The Ratings Thread (Part 58)

1331332333334335337»

Comments

• BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Actually tonight they are also away from Walford with a trip to Oxford. Next week there is light hearted and Happy storylines running alongside the murder plot (Minus Thurs which is half hour set in the beales house)
    You pitch it well but alas I'll be spending my Easter doing something more constructive. I'm working anyway today, so the last thing I'll want to do when getting home is stick something morbid like that on. NCIS and Gogglebox will do me nicely, thank you.

I think EE's problems have been put under the microscope even more because of how the fans have conducted themselves on here in recent years. When ratings fell the excuse was the last EP was no good and the stories were rubbish. So they've got a new boss in, the show has supposedly improved dramatically and yet not only have ratings not lifted, they are even down on where they were before when it was reportedly utterly dire. So how on earth can this be considered in a positive light?
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,271
    Forum Member
    johnnymc wrote: »
    I think that my 6.8 prediction may seem rather high now considering the figures for "EastEnders" in the past week. I agree that Mondays episode is likely to see the benefits of the aftermath.

I would have thought old viewers tuning in would be on board by this point in the week if they are coming in to the story.
    I don't think tonight's EastEnders will be up, the BBC Three showing might be high though, Monday's rating is the important one especially if they're doing a big promotional push over the weekend.

Decent for yesterday's episode, the share staying above 33% is a positive sign, hopefully it can do the same tonight. There are signs there's interest in the storyline, no drops week on week despite the other soaps having them and the BBC Three repeat is up.
    Monday is the main one and across next week. Its the one that is going to be promoted. Up on last Thurs and the share has improved. BBC3 figure gets its highest since March. Tonight the figures will be about the same with monday seeing a nice boost.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect EastEnders to get a big rating on Monday if the promotional push is happening over the weekend. I think 8m - 8.5m is a realistic target considering the big push they are giving it.
  • Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Not convinced. It's still only 7M all together. Am I supposed to be impressed by that number? Because I can assure you I'm not.

Only a couple of years ago it was getting 8M at this time of year.

Um we could say the same about Corri though. At least EE seems to be consistent out of all the soaps at the moment. Where as both ED and Corri drop quite a bit.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 23,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave01 wrote: »
    It seems a strange tactic to launch a promotional blitz for Eastenders after the main event has occured. Surely casual and infrequent viewers would tune in to see an exciting/important event episode not several days after it. Unfortunately Eastenders has timed the event episode terribly and as such it could well be playing out to a low 6millions overnight rating. Then with Premier League on Monday and Champions League on Tuesday, not much chance of an aftermath boost either. The worst of it is, that thanks to their mucking around with the BBC3 episode over the last few weeks they've lost even more viewers from that showing now.
    EE just lives in it's own bubble and what they fail to recognise is they're killing off a character who means pretty much nothing to the wider public (we've seen this before when they did the same trick with I think Michael Moon, a character most people didn't know existed!) played by an actress nobody cares about - while the suspects are largely off the wider public radar too. And the two characters the wider public are familar with are probably more off-putting than a draw - the Ian/Phil stuff is as tedious as it comes really and been going on for 20 years now. One minute they're trying to kill each other - next they're crying in each others arms. Really EE, really?

For all the criticism about the planned Tina storyline in Corrie at least that involves a character and an actress who does have some profile outside of the show itself, so should be somewhat more interesting to the casual viewer I'd have thought.

P.S. I hear from sources (well, someone posted it earlier!) that the saviour of EE has no interest in a live episode for the 30th. There goes it's shot at a much needed ratings boost then.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 23,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Um we could say the same about Corri though. At least EE seems to be consistent out of all the soaps at the moment. Where as both ED and Corri drop quite a bit.
    "Consistent" seems to be a word only fans of shows that rate consistently poor use. I'm sure the BBC would love EE to be a bit more inconsistent at the moment - I'd say hitting 8m once a week but dropping down to 4m for clashes with Emmerdale is probably better than a flat 6m across the board.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burbe wrote: »
    Massive repeat figure EE on BBC 3. It's shame it doesn't somehow get included like +1 does, because it wouldn't look anywhere near as weak. Cumulative figures of 7m which isn't bad. Hopefully tonight's episode will be around 7m and a similar figure on BBC 3. BBC 1 share still holding strong at 33% though.

