were closed in the west on Sundays. It's only in more recent years because people demanded the right to go shopping on Sundays that has changed.
    Oh I get that. My question is Why? Does it say so in the Gospels or the New Testament? If not, why move it from Saturday to Sunday?

And if it was effectively decided by committee like the removal of the requirement for male circumcision, then aren't you all breaking the word of God and damning yourselves to eternal torment by working or shopping on Saturdays?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I get that. My question is Why? Does it say so in the Gospels or the New Testament? If not, why move it from Saturday to Sunday?

And if it was effectively decided by committee like the removal of the requirement for male circumcision, then aren't you all breaking the word of God and damning yourselves to eternal torment by working or shopping on Saturdays?

http://christianity.about.com/od/whatdoesthebiblesay/f/sundayworship.htm

I'm losing track of who is homophobic and who is christianophobic but I didn't know the answer so looked it up for you.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member

if you are attempting to reason with a believer, i would strongly advise against it!
    its bad for the blood pressure so i hear
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://christianity.about.com/od/whatdoesthebiblesay/f/sundayworship.htm

I'm losing track of who is homophobic and who is christianophobic but I didn't know the answer so looked it up for you.
    Thanks. I guess the resurrection happening on a Sunday explanation is probably right. Interesting about the Seventh-Day Adventists though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    if you are attempting to reason with a believer, i would strongly advise against it!

Oh I'm a believer? Cool. Did you skim read and make some assumptions there or do you just assign random characteristics to other posters? You must really hate those religious types who are judgemental about others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    It is also true that not all gay people favour the idea of gay marriage. As a gay Christian, I still feel that 'tradition' is actually important and I cannot really see why civil partnerships weren't enough.

Yes, there ARE actually plenty of gay men and women who share my view, though you would never guess it from the BBC Stonewall Broadcasting Corporation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm genuinely interested in this one. In many European languages the name for the day we call Saturday translates to Sabbath, even though those are Christian countries (e.g. Italy). So it seems like something has changed over the years, obviously pretty close to Christianity obtaining a hierarchy and organisation.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Wow, Shocked at this stat:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26773016

Anyone on here brave enough to admit they wouldn't go?

Depends what I've got on.
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is also true that not all gay people favour the idea of gay marriage. As a gay Christian, I still feel that 'tradition' is actually important and I cannot really see why civil partnerships weren't enough.

Yes, there ARE actually plenty of gay men and women who share my view, though you would never guess it from the BBC Stonewall Broadcasting Corporation.

One of my closest friends actually shared your view, and to an extent he still does, but he is also someone who believes firmly in equality, and it's actually your Christian leaders that ended up making him join the fight for equal marriage.

They dress it up about tradition yet come out with some absolutely vile and insulting statements, such as the ex-archbishop of Canterbury..

Separate but equal is never the same as equal, and that's why civil partnerships were not enough for me. It created this situation were LGBT people were second class citizens compared to their heterosexual peers, which to me, can never be right.

Here is a post by a law graduate on the differences between marriage and civil partnerships: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=71944850&postcount=3202
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Oh I'm a believer? Cool. Did you skim read and make some assumptions there or do you just assign random characteristics to other posters? You must really hate those religious types who are judgemental about others.

didnt even read your posts, i was talking in general.

i, as a fellow homo, also did not give a fig about gay marriage, legalize it or not, didnt bother me in the slightest, i have no intention of marrying ever.

though seeing how much it has p!ssed certain people off, i am starting to revel in it :D
    i really should get out more....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    didnt even read your posts, i was talking in general.

i, as a fellow homo, also did not give a fig about gay marriage, legalize it or not, didnt bother me in the slightest, i have no intention of marrying ever.

though seeing how much it has p!ssed certain people off, i am starting to revel in it :D
    i really should get out more....

Oh ok. Just that you quoted a response to my post. Still, enjoy your revelling.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It really isn't. It's called "false equivilency"

The BBC does no one any favours by trying to be "balanced" even in issues such as gay marriage, where both sides do not have equally valid arguments.

That reminds me of something Dara O'Briain said in one of his shows... About the BBC trying to always be 'balanced'... A NASA official talking about the space station...

"And, in the interest of balance, here is Barry who believes the sky is a carpet painted by God"

:D
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    What is this woman hoping to achieve?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26803014

Attention for herself and her nasty institution. 'You can't just redefine an institution.' Well obviously we can because we just have. What does she think actually happened?

