Options

apple tv

sirogsirog Posts: 315
Forum Member
Before I dash off to buy an apple tv box has anyone had any experience of now tv sports. I ask because I get judder on my now tv box and chromecast. Not being technical at all as I understand the apple tv can output at 50 hz so should eliminate the judder. I need to be sure that this will solve the problem before buying

Comments

• Options
    victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have used the NowTV box with the day pass for Rugby and F1 and have never had a juddering picture. Are you sure its not your internet connection that causes this problem?
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The NowTV box does suffer from 'judder', but it's something that not everyone notices. I presume there's a scientific reason for this, like how some people are unable to hear sound above a certain frequency..

As it's based on the American made Roku devices, the Now TV box operates at 60hz but UK TV is only 50hz. That means 10hz are missing every second and results in the judder.

It's discussed on another forum here: http://www.tvforum.co.uk/mediatech/now-tv-40391/page-4

And here's an article about the Xbox One which, when watching TV via the Xbox, suffered the same issue with the number of hertz: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/26/xbox-one-juddering-plagues-uk-tv-watchers
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    apple TV can be forced to o/p 50 Hz in its menu. If left on auto it sometimes judders on iPlayer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    apple TV can be forced to o/p 50 Hz in its menu. If left on auto it sometimes judders on iPlayer.

Iplayer? On Apple TV?
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    akki007 wrote: »
    Iplayer? On Apple TV?

BBC iPlayer, ITV Player and All 4, I use it in conjunction with my iPad for streaming services. There is very little native material on apple TV of interest to me, I just use it as a way of getting my iPad on to a big screen.
  • Options
    heedlessmunkeyheedlessmunkey Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    I imagine it would be judder free, my lg tv app is perfectly smooth even the sky sports news banners.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC iPlayer, ITV Player and All 4, I use it in conjunction with my iPad for streaming services. There is very little native material on apple TV of interest to me, I just use it as a way of getting my iPad on to a big screen.

Ah, you need to grab yourself a Comcast login and geoshift to the USA!
  • Options
    sirogsirog Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    Just to update. Tried an apple tv box and to be honest the picture on 50hz was better but still not like watching on satellite. So back to the drawing board. Stick with the now box and judder or subscribe to sky
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know when the new Apple TV will be released. I know they've announced it, but I can't seem to find a release date.
  • Options
    Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 2015 Apple TV will be released tomorrow but you will need to order it online today if you want it tomorrow. It won't be available in stores just yet.

BBC have announced that they will be releasing a native iPlayer app for the device in the coming months.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34660204
  • Options
    ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ I can also confirm that ITV have no changed their stance despite ITV Hub being launched late November. They still have no plans to launch on the ATV4, even with their new Hub.

As for Australian readers here, things look a little more positive down under.

On launch day, TenPlay should also be found on the device (it was already on the older model), with SBS expecting an app before Xmas. Both Plus7 and 9Now (the new version replacing 9JumpIn) have both said they will be on early next year, leaving only ABC's iView silent at this stage.

That's 4 out of 5 Australian FTA catch-up services confirmed, but only 1 UK FTA catch-up service so far. Quite a turn-around really, as in the past, the UK was generally speaking the fasting country in getting their FTA catch-up apps onto new platforms.
  • Options
    OrangyOrangy Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ovbg wrote: »
    ^^ I can also confirm that ITV have no changed their stance despite ITV Hub being launched late November. They still have no plans to launch on the ATV4, even with their new Hub.

As for Australian readers here, things look a little more positive down under.

On launch day, TenPlay should also be found on the device (it was already on the older model), with SBS expecting an app before Xmas. Both Plus7 and 9Now (the new version replacing 9JumpIn) have both said they will be on early next year, leaving only ABC's iView silent at this stage.

That's 4 out of 5 Australian FTA catch-up services confirmed, but only 1 UK FTA catch-up service so far. Quite a turn-around really, as in the past, the UK was generally speaking the fasting country in getting their FTA catch-up apps onto new platforms.

Interesting. Hopefully it's still easy enough to swap countries on the ATV4 given that Smart DNS is easy to set up.

It's a shame it's not possible to have apps from multiple countries at once. I might leave my ATV2 hooked up but set up under a US account and in the US to give a couple of extra channels, leaving my ATV4 set up for the UK, but using US Netflix with SmartDNS (1080) and the ATV2 with UK Netflix (720). Confusing! HA.
  • Options
    Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it seems like my dns service is not ready for the new apple tv and most apps aren't working
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay-Cee wrote: »
    it seems like my dns service is not ready for the new apple tv and most apps aren't working

Which ones are not working. I have had reasonably good success so far.

