Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Good points Mona. And I think there were times in S4 that he really did think there was a chance that he and Edith might make a go of it because he did seem to think that Louisa did not want him in her life.

But when he got to the hotel he had a jolt when he realized what she had planned. Once he got over the surprise I think he was up for it. But the renewed shot of confidence he got from handling the crisis in the kitchen, Edith's treatment of hm like a schoolboy in the kitchen, and the maid's ponytail all jolted him into realizing that it was Louisa he wanted. He still didn't have any expectations of getting back with Louisa because he was leaving for London. But he did know that he wasn't ready yet to move on.
    BodminDM wrote: »
    Actually, I am not convinced that it was the ponytail of the maid that made him re-think. I always found the resemblance between the maid and Louisa wasn't strong enough. I always thought he simply looked at the bed and it dawned him that he didn't want to share that with Edith.
    But that's just my personal opinion.

I really think the ponytail played an important part in his decision and no just because they chose to have a maid with a ponytail and they never do anything that doesn't mean something but because of the look on DM's face when he sees it. :):):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Hello, all,

I think it reduces the complexity of humanity to think we really know what DM and Edith were like for the years they were together as lovers, 25 years before we saw her show up in his life. Edith may have been prickly to LG, but to DM she had clear affection and patience, appreciated his point of view and enjoyed being around him.

I do not believe they were really egghead intellectual robots having sex when they were in medical school. For one thing, DM main issue in life is wanting someone to truly love him, which his parents clearly did not do, nor did he apparently have an easy time at boarding school. AJ gave him brief interludes of love which meant 40 years later he runs to her when he has his hemophilia and career change.

When Edith and he were together, I feel he at least was head over heels in love with her. Look at the couple of episodes in S3 after he and LG had been intimate and decided to marry--he was very considerate of her, asked her opinion, and was really striving to be a good partner, as well as he could. I imagine he and Edith could indeed have been romantic and loving, at times, as well as intellectual and medically oriented.

Even in the night in the hotel, Edith could indeed have been imagining a successful talk, no doubt a nice dinner, and a romantically sexual interlude afterwards.

As DM fans who perhaps have no doubt disliked Edith, it's easy to think their entire years together was cold and mechanical. I think there are indeed many signs we see to show that was not necessarily the case.

PS--the large transformer ad comes up again, now, with the reply section box and on the main site, too.
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I think that Edith's desire to get Martin back to London was a perverse desire to ease some sort of embarrassment. It took her a few encounters before she started up as a "predator". She noticed in their encounters that he was masculine, tall and drop dead sexy. She was probably reminiscing about how...to her great surprise...was shall we say...good in the sack. I was
    so elated when he made up his mind and left her. She should have been humiliated and he told her in plain English "Maybe I just didn't want to be with you."

Interestingly enough she didn't hear him. Oh she heard him but her selfishness and self centered ness rendered her deaf to Martin's truth. That statement eas one of the plainest ,most honest things that the Doc ever said in all the series. It was a profound statement of HOW HE FELT...an astronomical leap for him. She, in her conceited denial still said,"I'll see you in London." What an unctuous witch!

Very well said, both of you.

Edith was horrible but brought us so much closer to DM that I like her presence in the show. :):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

A few of you have expressed concerns over an advert that is blocking posts and is reluctant to go away - we're sorry for the inconvenience.

Unfortunately not much information has been provided on these, so we're finding it difficult to reproduce. If this occurs again, could you please note the advert that is on display, the page it is on and if possible a screenshot.

We'll be looking for replies so please feel free to respond here.
    DS
    I'm not getting any of this stuff. It really makes me look forward to coming back to the states and encountering this ...not

Mofromco I am in Australia and am getting the Transformer movie ad! Usually the ads are small and stay in the top right hand corner but this one spreads down the page and won't disappear even if I refresh the screen : (
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm curious how many of us are reading the spoilers. There were only two people who responded to my recent spoiler and I realized perhaps most on this forum might be filtering their info until the show airs.

Would you let me know if you're reading the spoilers?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    I'm curious how many of us are reading the spoilers. There were only two people who responded to my recent spoiler and I realized perhaps most on this forum might be filtering their info until the show airs.

They are so tempting--and I am weak, well...with longing for the new series (well, aren't we all?). What I have been doing is taking a tiny fast peek--click on, click off. If the first few words are not giving away too much, I may click on and read a bit more then click off. But as a rule I do not read the spoilers. Recently someone mentioned a picture of Louisa--had to look, so there is one thing I know in advance. I realize how absurd all this must sound and I've gone on too long. Short answer--no.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ;)
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I really think the ponytail played an important part in his decision and no just because they chose to have a maid with a ponytail and they never do anything that doesn't mean something but because of the look on DM's face when he sees it. :):):)

Have to agree - that pony-tail needs a health warning !