Emmerdale's first showing not bad, but second episode is terrible. That share is ridiculously low!

EastEnders should be must see and getting people to watch it on BBC1. The BBC3 viewers can't be that interested in watching it live and the total rating is still only 7m. Big publicised storylines tend to get 37% shares and well over 7m. Hopefully it can do that sooner rather than later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You pitch it well but alas I'll be spending my Easter doing something more constructive. I'm working anyway today, so the last thing I'll want to do when getting home is stick something morbid like that on. NCIS and Gogglebox will do me nicely, thank you.

I think EE's problems have been put under the microscope even more because of how the fans have conducted themselves on here in recent years. When ratings fell the excuse was the last EP was no good and the stories were rubbish. So they've got a new boss in, the show has supposedly improved dramatically and yet not only have ratings not lifted, they are even down on where they were before when it was reportedly utterly dire. So how on earth can this be considered in a positive light?

Forgot about Gogglebox tonight - love that show! one of my favourite shows of the week - I hope more viewers find it and ratings go up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did you see the official figures quoted yesterday for week ending 31st March? It showed Corrie remaining stable around 8.4m across the whole week, whilst EastEnders had 8.1m on Monday and dropped to 6.8m on Friday. I would say Corrie looks more healthy.
    Forum Member
    Forgot about Gogglebox tonight - love that show! one of my favourite shows of the week - I hope more viewers find it and ratings go up.
    It's good fun, I agree. I like a broader set of shows than they had last week though when it was mostly C4 focussed. It ought to be more representative than that, really.
  • Ivor FannyIvor Fanny Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why is digital spy showing GMT rather than BST
  • Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    I expect EastEnders to get a big rating on Monday if the promotional push is happening over the weekend. I think 8m - 8.5m is a realistic target considering the big push they are giving it.

Very unlikely. Unless the weather is bad and BBQs are off.
  • allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    Monday is the main one and across next week. Its the one that is going to be promoted. Up on last Thurs and the share has improved. BBC3 figure gets its highest since March. Tonight the figures will be about the same with monday seeing a nice boost.

A nice boost maybe, but what sort of a boost? EE must be getting at least 35%+ shares for this promotion to be considered a success. But I'm not convinced...EE's figures have been very very stubborn in recent months despite many positive changes and improvements in quality to the show. And while the Lucy plot may not see an initial boost, it's a story that could help the show importantly build some momentum.

But the question is, is Lucy a character people care enough about?
    Forum Member
    In a word, no.

And if they care now, they won't by February of next year which is when they are going to drag this one out to.
  • xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member

Does consistency matter when Corrie's lowest ratings are higher than EE's highest?
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder why Emmerdale is down at 8pm... can't be anything to do with the EastEnders supported MasterChef can it?

Parking Mad did better than I expected it to though so did The Walton considering how It'll Be Alright on the Night did in the slot. Hollyoaks is picking up some very good figures of late on both Channel 4 and E4 while Neighbours is matching some of Channel 5's primetime figures - very much like Pointless and The Chase on their respective networks.
    Forum Member
    Brekkie wrote: »
    EE just lives in it's own bubble and what they fail to recognise is they're killing off a character who means pretty much nothing to the wider public (we've seen this before when they did the same trick with I think Michael Moon, a character most people didn't know existed!) played by an actress nobody cares about - while the suspects are largely off the wider public radar too. And the two characters the wider public are familar with are probably more off-putting than a draw - the Ian/Phil stuff is as tedious as it comes really and been going on for 20 years now. One minute they're trying to kill each other - next they're crying in each others arms. Really EE, really?

For all the criticism about the planned Tina storyline in Corrie at least that involves a character and an actress who does have some profile outside of the show itself, so should be somewhat more interesting to the casual viewer I'd have thought.

