Options

Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I agree, NewPark. She was intentionally dressed and shown to be sort of thrown together in much of S5 to signify the exhaustion of being a brand new mother. In this shot (as you said, despite the dress), she does look much better. Hair is put together. Assorted parts of the outfit match. And at least this dress has color (and how!), unlike the beiges and grays and bland colors we saw last season.

I saw that bag but wondered if it's not a satchel or something like that for toting off-hours "homework" to and from school and home. Or maybe that old purse that had a starring role for so many years finally bit the dust. That's another thing to watch for.

Maybe she needs a bit more space for baby gear even when she's not got the baby.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely loved Gremlin--the antithesis of Doc's cleanliness, neatness, and orderliness. So I guess he symbolized for me anyhow, the more relaxed approach our Doc needs in the village.

Dodger is cute (full disclosure: I'm not fond of small dogs generally, a medium to big dog person) and might hit his marks, but I see the training coming out in his shots, and not so much of a natural look. Which is why I think Gremlin looked so much more brilliant in the final product to me.

You've hit the nail on the head for me. I'm not a dog person at all but Gremlin was more of a bother to DM I think and just perfect for the "more relaxed approach" that DM needs.

I totally agree, Biffpup. Dodger is cuter and more talented, but Gremlin was more soulful.

Soulful. What a perfect description, Statesidefan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Yes.
    There is a sign for Portwenn School and it says "Headmistress Mrs. Louisa Ellingham, B.A.

Of course I wasn't swayed by the tech persons comments on Facebook and we did see the ring but Ian am very pleased to see this sign. I don't call myself mrs but if I were LG I would and, like someone else said, I'd smile Everytime I walked past it.

]

Lets hope things work out a bit happier for them both this series. I have high hopes just from the tiny bits we've seen and heard so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, quite!

No, no--it's bi, remember?:D
    Nah!! I think he'd turn gay for the manny. He's pretty cute. :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, now you two have me imagining a redecorated surgery, complete with a lava lamp, blacklight posters, shag carpeting, and a huge M and L for the wall. ;);). Last edited by Biffpup : Today at 07:15. Reason: Forgot to insert a "wink" so you know I haven't lost my mind. Not completely. Yet.

Lol :D:D

I understand completely. I am foolishly happy over a sign!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The print on the dress goes with the wallpaper in the recent candid LG print with pix on the desk. Maybe the set designers and costume designers are ganging up. Now, what would the prop people do to stay in sync: put a "fro" on the Buddha?

:D:D:D I don't know how I missed this! It'll match the shag carpeting and lava lamp!
  • Options
    mazziebluemazzieblue Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    So much filming in the village today. the great thing was that they were filming all around the village. So, when I went into the village this morning, everything was set up - the chemists, the school, the fish cellars. I even had to jump out of the way of a large Lexus coming down the road. It really made the town look like you would imagine Portwenn to be. And I learned some interesting things:

They film in 6 week chunks and do 3 episodes at a time. The episodes are done in order, but during that filming, they could be doing any of the three episodes. Right now they are doing episode 1-3, through next week and then they begin the next chunk. Also, Ian McNiece is one of the sweetest people. He sat on the Platt for almost an hour and took photos, signed autographs and chatted. Apparently his next gig is that he is going to Houston, TX for some comic book festival.

On to what we saw:
    Two fishermen are going out and find a body at the bottom of the steps leading to Large's Restaurant. They carry the guy up to the surgery and DM comes out in his robe and pyjamas and ushers them in. (Before you ask...yes, it looked like those pyjamas.) The man was later in a scene at the school, so I'm guessing patient of the week. At the same time, one of LG's student's issued a school paper without her approval and it had a bad review for Bert's Restaurant, resulting in no one coming in. At one point, LG and Mike the nanny were walking down the hill and Bert came to confront them. No idea what was said, but it ended with LG saying she didn't have time to talk to him and Bert yelling he has an empty restaurant.

Later, DM and LG walked down Fore Street arguing, only to be interrupted by JP asking them if they "feel any better or different now". He greeted them with a "look who it is" so I am guessing this is shortly after the wedding.

Later, AR parked her car right in front of a no park zone and Penhale immediately confronted her - she talked him into letting her go since she would be 2 minutes. She returned later to find a ticket on her car and a single rose on her front seat. Hmm....

So, based on the above, I am guessing the overnight episode happens first, then the wedding and then the news letter thing - but this is pure guessing on my part).

I have very limited internet, so I hope to have pics up in the next few days for those interested (none of filming, since they were policing anyone with a camera during filming). On a funny note, when MC filmed in the road and a care came along, he fled to the side of the road with a high pitched "ooo - hoo".

Oh - and for those coming later, they issued the next round of village filming. Through the 9th of May and then they are back several times during the first half of June. They don't published "other" places outside the village, so there may be more location filming during those times as well.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Nah!! I think he'd turn gay for the manny. He's pretty cute. :D:D:D

Thanks for the laugh!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course I wasn't swayed by the tech persons comments on Facebook and we did see the ring but Ian am very pleased to see this sign. I don't call myself mrs but if I were LG I would and, like someone else said, I'd smile Everytime I walked past it.

