'Racist Swan' bullies Warwick University students

PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A swan nesting at Warwick University has been accused of attacking students from ethnic minorities.

http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/Students-bullied-racist-swans/story-20942520-detail/story.html

The 'white wing supremacist was said to behave aggressively towards foreign students as they cross over a footbridge near its nesting place at the university's Gibbet Hill campus in Coventry, West Midlands.

One 24-year-old student from India commented on social media: "These swans are very annoying, and the students feel as though they're being bullied. I think they don't like too many Indians in England - maybe the swans here are a little bit racist.'

However, this student has since noted that they are 'greatly saddened to see how a flippant remark they then made was reported. The student says that they now both regret and withdraw that remark.'

Swans become very territorial when they are nesting and can be aggressive towards intruders. I've heard they can break your arm, you know. So this isn't really a story about a racist swan but how careful you should be when commenting on social media.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    A swan nesting at Warwick University has been accused of attacking students from ethnic minorities.

http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/Students-bullied-racist-swans/story-20942520-detail/story.html

The 'white wing supremacist was said to behave aggressively towards foreign students as they cross over a footbridge near its nesting place at the university's Gibbet Hill campus in Coventry, West Midlands.

One 24-year-old student from India commented on social media: "These swans are very annoying, and the students feel as though they're being bullied. I think they don't like too many Indians in England - maybe the swans here are a little bit racist.'

However, this student has since noted that they are 'greatly saddened to see how a flippant remark they then made was reported. The student says that they now both regret and withdraw that remark.'

Swans become very territorial when they are nesting and can be aggressive towards intruders. I've heard they can break your arm, you know. So this isn't really a story about a racist swan but how careful you should be when commenting on social media.

Swans have never liked Curry..:o
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    It'll be just water under the bridge once the young have flown.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    Swans have never liked Curry..:o
    Least of all being turned into one.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    reported to who for what?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Why? It's obviously a jokey remark and shouldn't need to be withdrawn or apologiesed for.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Am I missing something there because there's no mention of it in the link?
  • blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Why? It's obviously a jokey remark and shouldn't need to be withdrawn or apologiesed for.

If a white English student had said something like the swans don't like brown students he/she would have been disciplined, and it would been treated as a hate crime by the PC university board. And I'm not joking.
    Forum Member
    Am I missing something there because there's no mention of it in the link?

assuming that`s a quote in the op:
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't give a flying duck if the swans are goose stepping their way into the sudentenland
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They did half an hour of this on Jeremy Vine today.
    Is Your Pet Racist?
  • MrEdgarFinchleyMrEdgarFinchley Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

....errr reported to the Western Daily Mail readership for the purpose of using up a few pixels on anti-PC claptrap?
    Forum Member
    ....errr reported to the Western Daily Mail readership for the purpose of using up a few pixels?

are you asking, telling or just rudely sneering?
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When a clearly pissed-off pigeon was attacking by-passers' ankles near a small EDL march near our office, my colleague joked to a police officer, standing next to him in the street, that the pigeon was "a card-carrying member of Black Nation" and that the officer should arrest the pigeon for being racist.

The police officer simply smiled both times. I think there was a touch of a roll-eye to his smiles. Of course, there was me, cringing at the colleague's jokes. Not the first time he came up with something like that, either. Especially fat jokes. When he sees an overweight person, it seems to compel him to tell a joke or anecdote ("Did I ever tell you about that time when a fattie...").
  • MrEdgarFinchleyMrEdgarFinchley Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    are you asking, telling or just rudely sneering?

Well, as the "story" was obviously just picked up by a hack from a posting trending on social media, just like 99% of the drivel that masquerades as news these days, I'd say it was statin' the bleedin' obvious - so a mixture of 2 and 3.
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 20,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Your Pet Racist?

Well my cat is black so she can't be.
    Forum Member
    Well, as the "story" was obviously just picked up by a hack from a posting trending on social media, just like 99% of the drivel that masquerades as news these days, I'd say it was statin' the bleedin' obvious - so a mixture of 2 and 3.

not obvious to me, perhaps my density is equal to your rudeness.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they should charge the swan with racially aggravated assault.
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should drag the swan before the beak....

....I'll get my coat :p
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Your Pet Racist?

My dog hates black labs, does that count?
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Racist swan?

You should hear pet duck's views on gay marriage!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it was one student?
  • Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the students were getting far too close to nesting swans... of course the swans are not going to be happy having the students taking photos all the time.....
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well my cat is black so she can't be.

One of my cats is also black and great at sprinting.
  • The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have realised that some visitors from other parts are partial to a swan sandwich.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was a black swan, it would have got away with it.