Why cant the BBC show WHO same time every week

Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know it dosent take much effort to look at TV guide, but i missed the start of who this week wasent expecting it so early. Is it so difficult to keep things at the same time each week like other programs do.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has been advertised it started at 6.
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has been advertised it started at 6.

Ok fair enough i dont watch that much live TV but still why change the time every week?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    It started at least 3 mins early, which buggered up my recording, buy a watch BBC!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you, they should just have it at a set time, I realise it's difficult with football and the likes coming up, but they don't fanny around with the times of other shows as much as they do with Who.

I assumed it would be on at 6:20 like it has been the last few weeks, went out, rushed back for 6:20 only to find that I'd missed half of it *sigh* thank the timelords for Iplayer
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WebbieOTW wrote: »
    It started at least 3 mins early, which buggered up my recording, buy a watch BBC!

Tell me about it:mad:
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    To answer the OPs question - BECAUSE THEY ARE IDIOTS!!! :(
  • CeeBeeUKCeeBeeUK Posts: 446
    Forum Member

But, in the interests of fairness, it overran too!

My PVR recorded it but for once I watched it live, lucky really as I would have missed the beginning and the end! :rolleyes:
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    To answer the OPs question - BECAUSE THEY ARE IDIOTS!!! :(

erm, no it's because it's impossible for it to start the same time every week because shows on a saturday evening do not all have the same running time every week, including Doctor Who.

You call them idiots when you aren't able to grasp a fact as simple as that....:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    erm, no it's because it's impossible for it to start the same time every week because shows on a saturday evening do not all have the same running time every week, including Doctor Who.

You call them idiots when you aren't able to grasp a fact as simple as that....:confused:

This. Honestly, I swear people will moan about anything these days.
    Forum Member

I don't have a problem with different start times, it's when they schedule it at 6.00 and then start it at 5.57 that gets up my olfactory system :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have a problem with different start times, it's when they schedule it at 6.00 and then start it at 5.57 that gets up my olfactory system :rolleyes:

the reason for that was because the episode was slightly too long and OTR is a live show, so it couldn't be helped. The only option would have been to cut some of the episode out.
    Forum Member
    the reason for that was because the episode was slightly too long and OTR is a live show, so it couldn't be helped. The only option would have been to cut some of the episode out.
    No, OTR, being live, could have waited for the end of DW, which shouldn't have been too long anyway! In the media timing is everything. a 45 min show is not 45 minutes and one second!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the media timing is everything. a 45 min show is not 45 minutes and one second!

this episode was 47-48 minutes long, not 45 minutes long. So I guess you should blame the editors for not cutting more running time from the episode so that it feel within your rules.
    Forum Member
    this episode was 47-48 minutes long, not 45 minutes long. So I guess you should blame the editors for not cutting more running time from the episode so that it feel within your rules.

It's not 'my' rules, I work in the media, if it's 45 mins that's what you do, not, 'oh I'll add a couple of mins' you have to fit the schedule, you actually get very anal about it because you're working precisely to the clock!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not 'my' rules, I work in the media, if it's 45 mins that's what you do, not, 'oh I'll add a couple of mins' you have to fit the schedule, you actually get very anal about it because you're working precisely to the clock!

Well i hate to tell you this but very few episodes of DW have ran exactly to their set running length, some under run, so over run, very few are exactly the length they are supposed to be. I'm surprised you haven't noticed this, considering it's apparently such a big deal to you.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed the first 10 minutes too as I expected it to start at 6.20. Could have checked but just didn't think about it. Will check next week as I didn't realise there was such an anomaly in the start times of programmes on a Saturday..
    Forum Member
    Well i hate to tell you this but very few episodes of DW have ran exactly to their set running length, some under run, so over run, very few are exactly the length they are supposed to be. I'm surprised you haven't noticed this, considering it's apparently such a big deal to you.

Come & do some work in the media and see how 'big a deal'
    it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed the first 10 minutes too as I expected it to start at 6.20. Could have checked but just didn't think about it. Will check next week as I didn't realise there was such an anomaly in the start times of programmes on a Saturday..

it was advertised as being 6pm for a couple of weeks, RS. It's just a bit earlier this week due to OTR being longer (they have two eliminations this week). Next week it's on at 6.25pm. To be fair to show the start times have been pretty consistent this series, more so than any series since series1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come & do some work in the media and see how 'big a deal'
    it is.

Write and tell Points of View that. I look forward to hearing the BBC's response. Interesting it has taken you so many years to pick up on it though.
    Forum Member
    Write and tell Points of View that. I look forward to hearing the BBC's response. Interesting it has taken you so many years to pick up on it though.

45 min scheduled item = 45 mins scheduled item, which part do you not understand?
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was advertised as being 6pm for a couple of weeks, RS. It's just a bit earlier this week due to OTR being longer (they have two eliminations this week). Next week it's on at 6.25pm. To be fair to show the start times have been pretty consistent this series, more so than any series since series1.

Hi Muttley - hows things? :) yes, that's why I got caught out, I work most evenings so don't get to see much telly during the week therefore didn't realise. This is the first time I've watched the series religiously. In a way I wish I hadn't started as I'm hooked now!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    45 min scheduled item = 45 mins scheduled item, which part do you not understand?

I understand that you think all episodes should be exactly 45 minutes long. The fact is that in the case of DW post 2005 this has very often not been the case regardless. The fact that you, a supposed expert, have only just clocked this fact leads me to think you aren't the expert you think you are.

As I said, write in and tell the BBc they are getting it wrong. I look forward to your letter being read out on POV in a couple of weeks, since clearly it is a matter of national significance!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Muttley - hows things? :) yes, that's why I got caught out, I work most evenings so don't get to see much telly during the week therefore didn't realise. This is the first time I've watched the series religiously. In a way I wish I hadn't started as I'm hooked now!!

It's easy to get hooked on this show!:D

I think you'll be fine rest of the series - around 6.15 - 6.30pm start times all around!:)
    Forum Member
    I understand that you think all episodes should be exactly 45 minutes long. The fact is that in the case of DW post 2005 this has very often not been the case regardless. The fact that you, a supposed expert, have only just clocked this fact leads me to think you aren't the expert you think you are.

As I said, write in and tell the BBc they are getting it wrong. I look forward to your letter being read out on POV in a couple of weeks, since clearly it is a matter of national significance!

I don't think they have to be 45 mins long, they HAVE to be EXACTLY 45 mins long to fit the schedule thats how it works. Simple as that.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they have to be 45 mins long, they HAVE to be EXACTLY 45 mins long to fit the schedule thats how it works. Simple as that.

If they HAVE to be like that why did they get away with airing a couple extra minutes tonight then? And it has happened before apparently too.

If it HAD to be 45 minutes on the dot, surely they would have been made to make it 45 minutes on the dot? Either that or give it a 50 minute time slot.