]

Lets hope things work out a bit happier for them both this series. I have high hopes just from the tiny bits we've seen and heard so far.
    It would seem they hopefully didn't argue over whether she'd keep her last name! Thank heaven.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Lol :D:D

I understand completely. I am foolishly happy over a sign!!

After viewing said Twitter pictures, I have two things to say.

1. That dress is horrifying.

2. THANK YOU JESUS, ALLAH, BUDDHA, THE LORDS OF KOBALL AND THE NORSE GOD OF THUNDER. That sign nearly made my head explode.

That is all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzieblue wrote: »
    So much filming in the village today. the great thing was that they were filming all around the village. So, when I went into the village this morning, everything was set up - the chemists, the school, the fish cellars. I even had to jump out of the way of a large Lexus coming down the road. It really made the town look like you would imagine Portwenn to be. And I learned some interesting things:

They film in 6 week chunks and do 3 episodes at a time. The episodes are done in order, but during that filming, they could be doing any of the three episodes. Right now they are doing episode 1-3, through next week and then they begin the next chunk. Also, Ian McNiece is one of the sweetest people. He sat on the Platt for almost an hour and took photos, signed autographs and chatted. Apparently his next gig is that he is going to Houston, TX for some comic book festival.

On to what we saw:
    Two fishermen are going out and find a body at the bottom of the steps leading to Large's Restaurant. They carry the guy up to the surgery and DM comes out in his robe and pyjamas and ushers them in. (Before you ask...yes, it looked like those pyjamas.) The man was later in a scene at the school, so I'm guessing patient of the week. At the same time, one of LG's student's issued a school paper without her approval and it had a bad review for Bert's Restaurant, resulting in no one coming in. At one point, LG and Mike the nanny were walking down the hill and Bert came to confront them. No idea what was said, but it ended with LG saying she didn't have time to talk to him and Bert yelling he has an empty restaurant.

Later, DM and LG walked down Fore Street arguing, only to be interrupted by JP asking them if they "feel any better or different now". He greeted them with a "look who it is" so I am guessing this is shortly after the wedding.

Later, AR parked her car right in front of a no park zone and Penhale immediately confronted her - she talked him into letting her go since she would be 2 minutes. She returned later to find a ticket on her car and a single rose on her front seat. Hmm....

So, based on the above, I am guessing the overnight episode happens first, then the wedding and then the news letter thing - but this is pure guessing on my part).

I have very limited internet, so I hope to have pics up in the next few days for those interested (none of filming, since they were policing anyone with a camera during filming). On a funny note, when MC filmed in the road and a care came along, he fled to the side of the road with a high pitched "ooo - hoo".

Oh - and for those coming later, they issued the next round of village filming. Through the 9th of May and then they are back several times during the first half of June. They don't published "other" places outside the village, so there may be more location filming during those times as well.

Hm. I'm fascinated by your second paragraph in the spoiler. Trying to figure out what this means :confused:.

Thanks for continuing to be one of our scouts in PI.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After viewing said Twitter pictures, I have two things to say.

1. That dress is horrifying.

2. THANK YOU JESUS, ALLAH, BUDDHA, THE LORDS OF KOBALL AND THE NORSE GOD OF THUNDER. That sign nearly made my head explode.

That is all.

Hah! I tried to save that photo and/or make it my PC wallpaper, but apparently you can't do that at twitter (or I don't know how). Still grinning like a fool! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think listening to Hugh Laurie in an interview with his regular english accent then hear him slide into his American accent is amazing.
    Not being American his accent may not be perfect but i find it convincing.

I know it is part of acting but there are a lot if actors who can't do accents convincingly for movies.

It's convincing. I was so surprised when I found out he was from the UK. I've listened closely to accents most of my life and love to sort them out. There are so many local and or regional accents around the US so HL doesn't sound like every American, but he sounds like a lot of them.

One of the most interesting persons here in Portland that I've met is a woman named Mary McDonald who is an accent and voice coach in addition to being a fine actress and director in our community. You may know her as the voice on OnStar in US cars. I've heard her talk about her work with accents and it is fascinating, even distinguishing between the general Bronx accent from a Brooklyn one in New York and those are major boroughs of the city.

I'd love to see MC do something in any accent, I will say. I love the bit of French in W&M and again in the Heavy Horsepower doc. The Swedish one in Reggie Perrin. Makes me giggle to see him on the Graham Norton Show with John Cleese when they are talking about their shows in France. Ahhhh, another happiness moment.......:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, folks, putting on my teacher hat here:

LG teaches kiddies, from small to tweens. My experience tells me that my students noticed my clothes more than I realized early in my career. I could set a mood in my classroom for a particular lesson with what I wore. And color and pattern were a big part of it, along with style. I had to be a model of decorum in my dress. And I had to make myself feel good also. And yes, I was Mrs.____ , too. When I became a Ms.______ , bringing my son up in a conversation helped make me "real" to the kids then. I found so many little things like that helped me connect to the kids and vice versa. Otherwise, they just think you sleep in the school overnight!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's convincing. I was so surprised when I found out he was from the UK. I've listened closely to accents most of my life and love to sort them out. There are so many local and or regional accents around the US so HL doesn't sound like every American, but he sounds like a lot of them.

