Options

Is it true that Jermaine is the first black male to win a talent contest since

cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
Forum Member
Is it true that Jermaine is the fist black male to win a talent contest since Lenny Henry?

I heard someone mention this and have searched my brain to disprove this but cannot.

I know Brian Belo won big brother, but obviosly is not a talent competition.

Can anyone think of any black male winners of a talent comp. since Lenny Henry

Comments

• Options
    NiiiiiiikNiiiiiiik Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cantos wrote: »
    Is it true that Jermaine is the fist black male to win a talent contest since Lenny Henry?

I heard someone mention this and have searched my brain to disprove this but cannot.

Lemar? What year did Lenny win
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Niiiiiiik wrote: »
    Lemar? What year did Lenny win
    Lemar finished 3rd.
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louis Smith? Strictly Dance Fever also has a black male winner (as part of a partnership with a white female). Judging from wikipedia, unless people were blacking up, Stars In Their Eyes had a Nat King Cole and a Paul Robeson as well.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    Do Diversity count? They are male and predominantly black.
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that is correct and interesting.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well only this Tuesday, Marvin Francis beat 7 other hopefuls to a surprise win on the BBC's "Hair" - a 6 week reality competition to find Britain's best amateur hair stylist, hosted by Steve Jones. :)
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »
    Do Diversity count? They are male and predominantly black.

Only one of them is actually black I think. Most of them are mixed race
  • Options
    NiiiiiiikNiiiiiiik Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoops sorry about the lamar comment
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Little Mix won XFactor, Leigh Anne is black
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Little Mix won XFactor, Leigh Anne is black

The OP did specify male :blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    oops :blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Monkseal wrote: »
    Louis Smith? Strictly Dance Fever also has a black male winner (as part of a partnership with a white female). Judging from wikipedia, unless people were blacking up, Stars In Their Eyes had a Nat King Cole and a Paul Robeson as well.

Louis Smith is mixed race.
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is said that Joe Public does not vote for black performers, it started with the voting for the Girls Aloud group when the hot favourite who was a black girl was voted out at the last stage
    The only exception I can think of is Alexandra Burke
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexandra Burke is many things but she is not a man (OP stated male)
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well only this Tuesday, Marvin Francis beat 7 other hopefuls to a surprise win on the BBC's "Hair" - a 6 week reality competition to find Britain's best amateur hair stylist, hosted by Steve Jones. :)

Did that have any viewers ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sam33 wrote: »
    Louis Smith is mixed race.

And plenty of mixed-race people identify as, and are identified as, being black.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I will discount Louis Smith as he was a celebrity when he won.

So as of yet know one has come up with a black male that has won a National tv talent competition(Not hairdressing) since Lenny Henry in 1975 up to Jermaine winning last night.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So its Lenny Henry's fault that black men didn't get voted for, at least for 39 years ?
  • Options
    Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^
    :D

(I always seem to be voting for the black guys on Strictly -- well, not Louis to be accurate -- but I lack the purse or the perseverance to make 'em actually win)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So as of yet know one has come up with a black male that has won a National tv talent competition(Not hairdressing) since Lenny Henry in 1975 up to Jermaine winning last night.

Apart from the two I mentioned. (Additionally I just checked and New Faces had black male winners are Lenny Henry anyway : Gary Wilmot and Lance Ellington for two).
  • Options
    nosilauknosilauk Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy Abraham was X Factor runner up and represented the UK at Eurovision..
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

SFW (if indeed it's even correct)? Up to and including Christina Marie, no white, female teenager from Bristol has ever won a national tv talent competition (including hairdressing). Why do you have to look at the guy's achievement in terms of his skin colour?
  • Options
    nosilauknosilauk Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be interesting to see the stats for TV talent contests to get a better feel for whether black men are less represented in comparison to the general population.
  • Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    I believe he is one of the first black men if not the first black man to win a talent contest, indeed.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    SFW (if indeed it's even correct)? Up to and including Christina Marie, no white, female teenager from Bristol has ever won a national tv talent competition (including hairdressing). Why do you have to look at the guy's achievement in terms of his skin colour?

Side point, but if she's 20 she's not really a teenager.