And do you recall when The Doc goes into the school and sees another brunette, pony-tailed teacher from the back and it stops him in his tracks ?

Lethal weapon, I tell you...

Might, just MiGHT, put my hair up into a pony-tail today - well it IS hot here in the UK

;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Conniej wrote: »
    I think the fact that Edith could recite Martin's poem 20ish years later seems to indicate that it meant quite a bit to her. Maybe she wasn't quite so frosty in her youth.

She did say that he was the only man who had ever written her poetry. I still can't put an "emotional" attachment together with Edith. Attachment, yes, for professional reasons but the rest was just going through the motions. Hot sex in your early years - yeah - that is a given - but I suspect we've all walked away from that.
    Perhaps she eventually made the decision to go because she realized that ME would always eclipse her and she is not a woman to live in anyone's shadow.
    And as for her helping him - yes, she did, but I see it again as a feather in HER cap, she could always say that SHE had brought him back and he would of course, always be grateful. And she could/would manipulate that in whatever way she could. Offering, or expecting, a sexual relationship was just a bit of icing. There is barely a man who can't be led a bit by the old one-eyed-monster.
    (see we really do think this is real - we talk about these characters as if they were REAL PEOPLE - we got it BAD!!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member

I read them all, they don't spoil anything for me. The more I learn about what is going on now with filming, the more appetite I have for the final product. Can't wait to see how it all comes together.
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the fact that Edith could recite Martin's poem 20ish years later seems to indicate that it meant quite a bit to her. Maybe she wasn't quite so frosty in her youth.

Frankly, if any man wrote poetry for me I would remember it, even if it was the bagger at the supermarket ! She probably considered it a feather in her cap and pulled it out to further her cause. Or not . Conniej, thanks for the FB stuff...lots of fun.
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    She did say that he was the only man who had ever written her poetry. I still can't put an "emotional" attachment together with Edith. Attachment, yes, for professional reasons but the rest was just going through the motions. Hot sex in your early years - yeah - that is a given - but I suspect we've all walked away from that.
    Perhaps she eventually made the decision to go because she realized that ME would always eclipse her and she is not a woman to live in anyone's shadow.
    And as for her helping him - yes, she did, but I see it again as a feather in HER cap, she could always say that SHE had brought him back and he would of course, always be grateful. And she could/would manipulate that in whatever way she could. Offering, or expecting, a sexual relationship was just a bit of icing. There is barely a man who can't be led a bit by the old one-eyed-monster.
    (see we really do think this is real - we talk about these characters as if they were REAL PEOPLE - we got it BAD!!)

Dmbesotted, we must have been posting at close to the same time. You have hit the nail on the head. I view her memorization of the beautiful poem just pulling something out her trophy case. Bravo
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ohhhh - some new pics this morning on FB (filming from Thursday) of ME sporting a new tie! Navy blue with white somethings (almost look like little croissants or something). Oh - and a black suit. I don't think he wears black suits very often - looks a bit formal.

How sad am I that this was the highlight of my Saturday morning? :eek:
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He doesn't have hemophilia or he would have died a dozen times with his bits of clumsiness. He has Haemophobia my friend.

Of course, mofromco. Obviously what I wrote was a rushed typo, not a lack of medical understanding of DM's actual condition and that of hemophilia.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read my post again, I believe, in my humble and respectful opinion that Edith is a "user". She picks and takes whatever she wants as long as it's in her best interest. As I stated in my above post I believe that Martin was a shy and unhappy young man. Edith used him for sex and whatever but I suggest he was besotted with her, which in this case turned out to be a destructive and unhealthy devotion. He was terribly hurt when she left him because even THAT relationship was sour. Edith knew Canada was in her best professional and probably monetary interest. She didn't give a hoot about Martin.

Well, it's interesting how each of us interpret the historical relationship of DM and Edith, and in many varied ways. As we'll never actually know the truth, unless the writers decide to openly explain that part of his life, we are all feel free to create our own ideas of how their relationship existed and how they inter-related. Sharing personal opinions is one of the best, expansive aspects of the Forum, as I read views I never would think myself, but enjoy seeing others have.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I certainly am! Nice titillation (if I may borrow that word from a DM/MC FB poster) to keep me going until the new series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Woof!

Oh, pardon me. That was my reaction to "masculine, tall, and drop dead sexy". And "good in the sack".

It's true. A big deal for Martin to clearly vocalize something like that. It's a rare moment with someone of the opposite sex in which he knows his own mind, what's right for him (or who) and what he wants from life (or who) and he very clearly states it. Edith is so egotistical and self-centered that it flies right over her head (I'm sitting here doing that "whoosh" thing with my hand over my head; do you see it?).