Also, I think this article sums up exactly how serious;y this woman should be taken:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/uk-evangelist-says-tom-daley-is-gay-because-his-father-died-9013365.html

'Tom Daley turned gay because his father died.'
    That's so many levels of horrible. Plus she's campaigning to keep homosexuality illegal in Jamaica. And she looks utterly deranged. As my grandmother would say, there's wiser locked up.
  • Options
    Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm probably part of the 20%. I don't think I'd want to go to a gay wedding because I would not choose to see blokes kissing blokes, women kissing women, holding hands, public displays of affection etc. if I can avoid it. Makes me feel a bit queasy. I'm sure a lot of people would say the same if they were honest about it, but would not be keen to say so because of the inevitable PC backlash nowadays. But 30 years ago that would have been a commonly expressed opinion. I'm kind of pleased my grandparents are deceased now because I think the gay marriage thing would have sadly killed them anyway. And my Uncle Jack too. He was a lovely man in almost every respect, but he used to say horrible things about gay people, calling them p*******. Even I was uncomfortable with that sort of name-calling. I used to hear it in the playground too. F*****s, sausage jockeys, you name it, I heard it. My parents were/are pretty uptight about homosexuals too. I remember when Freddie Mercury died and Elton John was paying tribute to him on telly, and my Dad said "Well, he would, he's another p*** too."

So I'd say it's hard for people who've had an upbringing like that to fully embrace the idea that gay sex is "normal" and "equal", even though we're told we have to now. At least we can safely say that the majority of Tory MPs probably feel the same - more than half voted against gay marriage.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    I'm probably part of the 20%. I don't think I'd want to go to a gay wedding because I would not choose to see blokes kissing blokes, women kissing women, holding hands, public displays of affection etc. if I can avoid it. Makes me feel a bit queasy. I'm sure a lot of people would say the same if they were honest about it, but would not be keen to say so because of the inevitable PC backlash nowadays. But 30 years ago that would have been a commonly expressed opinion. I'm kind of pleased my grandparents are deceased now because I think the gay marriage thing would have sadly killed them anyway. And my Uncle Jack too. He was a lovely man in almost every respect, but he used to say horrible things about gay people, calling them p*******. Even I was uncomfortable with that sort of name-calling. I used to hear it in the playground too. F*****s, sausage jockeys, you name it, I heard it. My parents were/are pretty uptight about homosexuals too. I remember when Freddie Mercury died and Elton John was paying tribute to him on telly, and my Dad said "Well, he would, he's another p*** too."

So I'd say it's hard for people who've had an upbringing like that to fully embrace the idea that gay sex is "normal" and "equal", even though we're told we have to now. At least we can safely say that the majority of Tory MPs probably feel the same - more than half voted against gay marriage.

Out of all the stupid things that have been said in this thread, you've managed to nip in at the last and pip them all to the post.

Do you ever think that perhaps you and your family are the ones with the problem?
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

No doubt they were against mixed race marriages too as that was the norm numerous years ago.......you have the chance to make up your own mind without the influence of your historical family. Not sure what you are saying about Conservative MP's as a law is passed through the Lords :confused:
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    FMKK wrote: »
    Out of all the stupid things that have been said in this thread, you've managed to nip in at the last and pip them all to the post.

Do you ever think that perhaps you and your family are the ones with the problem?

I agree

My Grand Parents and even Great Grand Parents were very pro gay when I was little if anyone made any homophobic or racist remarks and they over heard they let their feelings known and tell the person exactly what they thought of them and their idiotic views

(BTW I often find people who do hold homophobic views are more often than not racist to)
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was brought up in a house and community where that sort of thing actually seems tame to me, and I'm gay.

I fully embrace the idea that sex is normal and equal, regardless of what label the participants assign to themselves, provided they are of legal age and consent.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    No doubt they were against mixed race marriages too as that was the norm numerous years ago.......you have the chance to make up your own mind without the influence of your historical family. Not sure what you are saying about Conservative MP's as a law is passed through the Lords :confused:

Oddly enough he also posted in the Gary Glitter thread and it came across he as does not think these stars like Gary should be arrested so molesting kids is fine but two adult men loving each other is not.
  • Options
    Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, Shocked at this stat:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26773016

Anyone on here brave enough to admit they wouldn't go?

20% of people are bigoted - sadly not a shocker.

Love is love - the dangly bits are just anatomy.
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oddly enough he also posted in the Gary Glitter thread and it came across he as does not think these stars like Gary should be arrested so molesting kids is fine but two adult men loving each other is not.

A Strange Fellow then James *shivers*