Endeavour is back soon!

Comments

• shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    nick202 wrote: »
    Sorry, what was the significance of the very final scene with the gloved hands?

The Freemasons? The Val entertainment guy threatened Morse to beware of powerful enemies and a mason stole the little black book (which the gloved hand was accepting ) from evidence and didn't hand it in to the police.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That comment 'you can not serve two masters' by Morse was very significant IMO.

I loved that end scene as it now has us guessing as to who, what, where, when.

Remember who the first police officer in charge on the scene was.

It seems unlikely to be him as he such a nice guy, but....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I may have got this wrong but did he write to his wife in the guise of his commanding officer. If so wouldn't his wife have recognised his handwriting ?

Disguised writing.
    Morse picked up on it possibly not being of officer material as the punctuation was not correct.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the ID swop plot was completely stupid. Okay, maybe if he had immediately left the country, or at least lived in seclusion, but head of a big successful company, with a wife running for parliament - surely he would run into people who had known the real Archie Batten the whole time! I was expecting them to reveal that Captain Batten had had an affair with Private Spurling's wife and that that was how come he was Frida's father.
  • FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where do I know the val entertainment guy from?
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what the music was in the last scene? Not the theme music, and not 'La Traviata'.

It was Brahms Denn alles fleisch from his Requiem

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=brahms+denn+alles+fleisch&docid=608053702899470112&mid=CC5E852E703A44D71A6ACC5E852E703A44D71A6A&view=detail&FORM=VIRE6#view=detail&mid=CC5E852E703A44D71A6ACC5E852E703A44D71A6A
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    Fantastic first episode there. Shaun Evans is so good as Morse.

Totally agree cracking start to the series.

Agree also with that!! I love him almost as much as John Thaw :D
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0922751/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Loads of stuff really...
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0922751/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t32
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • YorkshireFanYorkshireFan Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    loved the episode - I assumed the end was Strange handing over the notebook now he's a Mason, maybe that's why he became Morse's boss in the end, can't wait for next week
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Freemasons wear white gloves and many coppers are masons.

So presumably the implication is Morse upset the local masons which may have adversely affected his future career and relationships. He only became an inspector whereas his talents might have suggested more.

I see - thanks for that. Obviously a nod to the Morse episode Masonic Mysteries http://www.freemasonry.bcy.ca/fiction/images/morse/index.html
  • si29uksi29uk Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said, an over-complicated resolution but a good development of the Morse character, showing how he became the man of the original series.

It is certainly one of the best things on ITV in a long time
    Forum Member
    si29uk wrote: »
    As others have said, an over-complicated resolution but a good development of the Morse character, showing how he became the man of the original series.

It is certainly one of the best things on ITV in a long time

Indeed - I'm really enjoying it, more so than Lewis in many respects. I like Lewis but I find it a bit hollow at times in its aim to carry on the Morse legacy without the great man himself. Endeavour is more rewarding in that you get all the nods to future events.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loved the episode - I assumed the end was Strange handing over the notebook now he's a Mason, maybe that's why he became Morse's boss in the end, can't wait for next week

Oh my......I had completely forgotten about that fact.
    I have to say that tonights episode was really good for me.
    I love British drama, and that was it at its best for me tonight.
  • si29uksi29uk Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was also nice to have Copley-Barnes as a character - as he cropped up in Season 4 of Morse (played by Geoffrey Palmer)

Nice to have that integration between the two - particularly as Oxford is a very insular community and those people around in the 60s would stand a good chance of being in influential positions in the 80s and 90s.
  • bilsheenebilsheene Posts: 212
    Forum Member

David Westhead----http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0922751/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t32

Btw I spotted a goof- The year was 1966 but outside the college near a police van was parked a
    Moto Guzzi V twin motor cycle. The first V twin, the V7, came out the following year. Not sure what model it was tonight, should have recorded the episode. No doubt it will be shown again.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Loving the little Morse references, like the Wolvercote tongue and Copley Barnes (Geoffrey Palmer's character in The Infernal Serpent)

Also

One of the judges at the beauty contest was a racing driver called Daniel Griffon. Griffon was the name of the family who owned a car making firm in the pilot episode of Lewis and the son of the family was called Daniel

Colin Dexter's cameo... sitting on the bench as Morse and Thursday walked past after their first interview with the two professors
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Also

One of the judges at the beauty contest was a racing driver called Daniel Griffon. Griffon was the name of the family who owned a car making firm in the pilot episode of Lewis and the son of the family was called Daniel

Colin Dexter's cameo... sitting on the bench as Morse and Thursday walked past after their first interview with the two professors

Well-spotted - I hadn't picked upon on that. I thought the name being said was 'Griffin' rather than 'Griffon'.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well-spotted - I hadn't picked upon on that. I thought the name being said was 'Griffin' rather than 'Griffon'.

Well I had the subtitles on :)

Also it may have been an in-joke on the part of Russell Lewis who has written all the episodes of Endeavour and was the co-writer of the Lewis pilot
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what the music was in the last scene? Not the theme music, and not 'La Traviata'.

You might be referring to Brahms' A German Requiem which was at the beginning and end. I was pleased when I heard it as it's one of my favourite classical works.

Another fab episode - Shaun Evans as awesome as ever as Morse.
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Also

Yes I spotted Colin Dexter on the bench doing his Hitchcock moment! He seemed to be looking at the camera a lot!
  • FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »

Cheers I looked on imdb but thought I'd got the wrong bloke , the answer is obviously I don't recognise him at all
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    Yes I spotted Colin Dexter on the bench doing his Hitchcock moment! He seemed to be looking at the camera a lot!

I did not, I will keep my eyes open better next time.
    I just tried to find it on youtube, not up yet.
  • marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved it. So glad it's back.

Great episode but, at the time it was revealed, i was a little disapointed that, out of the possible suspects, it turned out it was three of them and the link was a lodge. Thought it was a simplistic explaination. But with the twist at the end, maybe it's not so simplistic...

A bit strange that they didn't make more fuss about the missing notebook; i thought there would be an internal investigation but no. Probably another thing linked with that lodge.
    Probably as a decoy, the number on the paper was readable also upside down; i thought it would be relevant.

Remember a lot from the original Morse but not all of it; is that neighbour nurse part of the continuety?