"Cure Me, I'm Gay" - Channel 4 - 18/03/14

Comments

• MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    lealeeds wrote: »
    Some appalling and frankly shocking views on here even entertaining the idea that being Gay can be changed.Im not even using the term "cured"

Its laughable, you cure something that is wrong being gay isn't wrong
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its laughable, you cure something that is wrong being gay isn't wrong

It's homophobia that needs curing
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    This kind of makes me feel a little bit sick.
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    So you're saying someone else has already been to the exact same places he is going to and done a documentary about it ?

I'm saying that conversion treatments have been studied. What would happen if a scientist presented this show? Would he discover that the therapy suddenly wiped out a gay gene inside the brain of the participants?
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    I'm saying that conversion treatments have been studied. What would happen if a scientist presented this show? Would he discover that the therapy suddenly wiped out a gay gene inside the brain of the participants?

I'm not sure a gay gene has been found.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure a gay gene has been found.

I didn't say it has. What is the scientist looking for that hasn't already been found? What is he there to do that hasn't already been done?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't say it has. What is the scientist looking for that hasn't already been found? What is he there to do that hasn't already been done?

Based on an attitude like that you could negate most scientific investigations. Most things have been studied repeatedly and yet new findings still come up.
  • David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lealeeds wrote: »
    Some appalling and frankly shocking views on here even entertaining the idea that being Gay can be changed.Im not even using the term "cured"

What annoys me about statements like that is that people will walk around with all sorts of conditions yet claim they are natural and being gay isn't and needs cured. So there's nothing wrong with having a whole heap of medical problems as long as you're heterosexual.

Surely it's as simple as it's natural to be healthy and well and to focus on improving your health both mental and physical and if you aren't doing that you get mentally unwell or physically unwell...so if someone is just gay, and they are healthy....it don't make sense. There's literally nothing to cure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Based on an attitude like that you could negate most scientific investigations. Most things have been studied repeatedly and yet new findings still come up.

Attitude like what? I'm simply saying that conversion therapies have been studied over and over again and there's nothing to suggest that they work. There's no evidence that there is anything to "cure", so what exactly is this hypothetical scientist looking for? I'm simply curious.
  • Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the age of around 20, your brain stops being as susceptible to new things as it previously was. A sexual kink or fetish, for example, can be hardwired very quickly before the age of 20 but not so much afterwards. This is why conversion therapy has virtually no success rate; they're trying to train the person's brain to find the opposite gender sexually attractive

To use an example, it's widely believed that foot fetishes are caused by a baby or young child having their feet rubbed by their mother and becoming unconsciously aroused by it. However, if an adult has their feet rubbed, they don't develop a foot fetish
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Attitude like what? I'm simply saying that conversion therapies have been studied over and over again and there's nothing to suggest that they work. There's no evidence that there is anything to "cure", so what exactly is this hypothetical scientist looking for? I'm simply curious.

You're not curious atall or you wouldn't be dismissing the fact that most things are studied repeatedly, regardless of whether minds are already made up about them.
  • daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr Christian was on This Morning saying that one of the 'healers' confiscated his Adele cd as it was too gay. Where do these morons get their ideas.
    The sad thing is that these people actually exist in this day and age and prey on people who are vulnerable. It's sick.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does being gay need to be cured?

I don't get why some people are so against difference. The world is such a beautiful place because everyone is so varied and different. Why do some want a boring world to live in where we're all the same, we all think and act the same? Imagine how boring a world that would be!
  • daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does being gay need to be cured?

I don't get why some people are so against difference. The world is such a beautiful place because everyone is so varied and different. Why do some want a boring world to live in where we're all the same, we all think and act the same? Imagine how boring a world that would be!

Didn't you get the memo, Gay's are trying to turn children gay, it says it's wrong in the bible, blah, blah, blah.
    The fact is some people (usually religious dogooders) think that they are entitled to have an opinion on something that is of no concern to them. As someone else said it's not homosexuals that need to be cured, it's the bigots views.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would be interesting to see hetro's turn gay for a week if being gay is just a lifestyle choice
  • ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as this show focuses on the 'treatments' themselves, and not people undergoing them. Seeing Dr Christian on This Morning and he said when a patient asked to be 'cured' of being gay he felt offended, as he sees nothing wrong with being gay. It's too easy for proud gay men to turn their ire on "self-hating" gay people who seek the 'cures' when the real problem is the ones offering them. I always get uncomfortable when people get angry at people seeking the 'cures' in the first place, not the witch-doctors preying on the vulnerable.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to this and will be playing the 'Count The Religious References' game.

"It is wrong! It must be cured!" - Says who? "Oh errrrrr ummm God tells us." Big rolleyes here.
    Forum Member
    Yes, where and when is the cure the religious of their mental afflictions programme on?
    Forum Member
    Yes will be watching through my hands, as a gay man I think its going to upset me just from the previews ive seen

Just laugh at their otter mindless stupidity and laugh AT them!

I mean come on these people really think that there is a sky fairy telling them what to do. Pity them. They have no superiority over sane rational people.
    Forum Member
    How can you expect a confident gay man to enter this with a completely open mind? He is not a self hating person who truly wishes to change and I highly doubt he views his sexuality as something that can truly be "cured". He's simply doing an experiment.

But hating what you are or even what you have as a medical condition doesn't cure you of it in any way.

What next? People who have ginger hair and don't like it told they can grow black hair by praying to God and taking an ice cold shower 3 times a day?

In fact most of this programme can be ignored and the main point to look out for is why are these people claiming that gayness is someone that can and or should be cured. The buck stops with them. I shall be listening with great interest at their supporting evidence and trying not to laugh too much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not curious atall or you wouldn't be dismissing the fact that most things are studied repeatedly, regardless of whether minds are already made up about them.

Thank you for telling me how I feel. I am very curious to know what studies a scientist would be conducting and I would also like to know how you feel you can tell me otherwise.

I'm not saying that further studies can't be made, I am asking how they will be made. What will a scientist making a TV programme do differently to everyone else?
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone :) Looking forward to this! Didn't Scott Mills try some "gay cures" when he did his The Worst Place to be Gay programme? I seem to remember him being hit with a dead bird?
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    Hello everyone :) Looking forward to this! Didn't Scott Mills try some "gay cures" when he did his The Worst Place to be Gay programme? I seem to remember him being hit with a dead bird?

And we are to take these nutters seriously? :D
    Forum Member
    "The spirit of perversion was cast out"

Wow religious nonsense and we haven't got out of the titles yet!
  • HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it highlights just how ridiculous it is to even think gay people can be " cured " .
This discussion has been closed.