The history of Martin and Edith is fascinating, as this discussion has proved. We're provided with just enough information to realize the relationship was significant, at least for him, but we don't have enough info from her perspective to call it with certainty, so we all have our own ideas. I think it was a Big Deal life event for Martin. It may also have been at the time for Edith, but in the end she chose career over him. We don't know with certainty if that meant she was using him (for sex, as a study partner, as a friend, or all of the above) or if she was as enamored as he for a time, but changed her mind. It could be that she wanted him to go with her but wasn't ready for marriage. There are loads of possibilities.

That's one of the things they do so well in DM. They provoke us, tease us, but don't lay it all out there in front of us. It isn't all put out on a platter, to use Tishellspeak. That can be frustrating, but gives us lots to talk about.

For me, as I've said, the two most stunning things we learn about Martin through Edith are that he once, in his younger days, was in love to the degree that he wanted marriage, and ended up brokenhearted, if we're to judge by Auntie Joan's reaction to Edith (or Auntie Jill :p), and he wrote poetry! This little morsel of extraordinary information was dangled out there one time and not mentioned again, or explained, or revisited. At least not yet. Martin Ellingham, straight-laced, buttoned up, inept (or unable!) in expressing his feelings, once wrote poetry! And it was good poetry. Emotional, well-written, touching poetry. Holy guacamole, Batman, this is intriguing stuff!

I wonder if this is something that eventually, in S6 or 7, will be referenced or revisited. BP has a tendency to pull old issues and references out of their hats, after all. They seem to know we're paying attention and that we don't forget.
    For example, it took four seasons for them to do it, but the problem of Martin's parents and upbringing apparently is coming back with a bang in S6.

Well written, Biffpup! Edith remains one of the main and intriguing mysteries of the characters we've seen on DM.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member

Oh, I am hanging on every pic and word. I could not have survived series 5 had I not known they killed off AJ ahead of time- I needed time to grieve that one. I found the last episode of 5 hidden in you tube and watched it over and over just to know everything would turn out ok

It was so fun to watch the fan videos on you tube and then match them to the episodes - littlequine does some great ones
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Yes I agree. :)

Me too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am specifically not reading the spoilers.

I want the show's plots to be new and fresh when I see the episodes in the Fall. So, again, thanks for using the spoilers--I really appreciate it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that Edith's desire to get Martin back to London was a perverse desire to ease some sort of embarrassment. It took her a few encounters before she started up as a "predator". She noticed in their encounters that he was masculine, tall and drop dead sexy. She was probably reminiscing about how...to her great surprise...was shall we say...good in the sack. I was
    so elated when he made up his mind and left her. She should have been humiliated and he told her in plain English "Maybe I just didn't want to be with you."

Interestingly enough she didn't hear him. Oh she heard him but her selfishness and self centered ness rendered her deaf to Martin's truth. That statement eas one of the plainest ,most honest things that the Doc ever said in all the series. It was a profound statement of HOW HE FELT...an astronomical leap for him. She, in her conceited denial still said,"I'll see you in London." What an unctuous witch!

I was puzzled about the "embarrassment" part but then remembered that in their first encounter he showed her diagnosis up to be wrong and saved the dog psychologist woman from unnecessary surgery. That should have been a bit embarrassing for her.

And yes, it did take her a bit to start up as a predator, because first and foremost she was dismissive of him in his new role, and she had to ascertain that Martin "hadn't lost his edge", that he was someone she still could and had to respect (he did that clearly with the above surgery save).

And I do so love your observation and Martin's statement in the words I made bold in your message!

And I do agree with everyone about the poetry piece being one of the most intriguing aspects of the Doc and his inner life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you guys know of or remember any American tv shows that had a beautiful location like Port Isaac in Doc Martin? I can't think of any!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member

Martin Ellingham drop dead sexy? I never thought of him in that way but I suppose he has some appeal in the way of an exceedingly intelligent man. But if I had my choice between a shirtless Doc Martin and a shirtless PC Penhale, I would forego the intellectual stimulation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Do you guys know of or remember any American tv shows that had a beautiful location like Port Isaac in Doc Martin? I can't think of any!

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" someone said. Not so much for me, but CSI: Miami maybe, especially in the opening shot.

Cabot Cove in the Angela Lansbury series Murder, She Wrote many years back was probably more like Port Wenn in feel because of the villagers rather than the scenery, I think I remember.

And heaven knows, we've talked a bit already about Northern Exposure.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMfan wrote: »
    Martin Ellingham drop dead sexy? I never thought of him in that way but I suppose he has some appeal in the way of an exceedingly intelligent man. But if I had my choice between a shirtless Doc Martin and a shirtless PC Penhale, I would forego the intellectual stimulation.

Oh not for me - it's the whole package. So Ellingham over Penhale all day long!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMfan wrote: »

Well, I'd be quite happy to take the leftover!;)

Oh, sorry, ShopGirl, I didn't notice you'd already taken dibs on him. :cry:
This discussion has been closed.