Interestingly though, Now TV is not there, despite being on the old ATV.

Just to put that into perspective, most apps are just carried straight across from the old ATV and still have the old UI. I was experiencing problems with the old Now TV ATV app recently, so perhaps they are trying to fix it before bringing it across... but, it could also be that they are also holding back on new platforms that compete against their Now TV Box. Not on the Fire TV or Android TV either...

TVPlayer is surprisingly on though.

This means that the number of British broadcasters on the new Apple TV at launch is... zero. That is rather poor to be honest.

On the positive side, you can not only mix apps from multiple countries onto the single hub, but it is also easier to swap between the iTunes stores to install them. Easier than iOS that is, as it lists all your iTunes stores in one go and you can flip between them. Once installed, all apps appear side-by-side.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which ones are not working. I have had reasonably good success so far.

Interestingly though, Now TV is not there, despite being on the old ATV.

Just to put that into perspective, most apps are just carried straight across from the old ATV and still have the old UI. I was experiencing problems with the old Now TV ATV app recently, so perhaps they are trying to fix it before bringing it across... but, it could also be that they are also holding back on new platforms that compete against their Now TV Box. Not on the Fire TV or Android TV either...

TVPlayer is surprisingly on though.

This means that the number of British broadcasters on the new Apple TV at launch is... zero. That is rather poor to be honest.

On the positive side, you can not only mix apps from multiple countries onto the single hub, but it is also easier to swap between the iTunes stores to install them. Easier than iOS that is, as it lists all your iTunes stores in one go and you can flip between them. Once installed, all apps appear side-by-side.

Netflix. I can select my profile but contents does not load. Hulu takes forever to load and comes back with error. Same with abc. Have not tested nbcsn don't want to ruin it. I have contacted them. Also after changing dns I rebooted the device. Do I need router?

Yea I was surprise with the more than 1 id. And it's so so easy to change the log ins.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok i tried again this morning, seems like my dns works well. i'm still nervous but so far its good
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I began testing mine last night, and Netflix and Hulu worked great. In fact, I've never seen Hulu work so well. Perhaps their new servers dedicated for the ATV4 are still underused.

TVPlayer was giving me horrid quality for most of the day, but late last night it suddenly got better. How is TVPlayer working for everyone else?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those interested in the ATV4 with Smart DNS in mind, a hands-on can be found at this link with that as the focus. There are screenshots of the mixed hub, DNS config screen etc, and all the main streaming apps currently available from selected countries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seems like i am unable to watch live match on AT4. "Unable to load content". I can watch replays, just not live match. This sucks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay-Cee wrote: »
    seems like i am unable to watch live match on AT4. "Unable to load content". I can watch replays, just not live match. This sucks

emailed them and they asked me to change server and it worked.
  • Options
    icebergxicebergx Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    The new ATV is pretty good so far. I have a US, UK, Indian, New Zealand and UAE Apple IDs, so can easily grab apps from those stores. As Jo said, It's much, much, much easier to flip between Apple IDs, to access different stores quickly. I have a US TWC logon, so can access most US content via Smart DNS, but the number of FTA apps in other stores is limited for the time being. This is where I expect to see massive growth in the next 6-12 months.
    From a football perspective, it'll be interesting to see who picks up the international rights in the various territories. The US is confirmed (NBC SN) but I'm sure others will follow suit.

Something to note. If you don't plan on playing more than the odd game on the system, don't bother with getting the 64GB. I've installed all the US TV apps and a few from other territories and it's taken up a just under 2GB. You don't need the storage for movies, as it's a streaming only device.
    You can also pick one up cheaper on Gumtree and eBay. Expect to pay around £100.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Very much agree. There is a free app that will give you a clear rundown on how much space you have taken, and with so many streaming apps already, I'm pretty much only at 3GB right now.

While the US has the most amount of apps, other countries will certainly be adding them quickly. I think we will see the fastest uptake of apps ever seen on a set-top-box.

3NOW from NZ has suddenly arrived, and works great despite streaming from the other side of the world (I'm using Getflix to unblock them). 3NOW is a free-to-air catch-up TV service, so it can sit next to all the others users may have if you use Smart DNS.

While the UK is pretty empty, the BBC have announced an app will arrive and I am pretty sure the others will follow a lot quicker than what we have seen on the Fire TV.

Australia currently only has TenPlay, but all the others pretty much plan to be on soon.