P.S. I hear from sources (well, someone posted it earlier!) that the saviour of EE has no interest in a live episode for the 30th. There goes it's shot at a much needed ratings boost then.
    Lol...Yeah i mean the amount of times EastEnders has managed to step outside of Walford this year is about 15 times. They have used location scenes much more and even tonight they go to Oxford. How many times have the soaps gone out of its bubble?

If there was a LIVE ep everyone would be saying they are chasing ratings. They just cant win can they.
    Forum Member
    In a word, no.

And if they care now, they won't by February of next year which is when they are going to drag this one out to.

Exactly my point.

Killing off a character will only work if it's a character we care about or the aftermath is really really good.

Unfortunately, Lucy is a character I don't care about although the aftermath seems really interesting, but it's not a story that needs to be dragged until February. You could easily let it climax by Halloween time, which will give a boost going to November/December when EE has dipped a bit in recent years, then let another big story take hold for the 30th.
    Forum Member
    Rob1985 wrote: »
    Very unlikely. Unless the weather is bad and BBQs are off.
    Rain for much of UK Sun,Mon and Tues according to the latest forecast.
    A nice boost maybe, but what sort of a boost? EE must be getting at least 35%+ shares for this promotion to be considered a success. But I'm not convinced...EE's figures have been very very stubborn in recent months despite many positive changes and improvements in quality to the show. And while the Lucy plot may not see an initial boost, it's a story that could help the show importantly build some momentum.

Its not about the character its the effects it has on the family and close ones which is why The BBC is promoting the Aftermath.
    Forum Member
    Exactly my point.

Killing off a character will only work if it's a character we care about or the aftermath is really really good.

Unfortunately, Lucy is a character I don't care about although the aftermath seems really interesting, but it's not a story that needs to be dragged until February. You could easily let it climax by Halloween time, which will give a boost going to November/December when EE has dipped a bit in recent years, then let another big story take hold for the 30th.
    Its to run alongside other massive storylines and will not be the main focus all the way through.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member

People care about Ian, who'll be the one carrying most of the storyline.

They didn't choose Lucy because they thought she was a character many cared about, the opposite infact, despite being born in the show viewers don't really know that much about her, meaning that for all the viewers know she could be hiding things for years. If you think about about other non-soap whodunnits, you never start out knowing anything about the victim, they're normally dead within the first 15 minutes, but by the end you know pretty much everthing, that is what I think they're going for here.

I honestly don't think we can judge the success of the storyline, or DTC himself, until February next year. It isn't a storyline to generate one week of big ratings, it's to build momentum and put the show back on track in the long run. Obviously people will continue to criticise/praise each individual rating but it's the big picture that matters most to BBC.
    Forum Member
    Its to run alongside other massive storylines and will not be the main focus all the way through.

I am aware of that and I know that it's set to have a big summer. But to keep momentum, it'll need to be in the background simmering away otherwise people will forget about Lucy.

And look at the whodunnits which have the greatest impact on EE - Who Shot Phil? and Who Killed Archie? all lasted about a month and a half roughly-speaking. There is one lesser known one from '91 which lasted until Jan '93 on and off (Eddie Royle's death) but in an era where there were only 2 episodes a week, there was less viewer fatigue when it came to storylines.
    People care about Ian, who'll be the one carrying most of the storyline.

They didn't choose Lucy because they thought she was a character many cared about, the opposite infact, despite being born in the show viewers don't really know that much about her, meaning that for all the viewers know she could be hiding things for years. If you think about about other non-soap whodunnits, you never start out knowing anything about the victim, they're normally dead within the first 15 minutes, but by the end you know pretty much everthing, that is what I think they're going for here.

Don't get me wrong, it's a interesting angle and I have no doubt Ian and the rest of the Beales will do justice to what is set to be a plot full of many twists and turns. You're right...we don't know a great deal about Lucy, and it'll be good to see what else she's been hiding. I'm just questioning whether it's best to climax in Feb or whether it's best to climax the story earlier? That, I'm not sure. That will depend on the pacing of the story.

There will be a lot of curiosity about how this pans out because it's not a conventional whodunnit.

Continued here: The Ratings Thread (Part 59)
This discussion has been closed.