help with getting heating on

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have been in this flat 5 years and seem to go through this every year. I have a combi boiler and the hot water is fine. I have turned the dial to the radiator picture but the heat is not coming on. I turn the thermostat to the click and have tried leaving it below as well as above the click as I know this is how I regulate it when it does work. It did kick in once a few weeks ago but when it warmed up again I had it off so I'm back where I started.

Am I doing something wrong? I have had the manual out and it says turn the dial to what I have and that's it. But it's not kicking on and I am absolutely frozen!

Comments

• RowieboyRowieboy Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Handers wrote: »
    I have been in this flat 5 years and seem to go through this every year. I have a combi boiler and the hot water is fine. I have turned the dial to the radiator picture but the heat is not coming on. I turn the thermostat to the click and have tried leaving it below as well as above the click as I know this is how I regulate it when it does work. It did kick in once a few weeks ago but when it warmed up again I had it off so I'm back where I started.

Am I doing something wrong? I have had the manual out and it says turn the dial to what I have and that's it. But it's not kicking on and I am absolutely frozen!

Check your timer.That's caused me problems in the past.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be the changeover valve is stuck. Have you had the system serviced?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowieboy wrote: »
    Check your timer.That's caused me problems in the past.

Thank you - I will have a look
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drdaws wrote: »
    Could be the changeover valve is stuck. Have you had the system serviced?

I'm still under the annual and nothing was mentioned. Thing is, I really think it's me and not the system as I seem to go through this every year. I make a mental note not to do xyz next year and I never remember what it is!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boiler model number?
    they are all different
    post the make and model
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try switching the timer control to “Manual” as this will over ride any timer settings and if you have the thermostat set at 26 deg or higher then the boiler should kick in.

If it does kick in don’t forget to put the thermostat back down to a comfortable level or you will be sweating not to mention bankrupt.:D
  • PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a similar problem a few months ago.,

Plumber came and charged me £300 to replace the motorised valave. Didn't really fix the problem (still intermittent, but OK when he left).

Came back again and charged me another £40 to replace the thermostat. Sorted.

...and I was £300 worse off than had he replaced the thermostat initially. He did explain that replacing the motorised valve wouldn't necessarily fix the problem, but was the most likely cause, and that it was done because I asked him. So made it hard to ask for money back, even though I merely followed his advice. A friend at work siad he was "done" by another plumber doing exactly the same a few years ago,

So check the thermostat before spending loads of money on new boiler or motorised valve.
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boilers are complex beasts these days, especially combi boilers. There's no simple answer that could explain why your heating isn't coming on. Boilers these days have many safety cut outs and anyone of these could be the issue including water presure, waterflow, overheating etc. Having said all that, it could be that your pump is not working correctly or you have an airlock which is preventing the flow of water. When the water doesn't flow, the boiler will start heating the water and will then cut out very quickly to prevent the water overheating. I would suggest trying a quick bleed of your radiators to see if there is an air in your rads. If that doesn't work then have a look at the water presure. It should be around 1-2 bar. If its too low then you can turn on the feed tab to allow some more water in your system.

Other than that, there's very little user serviceable things you can do so it's a call out for a gas safe plumber.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it

It's a Ferrollil Modena 80E

I have reset the timer (which I have never used but it's worth a shot)

I have turned up the thermostat quite high.

Pressure is good, it's at 3 on the nose.

Now I wait . . .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it

It's a Ferrollil Modena 80E

I have reset the timer (which I have never used but it's worth a shot)

I have turned up the thermostat quite high.

Pressure is good, it's at 3 on the nose.

Now I wait . . .
    That preasure seems too high. At least it is for my boilers. If its too high then the boiler wont boil since the additional preasure from the heated water could blow the boiler.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    That preasure seems too high. At least it is for my boilers. If its too high then the boiler wont boil since the additional preasure from the heated water could blow the boiler.

I thought it would be okay as it used to be hard to keep at one until the boiler guy showed me how to raise it, and he usually puts it at 4. How can I turn it down to check? I know where the valve to increase is, but not sure how to decrease.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The pressure should be on about 1.

Is the boiler firing up when the thermostat clicks? If not check all your taps are off.

There should also be an over ride button to bypass the timer. Try turning the stat down then pressing over ride then turning the stat up again.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check that your radiators haven't got individual thermostats on them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it would be okay as it used to be hard to keep at one until the boiler guy showed me how to raise it, and he usually puts it at 4. How can I turn it down to check? I know where the valve to increase is, but not sure how to decrease.

4 :eek: that seems way too high. But it might just be a difference in boiler. Boilers should have an overflow if the pressure is too high but in this weather it might be frozen so you could check that.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are the individual radiators switched off?
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    Are the individual radiators switched off?

Even if they are the bypass rad should be on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to say thank you to all the tips everyone took the time to write. A friend came over and we fiddled around for a bit and got it going. I was reading suggestions to him from the thread while he worked! Very grateful :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to say thank you to all the tips everyone took the time to write. A friend came over and we fiddled around for a bit and got it going. I was reading suggestions to him from the thread while he worked! Very grateful :)

You definately need to drop the pressure to about 1.5. You can do this by venting a radiator and letting out some water.
  • varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... I seem to go through this every year. I make a mental note not to do xyz next year and I never remember what it is!

This time, have you written down what to do so you'll know what to do next year?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Combi boilers and pressure, argh, don't get me started on mine!
  • sycamoresycamore Posts: 4,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This time, have you written down what to do so you'll know what to do next year?

Exactly what I was wondering!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    You definately need to drop the pressure to about 1.5. You can do this by venting a radiator and letting out some water.

Done!!
  • Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emz_uk wrote: »
    Combi boilers and pressure, argh, don't get me started on mine!

I am retired Plumber/Heating Eng', I don't like Combi Boilers at all. too old fashioned that's me. I used to fit Traditional Oil and Gas Boilers and a life of up to 25 even 30 yrs was not uncommon. I know modern Condensing boilers and Combis that have failed in 5yrs, even less.
    A plumber I know says if it lasts out the 2yr guarantee that's all that matters and I fit a new one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    Hut27 wrote: »
    I am retired Plumber/Heating Eng', I don't like Combi Boilers at all. too old fashioned that's me. I used to fit Traditional Oil and Gas Boilers and a life of up to 25 even 30 yrs was not uncommon. I know modern Condensing boilers and Combis that have failed in 5yrs, even less.
    A plumber I know says if it lasts out the 2yr guarantee that's all that matters and I fit a new one.

I fitted my combi boiler 25 years ago and it's still going strong. I have no plans to replace it while it's working okay.