So probably within a year from now, I wouldn't be surprised to see all of the major English language FTA television services from around the world sitting side-by-side including BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, Demand 5, UKTV Play, PBS, ABC iView (AU), SBS On-Demand, Plus7, 9NOW, TenPlay, TVNZ On Demand and 3NOW. That's a lot of free TV!

(I would add the American services in there such as NBC, ABC, CBS and FOX, but the Americans tend to charge for free-to-air television by forcing a cable TV subscription - the model ITV would like to take if they could).

That said, Crackle is also free, and History, Lifetime and A&E have a lot of free stuff as well, even if it is mostly uninteresting.

Add Netflix, Now TV and Hulu to that list and the choice on one box is breathtaking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^^ Very much agree. There is a free app that will give you a clear rundown on how much space you have taken, and with so many streaming apps already, I'm pretty much only at 3GB right now.

While the US has the most amount of apps, other countries will certainly be adding them quickly. I think we will see the fastest uptake of apps ever seen on a set-top-box.

3NOW from NZ has suddenly arrived, and works great despite streaming from the other side of the world (I'm using Getflix to unblock them). 3NOW is a free-to-air catch-up TV service, so it can sit next to all the others users may have if you use Smart DNS.

While the UK is pretty empty, the BBC have announced an app will arrive and I am pretty sure the others will follow a lot quicker than what we have seen on the Fire TV.

Australia currently only has TenPlay, but all the others pretty much plan to be on soon.

So probably within a year from now, I wouldn't be surprised to see all of the major English language FTA television services from around the world sitting side-by-side including BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, Demand 5, UKTV Play, PBS, ABC iView (AU), SBS On-Demand, Plus7, 9NOW, TenPlay, TVNZ On Demand and 3NOW. That's a lot of free TV!

(I would add the American services in there such as NBC, ABC, CBS and FOX, but the Americans tend to charge for free-to-air television by forcing a cable TV subscription - the model ITV would like to take if they could).

That said, Crackle is also free, and History, Lifetime and A&E have a lot of free stuff as well, even if it is mostly uninteresting.

Add Netflix, Now TV and Hulu to that list and the choice on one box is breathtaking.

Jo, I've written a couple of questions/comments/suggestions that would be great if you could look at.

One was that, it would be great if you had a list on your site of all/the main TV apps from around the world, and if you could (very simply ) indicate if they are FTA or require a sub.

Second, was if Zattoo Switzerland App is the same as the German one? I understand I'd need to set my Zatoo region to Switzerland, but will it work if the app is from the german app store?

Keep up the good work :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    icebergx wrote: »
    Jo, I've written a couple of questions/comments/suggestions that would be great if you could look at.

One was that, it would be great if you had a list on your site of all/the main TV apps from around the world, and if you could (very simply ) indicate if they are FTA or require a sub.

Second, was if Zattoo Switzerland App is the same as the German one? I understand I'd need to set my Zatoo region to Switzerland, but will it work if the app is from the german app store?

Keep up the good work :)

Thanks Icebergx.

That's a great idea. I'll look at some way to do that list, either in a sticky post or some other way. I'd like to create some sort of spreadsheet that I could easily update as well, which would people could select say which country they would like to access, and which Smart DNS provider they use, what is FTA or under Sub, and it would then list everything currently available on the platform of their choice. It would need to be really easy for me to amend as well so I can keep it up to date, but this is a big project...

hmmm... may have to start smaller...

Regarding Zattoo, you can use Zattoo installed from any country, and just get your Smart DNS to point to Switzerland. If they don't offer a choice, they usually default to Switzerland.

I have the German one, but I actually noticed it in the UK Apple TV App store... maybe I was imagining it. But if you don't have a German iTunes account, try looking there as well.

Zattoo on the Apple TV doesn't yet offer their recordings and catch-up, but they plan to add these on upcoming updates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks Icebergx.

That's a great idea. I'll look at some way to do that list, either in a sticky post or some other way. I'd like to create some sort of spreadsheet that I could easily update as well, which would people could select say which country they would like to access, and which Smart DNS provider they use, what is FTA or under Sub, and it would then list everything currently available on the platform of their choice. It would need to be really easy for me to amend as well so I can keep it up to date, but this is a big project...

hmmm... may have to start smaller...

In it's simplest form, maybe setup an open Google Doc spreadsheet? That would be a good first step. Anybody can go to it, add a few rows for a relevant country, or just look at what others have listed.
    I'm pretty sure the ATV will become one of the top 2-3 streaming boxes, so I recon lots of people would be interested in this.