One of the most interesting persons here in Portland that I've met is a woman named Mary McDonald who is an accent and voice coach in addition to being a fine actress and director in our community. You may know her as the voice on OnStar in US cars. I've heard her talk about her work with accents and it is fascinating, even distinguishing between the general Bronx accent from a Brooklyn one in New York and those are major boroughs of the city.

I'd love to see MC do something in any accent, I will say. I love the bit of French in W&M and again in the Heavy Horsepower doc. The Swedish one in Reggie Perrin. Makes me giggle to see him on the Graham Norton Show with John Cleese when they are talking about their shows in France. Ahhhh, another happiness moment.......:)

Susie,
    Have you listened to the Rock the Doc podcast or watched the US series "Bones"? Karen (on Rock the Doc) has a fantastic accent that I'd like to pinpoint. It is the same as Angela's accent on "Bones". Do you know where it is from, if it is indeed from an area?
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Susie,
    Have you listened to the Rock the Doc podcast or watched the US series "Bones"? Karen (on Rock the Doc) has a fantastic accent that I'd like to pinpoint. It is the same as Angela's accent on "Bones". Do you know where it is from, if it is indeed from an area?

Karen from Rock the Doc is from Chicago or thereabouts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hah! I tried to save that photo and/or make it my PC wallpaper, but apparently you can't do that at twitter (or I don't know how). Still grinning like a fool! :D

Biff,
    IN this link go to the bottom right hand corner and click on "details"
    https://twitter.com/oldschoolhotel/status/329266940847722496/photo/1

It will bring up this link
    https://twitter.com/oldschoolhotel/status/329266940847722496

Right click on the photo and save or copy it to your computer. :)
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just finished looking at all six new photos at the Old School Hotel twitter site and they've set me all a'twitter! OMG! Okay, I guess I should put all of this into a spoiler thing, right?

Oh, I can say this "out loud".

I see the director's name in image #3 and it's Nigel Cole, so those of you who were speculating and trying to figure this out, you were right!

Mona, in image #4, I win (for once)! Too bad you never took me up on my suggestion of a $5 bet a couple of weeks ago. :D

DM's suit looks almost baggy on him as he stands in front of the surgery in image #5. We had already seen from other photos that he's lost a lot of weight, but it almost looks like they failed to fully alter the suit. Maybe it's just the way he's standing there.
    Photo #1: there's that dress with the wild print! It's pleated in the front, which explains why it sort of poofed out in a strategic place in the first photo we saw in which CC had put on her winter coat. I see that she and the blonde haired girl seem to be holding copies of a small newspaper, which bears out what we've heard about the review of Large Restaurant. Looks like the name is "The Portwenn Junior Journal."

Photo #4: OMG and the RELIEF is just washing over me! I can't stop smiling!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Happy happy joy joy, happy happy joy joy. Okay, I'll stop now.

I don't see pictures with that URL. Just the one shot of the hotel and can't find anything else. I did see the one leading to the school sign.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hm. I'm fascinated by your second paragraph in the spoiler. Trying to figure out what this means :confused:.

Thanks for continuing to be one of our scouts in PI.
    >>>>Later, DM and LG walked down Fore Street arguing, only to be interrupted by JP asking them if they "feel any better or different now". He greeted them with a "look who it is" so I am guessing this is shortly after the wedding.

Later, AR parked her car right in front of a no park zone and Penhale immediately confronted her - she talked him into letting her go since she would be 2 minutes. She returned later to find a ticket on her car and a single rose on her front seat. Hmm....<<<<

Did you mean the "feel any better now?"
    Won't he be referring to if they feel better now that they're married???

I find the next paragraph perplexing. Who gave her the rose??? Not Penhale, I hope.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would seem they hopefully didn't argue over whether she'd keep her last name! Thank heaven.

Did we have a competition going about this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzieblue wrote: »

Wow, wow, wow. Thank you so much for all the interesting info. Especially about the order they film in.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't have to be on twitter to see the photos. I can see them in my iPhone. Click on the little photo of the hotel & it takes you to their page then click on photos.

You do need to be on Facebook to see Facebook photos.

Thanks for the directions, cc.cookie. I didn't know to click on the tiny hotel photo. Now I got to see them!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I don't see pictures with that URL. Just the one shot of the hotel and can't find anything else. I did see the one leading to the school sign.

Try this:
    https://twitter.com/oldschoolhotel

All the photos are on the left hand side. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Thanks for the directions, cc.cookie. I didn't know to click on the tiny hotel photo. Now I got to see them!

Great! Our posts must have crossed. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    Karen from Rock the Doc is from Chicago or thereabouts.

Michaela Conlin (Angela) is from Pennsylvania so I guess they are close? North of North America anyway.
This discussion has been closed.