I hate Barclays Bank

scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I hate barclays bank they are stupid idiots.

I have a intrest free account with an overdraft allowence of £250 which im only £79 into. they decided to close down my account and send my details to a credit collecting agency without telling me. I have my pay going in to this account. I only knew about this when pay role couldn't pay me my monthly wage and was given a cheque.
I have been into the bank had argued with them about this but they are not accepting responsiblity and that it is in the hands of the debt collectors now. Worse now they want me to pay a £50 admin fee, for there troubles, and the debt agency has added £20 on top as well

So this is why I hate barclays bank.

Ill pay them what I owe but im not paying any admin or extra fees. They can stick it where the sun dont shine.

Comments

• ilovekrysilovekrys Posts: 1,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good for you they are one of the worse banks going :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scruffpot wrote:
    I hate barclays bank they are stupid idiots.

I have a intrest free account with an overdraft allowence of £250 which im only £79 into. they decided to close down my account and send my details to a credit collecting agency without telling me. I have my pay going in to this account. I only knew about this when pay role couldn't pay me my monthly wage and was given a cheque.
    I have been into the bank had argued with them about this but they are not accepting responsiblity and that it is in the hands of the debt collectors now. Worse now they want me to pay a £50 admin fee, for there troubles, and the debt agency has added £20 on top as well

So this is why I hate barclays bank.

Ill pay them what I owe but im not paying any admin or extra fees. They can stick it where the sun dont shine.

no offense but something in your post doesn't quite add up? :confused: I'm pretty sure they wouldn't just do that for the fun of it. There must be a reason
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you do sort out that nasty bank induced mess, for gods sake DO NOT get a Natwest account. Natwest? More like Naziwest, that bank that forgets it's your money!!

They did the same to me as what Barclays did to you :mad: :mad:
  • ThanhukThanhuk Posts: 8,433
    Forum Member
    Like I say to many people with Barclays accounts - goto HSBC. You will never look back!
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alone wrote:
    no offense but something in your post doesn't quite add up? :confused: I'm pretty sure they wouldn't just do that for the fun of it. There must be a reason

I wasnt given a reason, all i was told was because of their banking policy my account was closed. I asked them so what was there banking policy the manager skirted around the issue saying that I was in my over draft, then i pointed out it was intrest free overaft there wasnt a time limit on paying it back and that i had regualr pay going into this account which more then 10 times the amount i owe them.
    But he said 'it is closed now and is in the hands of the debt agency'. I said 'you can have what i owe you now in cash' he said 'no I had to go through the debt agency and pay the admin fees'

I told him to stick it where the sun dont shine and that i was going to go above him and report him and the bank.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,285
    Forum Member
    Barclays Bank....My first Bank, and I closed it within a few months.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    scottsw4 wrote:
    When you do sort out that nasty bank induced mess, for gods sake DO NOT get a Natwest account. Natwest? More like Naziwest, that bank that forgets it's your money!!

They did the same to me as what Barclays did to you :mad: :mad:

Have to agree with this regarding National Westminster Bank.
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My ex-fiance was in banking and at Barclays, he was an arse so I don't doubt the bank is. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PamelaL wrote:
    My ex-fiance was in banking and at Barclays, he was an arse so I don't doubt the bank is. :D

PMSL!:D Don't mince your words do you!!
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote:

:D

I went out with a girl who worked at Barclay's. She couldn't even count (not using a watch anyway) She often stood me up! Bloody cheek. :)
  • topcat2topcat2 Posts: 6,265
    Forum Member
    Report them to the banking authority. Be wary with Lloyds they are useless too. I have an interest free overdraft because i'm a student and they once tried to stop that for no reason and make me pay fees. :(
    They also forgot once to send me a new card for a month and a half despite me phoning up and going into the bank ten times I was not amused!!

Useless!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An overdraft is repayable on demand. They must have written to you to demand payment before they closed the account? Did you have no correspondance whatsoever?? Seems very odd, especially if they could see a regular income going into the account.

I've had a Barclays account for over 12 years and never had a problem. When I was a student and in debt, they never got stroppy. Now that I'm not a student, and not in debt, they're still fine.

The shear fact that the big banks have so many customers is going to lead to a fair few complaints, and none of them are exactly wonderful!
  • AstraZenAstraZen Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had an account with barclays for the past 10 years or so and have not had a problem. Not all branches treat people like shit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barclays bank are great, been with them for 3 years of student life, got an interest free overdraft of £1250 and never had any problems with them increasing it.

I suggest you make regular payments into the account, otherwise they'll think you're not going to pay the overdraft back and refer you to a debt collection agency.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alone wrote:

It does to me. My experience of banks recently has been a negative one. They make a lot of mistakes, and a lot of really irritating, nonsensical decisions, which seem designed to wind up customers.

I think the OP is entirely right not to pay any admin fee, which is a virtually criminal racket anyway. I'd let it go to court and invite the press and media for coverage of their extortion.

Have you thought of contacting Paul Lewis at Radio 4's "Moneybox" programme. He's like a rottweiler with banks ~ link here
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barclays are rob-dogs!
    They tried to con my mum out of some money a few years back. It's a long story, but they were in the wrong. She took on their legal department and won the case. I wouldn't touch them with a very long barge pole!
  • potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    Barclays have been very good to me so I can't complain.
    Once they sent me a letter with a refund saying sorry you complained lol when I didn't even complain and they gave me £30, they have also been the only business to help me when I couldn't get credit elsewhere..
    Been with them sinse I was 3.
    I find it very susipicious that they could accidently close down your account for no reason, write a formal complaint to them and explain what happened and the distress that they have caused you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im with Nationwide, along with my mum and dad who have been with them since they got married, we've never ever had a problem our lives!

Thats really unlucky scruffpot, I think you should take it further. Its unfair that they should mess about with your money for no valid reason. :eek:
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    scruffpot,

It does sound like the bank has made a clerical error. The best way to deal with this is to arrange a meeting with your bank manager. Take along at least three month's worth of statements so that you can show them the the account does indeed have an overdraft facility (it states this on the statements), and that it is generally in the black and that it never went beyond the o/d limit. It's very hard for them to maintain an argument when they have incontravertible evidence in front of them. At this point, they should recall the debt from the collection agency. If they do not, whetever you do, *don't* simply refuse to pay the fees. I've seen friends try to take that kind of stance in the past and simply end up getting CCJs no matter how unfair the penalties & fees seemed. Instead, raise the issue to the FSA and ask for a preliminary investigation. Invariably, they will put enough weight on the bank to avoid you being out of pocket.
  • mulldoonmulldoon Posts: 4,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like a Barclays every now and again!!! ;):D:D:D
  • topcat2topcat2 Posts: 6,265
    Forum Member
    http://www.personal.barclays.co.uk/BRC1/jsp/brccontrol?task=articleFWgroup&value=6294&target=_self&site=pfs

they even state you will be given 14 days notice so I should think you should have a case for not paying charges.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do hope many of you people are never asked to do Jury Service, some of you have heard one biased side of a story, and made a judgement.

There are always 2 sides to every story, personally I think that we have not had the full story.
  • Mad PixieMad Pixie Posts: 2,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mulldoon wrote:
    I like a Barclays every now and again!!! ;):D:D:D

I wondered who would do the joke! ;)
  • mulldoonmulldoon Posts: 4,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madpixie2 wrote:
    I wondered who would do the joke! ;)
    Sorry!! :o:o:D